GeForce or ATI??

G

I have not bought a video card in over 2 years, so I need to know which one is going to perform better. I can afford either a ATI DDR Radeon or a GeForce 32 DDR. I dont know which one is better. They are both definitly better than my TNT2 Ultra, so I need to know...Please help, and I hope I dont get any Biased answers!

G

My friend has a 500Mhz athlon, and we're wonding if it would make a big dif in performance if he got a MX over a Radeon anything?

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well if your going to get a GeForce wait 'til the GeForce3 hits the store and all the saps buy it at $550 a pop. That'll drop the GeForce2 Ultras considerably and may actually make them affordable.

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">link</A>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
There is another option, KyroII in Hercules 3d Prophet 4500. Interesting review at AnAndTech. For a $149 card it beat the Geforce 2 Ultra in a number of benchmarks. Impressive. So start considering that option also.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
What are you talking about,
<font color=blue>Geforce DDR beats everything except GF2 GTS/Pro or Ultra.</font color=blue>
I disagree with you on a number of test, each card has its strengths and weaknesses. In VilligeMark and 3dMark2001 for the same processor the Radeon beats the GF2/pro and comes close to the Ultra. 2d is better on the Radeon as well as video. GF2 beats the Radeon on most 16bit benchmarks by a rather large margine but in 32bit and higher resolutions the Radeon sneaks by.

G

Here's an interesting little peice with the MX, radeon ddr, LE.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/radeon-le.html
You mean GF2 GTS 32meg right? Don't bother with the GF1 DDR, it hasn't dropped in price in a long time and often isn't much better than the GF2MX.

I'm a bit torn as to what is the best card to get.
Sub $100:
1. Radeon LE - clearly with hyperZ the performance rocks but I'm not 100% sure what the success rate is with enabling it (I've heard some statements saying that you might not be able to enable it). The above link says that it's ALWAYS enabled in OpenGl. This makes me think that the chances of success in D3D are 100%. The LE's 32-bit performance is very very nice, it's not really ment to do 16-bit (about the same speed as 32). The OC potential seems to be very nice going from what individuals have said and this review.
2. GF2MX is a decent card but often the performance isn't tremedously faster than a TNT2 ultra (mainly 32-bit, 16-bit it's much faster)
Sub $150: (not ranking)
-KyroII - This card has some very interesting performance to it. The problem seems to be that it's not always consistant. Sometimes it's freakishly fast (GF2 ultra), other times it's pretty close to an MX. It seems that sometimes the lack of T&L hurt it, other times when you'd expect no T&L to hurt, it doesn't. Also, you'll hear people also say the price of the card will be $150. However this is the suggested retail price, so likely web prices will be a fair bit lower.
- GF2 GTS - clearly a great card and you can't go wrong with it. Leadtek's card with 5.5ns (instead of normal 6)memory is pretty cheap and thus interesting. Beware not all Leadteks have the 5.5ns. Doesn't matter much if you go with a different brand.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
How can you ensure that a Leadtek has 5.5ns ram? Looking for a good card for a linux system. Is there a way before buying to ensure you get the faster therefore more overclockable ram?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I love my Radeon 64 but I am looking for a card that does Linux. Just something else to waste my excess time one. Fortunately or not it looks like nVidia maybe a better choice there with official driver support. Planning to build a second computer system just for linux and maybe BeOS which does run the Radeon well. Might use my 800mhz classic Athlon and Abit KA7 for it. Any info on linux and the Radeon I would much appreciate. Would love to buy a Radeon LE because by far it is the best deal for a video card anywhere except I already own a Radeon and my purpose is for linux. Radeon would still be my number one choice for a Windows machine because in how I use my computer. My second computer besides my laptop has different requirements which may mean a nVidia card which is just fine for me if it performs well there. Does anyone here have a nVidia card GeForce and up running linux? How does it run? Strengths and weaknesses I would appretiate. Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 03/19/01 08:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

In response to the guy who posted this thread:

for 75 dollars and free shipping you can get an ATI Radeon 32MB DDR LE.... enabling hyperz in D3d IS 100%... its just plain simple, its only a registry setting so it can't fail... overclocking?? the retail can get up to 200/200 (which is the best performance) the LE can get up to 195/195 with the stock heatsink....

