Painfully slow boot-up and operation

Hi there

I recently returned my notebook to the manufacturer due to a failed DVD-drive.

They replaced the DVD-drive and the main board, but now the computer is very
slow. It takes over 5 minutes to boot-up and the most basic operations take
an age.

Is there a solution that doesn't involve a full system recovery, as their
helpdesk is recommending?

rgds

Mark
2 answers Last reply
More about painfully slow boot operation

    Try R.clicking my computer,properties,advanced,start-up/recovery,settings,in
    the default OS window,it should read:microsoft windows XP home (or pro)
    fast detect If anything else is worded,usually after fast detect,edit and
    delete.
    You can/could also go to like google.com,search,download and install
    microsofts
    Boot_Vis Tool,although microsoft eliminated the tool from availability a
    year or
    two ago,it will reorganize start up to quicken the time...

    > Hi there
    >
    > I recently returned my notebook to the manufacturer due to a failed DVD-drive.
    >
    > They replaced the DVD-drive and the main board, but now the computer is very
    > slow. It takes over 5 minutes to boot-up and the most basic operations take
    > an age.
    >
    > Is there a solution that doesn't involve a full system recovery, as their
    > helpdesk is recommending?
    >
    > rgds
    >
    > Mark

    Hi Andrew

    thank you for the advice - my default OS is "Windows XP Media Center
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect - so this looks to be okay - I'll try
    your second suggestion and see if that works.

    ta

    Mark

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Try R.clicking my computer,properties,advanced,start-up/recovery,settings,in
    > the default OS window,it should read:microsoft windows XP home (or pro)
    > fast detect If anything else is worded,usually after fast detect,edit and
    > delete.
    > You can/could also go to like google.com,search,download and install
    > microsofts
    > Boot_Vis Tool,although microsoft eliminated the tool from availability a
    > year or
    > two ago,it will reorganize start up to quicken the time...

    > > Hi there
    > >
    > > I recently returned my notebook to the manufacturer due to a failed DVD-drive.
    > >
    > > They replaced the DVD-drive and the main board, but now the computer is very
    > > slow. It takes over 5 minutes to boot-up and the most basic operations take
    > > an age.
    > >
    > > Is there a solution that doesn't involve a full system recovery, as their
    > > helpdesk is recommending?
    > >
    > > rgds
    > >
    > > Mark

Slow Startup DVD Drives Windows XP