XP Media Center: desktop size != screen resolution

July 19, 2005 1:01:08 AM

I'm working with an XP "Media Center Edition" PC that has an Acer 17"
model AL1715 LCD monitor attached with a native resolution of 1280x1024.
The system has an SIS 760GX video chipset with shared memory.

The problem I'm running into is that when I set 1280x1024 resolution,
Windows winds up getting a scrollable virtual desktop that does not fit on
the screen. (That is, the actual resolution stays at 1024x768, and
the desktop extends beyond the edges, scrolling when you move the
mouse there.) I've tried using both the Windows "Settings" tab in
"Display Properties" and the SIS Utility to set the resolution,
with the same result.

The correct .INF file from Acer is being used for the monitor. I've also
tried setting the shared video memory to the maximum (128MB), but that
did not help either. Is there a place where I need to set the desktop
size to match the resolution? Or is this some kind of driver problem?

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10 for email.)

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the Monitor device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.

--
Mark L. Ferguson

!