www.newegg.com

Anyway.. The Radeon will be having better and better drivers coming out, making it kick the GEforce's ass even harder.... what to buy? The ATI Radeon LE... 75 dollars and it kicks the 150+ dollar Geforce2 GTS DDR ASSS.....

message me if you have any questions

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
You are right, the Radeon has better and better driver support except in Linux. Looks like Voodoo and nVidia has great support there. Voodoo is virtually dead so that is not a choice I would want to take. Maybe I need to do more homework on this whole linux idea since I am pretty ignorant of linux in general. Why would I buy a Radeon LE for Linux?
Here at nVidia I have all these choices for linux drivers, plain and simple.
<A HREF="http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html" target="_new">http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 03/19/01 08:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why not go a little more at <A HREF="http://www.sg3d.com" target="_new">http://www.sg3d.com</A> and get the GF2 at about 160 bucks? They have excellent ratings at resellerratings.com and good prices. A no brainer unless you are adverse to paying tax if you are in CA. Good luck, Take-Out. Ain't it foggy outside?

The early bird gets the worm. The early worm gets the bird.

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I'm running Caldera Linux on a PII450 with Elsa Erazor Pro (TNT2 Pro) vid card, Caldera linux came with support 'out of the box'. It's one of the easiest Linux installs too.

If you're gonna play with multiple os, I've found Partition Magic an absolute must. My system was multiboot win 98/ win NT and Linux using Boot magic and partition magic. (Note you can run partition magic from a floppy - can be useful setting up the HD before installing Linux.) I'd also grab the latest vid drivers before you start.

Look at the size of that thing!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Just received Partition Magic update 6.0 through the mail, one utility I found extremely useful. Really want to separate linux on its own machine and network to my W2k/WinMe machine. I may also install BEOS as well at a future date. Recommend Caldera Linux, I was thinking about Mandrake 7.2, maybe I will use BootMagic 6.0 and run multiple Linuxes until I figure out which one I like the best. Since the downloads are all free for each operating system as well as support this is just to good to pass up. Since I have a cable modem large files really don't take long to donw load. 700mb should take no longer than a hour, at most two. So Linux is really starting to look good to me. Thanks for the recommendations, I will be buying a book and be checking on line for Linux info. since I am rather ignorant. I am use to multiple operating systems, at one point I had OS/2 which had Windows3.1 and dos plus I had an Amiga machine all hooked up via a serial cable network. So I was fooling around with 4 operating systems. I loved the AmigaOS the best, next to OS/2's at that time. Hated the win3.1 and dos---so limited. The Linksys ethernet card supports linux which I will be using to tie/network my two plateforms together. Any other suggestions, especially linux capable sound cards I would appreciate very much. Thank you.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I boot between WinME/Win2k/Mandrake. Mandrake 7.2 comes with a boot utility called Grub which works fine for that combonation of OS. Depending on which chipset you use you may come into some comatibility problems with sound and your network card. The newer VIA chipsets seem to wreck havok in any flavor of Linux I've installed. Just about any SB card will work fine under linux. If you have any problems with Linux installations post in the Linux OS board I'll watch out for ya.

Good luck!

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
both cards perform almost equally. the radeon is a little cheaper but you will get better driver support from the nvidia card. i'd go for the geforce. it's what i have (from leadtek) and i'm very happy with it. but i think it all comes down to price versus support. radeon's drivers have been known to be less than optimal.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toonces on 03/23/01 08:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I personally like the Elsa brand of the GeForce 2...the Gladiac. From most of the reviews and benchmarks I have seen most of the card makers based their board designs heavliy on the Nvidia reference board...But Elsa made a lot of tweaks and improvements to their board...including a overclocking feature in the video setup of the card. In my opinon Elsa is the best board maker of the GeForce series thus far...and I think this will continue to occur with the GeForce 3...Dubed Gladiac 920.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Yes, but limited to 2d only. Maybe a good start, Buy LE, load BEOS which is supported by the Radeon and start expermenting with Linux while the drivers develope. Might do it.