GeForce3 memory bandwidth limitations

G

I read somewhere (I forget where) that the GPU of the GeForce3 can only be utilized about 30% because of memory bandwidth limitations.

There is no memory with more bandwidth than DDR except for Rambus, which I guess is not good in graphics cards because of the higher latency. So what is the next step to improve the memory bandwidth for graphics cards?

I would think that if Nvidia were to release a GeForce3 Pro or Ultra a few months from now they would have to come up with a solution to the memory bandwidth problem.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Memory bandwidth problems? The Geforce3 comes with the new memory-crossbar interface. This allows it to utilize its bandwidth, although theoretically the same aas the Ultras, 4 times more efficiently. It split its 400MHz Bandwidth into 4 seperate 100MHz interfaces, thereforce freeing up bandwidth when a smaller data package is going through the card.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The architecture is near perfect but it is the memory it self. It kinda needs memory with lower access times.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

TRENDING THREADS