Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me. I have tried looking for a solution on
the web for this and I can’t seem to find anything that quite
matches my problem.

I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 which is a few years old. I have not
recently installed anything new onto it or added new hardware or
anything, but the other day i switched it on and it appeard to be
starting up fine. The Dell screen comes up, the Windows startup splash
screen appears then the screen goes blank. The laptop continues to
load properly (i think) as you can hear the start up music and
everything loading up, but the screen is blank, (tho the colour of it
down change to a slight lighter shade of black!).

I have tried outputting to a different monitor - which does exactly
the same as the laptop screen - displaying the start-up stuff then
blank screen before the login bit.

When i start up the laptop in safe mode and VGA mode it works fine. I
have tried changin the resolution in these modes to a lower one
600x800 (the refesh rate is set to 60) but this does not solve the
problem. I have installed all recommended XP updates, scanned for
viruses and spyware but there’s nothing there, tried to use the
troubleshooting tools in Help and Support but not really sure what im
doing and it says everything is fine!

Can anyone pelase help, I am at a loss what to do. Could it be some
sort of hardware failure with my graphics card maybe?! Dont know much
about that sort of thing.

Thanks very much :)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Blank-screen-login-ftopict395831.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1304537

If computer starts OK in safe mode the indications are a defective driver -
in your case most likely the video driver. You may have received driver CD
with the laptop or a restore partition may be on he HD - another possibility
is to download driver from Dell.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL

"" wrote:
> If computer starts OK in safe mode the indications are a
> defective driver -
> in your case most likely the video driver. You may have
> received driver CD
> with the laptop or a restore partition may be on he HD -
> another possibility
> is to download driver from Dell.

> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky
> N. Ft.
> Myers, FL

Thanks for the advice. I’ll give that a try tonight and let you know
how it goes

Cheers

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Blank-screen-login-ftopict395831.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1312492

I have similar problem. The problem is on my Asus laptop M1A. My windows XP
was upgraded from Windows ME. The blank login screen problem occurred when I
first booted my windows XP. At that time I thought that was my display
driver's problem, so I boot in safe mode and install the most updated i815
display driver and then I got a usable windows xp for any supported display
resolution for a while. However, I recently converted my FAT32 file system to
NTFS (I had not done so during upgrade). After that, the windows xp boot up
like what you described, it pass the splash screen and the screen becomes
blank when it should be showing the welcome/login screen. But I found that it
can hibernate/sleep by pressing the power button and everything returns
normal when it powers up again. I have tried to reinstall the display driver,
check for virus, perform a "repair installation" (it seems working before
windows update), etc. with no sign of solving the problem. Before today, I
have to boot the machine twice --- boot to blank screen first and then press
the power button to hibernate and then on again --- in order to use my
laptop. However, I found another workaround today --- choose shutdown the
machine from the start menu directly, not logoff first and then choose
shutdown, which I used this method previously, for shutting down the machine.
Then the machine can boot up normally next time! I don't know why it works,
but it suggests the problem it is not a display driver problem, it's a
Microsoft's fault.

I hope somebody from Microsoft can figure out why the two methods of
shutting down the machine are so different (which can determine whether my
blank login screen problem appears or disappears) and release a patch to put
it in windows update, so that all the users suffering this can solve the
problem. Thank you.

Regards,
Peter Lee

"nicki_bee" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me. I have tried looking for a solution on
> the web for this and I can’t seem to find anything that quite
> matches my problem.
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 which is a few years old. I have not
> recently installed anything new onto it or added new hardware or
> anything, but the other day i switched it on and it appeard to be
> starting up fine. The Dell screen comes up, the Windows startup splash
> screen appears then the screen goes blank. The laptop continues to
> load properly (i think) as you can hear the start up music and
> everything loading up, but the screen is blank, (tho the colour of it
> down change to a slight lighter shade of black!).
>
> I have tried outputting to a different monitor - which does exactly
> the same as the laptop screen - displaying the start-up stuff then
> blank screen before the login bit.
>
> When i start up the laptop in safe mode and VGA mode it works fine. I
> have tried changin the resolution in these modes to a lower one
> 600x800 (the refesh rate is set to 60) but this does not solve the
> problem. I have installed all recommended XP updates, scanned for
> viruses and spyware but there’s nothing there, tried to use the
> troubleshooting tools in Help and Support but not really sure what im
> doing and it says everything is fine!
>
> Can anyone pelase help, I am at a loss what to do. Could it be some
> sort of hardware failure with my graphics card maybe?! Dont know much
> about that sort of thing.
>
> Thanks very much :)

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Blank-screen-login-ftopict395831.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1304537

I think I should add the following information:

1. My laptop runs windows xp home edition sp2 (Chinese version). It has only
192 MB ram.
2. If I use the hibernation workaround, the login/welcome screen does not
display normally for the whole screen on the second boot. However, I am able
to recognize it, fill in the password and pass it. Everything becomes
perfectly normal after passing that screen. If I use the shutdown method from
the start menu directly, everything is normal for the next boot-up, including
displaying the correct things in the login/welcome screen.

I hope the above information helps to diagnose the problem. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Peter Lee

"Peter Lee" wrote:

> [...]
> > blank screen before the login bit.
> >
> > When i start up the laptop in safe mode and VGA mode it works fine. I
> > have tried changin the resolution in these modes to a lower one
> > 600x800 (the refesh rate is set to 60) but this does not solve the
> > problem. I have installed all recommended XP updates, scanned for
> > viruses and spyware but there’s nothing there, tried to use the
> > troubleshooting tools in Help and Support but not really sure what im
> > doing and it says everything is fine!
> >
> > Can anyone pelase help, I am at a loss what to do. Could it be some
> > sort of hardware failure with my graphics card maybe?! Dont know much
> > about that sort of thing.
> >
> > Thanks very much :)
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards

I started having the same problem this morning with almost the identical
hardware and configuration: a Dell Inspiron 2500 running Windows XP Home
Edition SP 2, no recent major upgrades or software changes, antivirus and
antispyware software (Norton and Microsoft, respectively) installed and
running. The machine started and restarted normally several times yesterday
without incident.

The machine can be started in VGA mode. Once in VGA mode, the control panel
can be used to reset the display settings to 1024 x 768 and all is fine. But
when the machine is restarted it starts again with a blank screen. I have
downloaded and installed the latest available Intel 82815 video drivers
without success.

I certainly hope someone can suggest a solution to the problem (patch,
driver, configuration setting change, etc.), but based on the messages in
this thread I'm beginning to suspect some sort of subtle hardware failure.
--
Richard

"nicki_bee" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me. I have tried looking for a solution on
> the web for this and I can’t seem to find anything that quite
> matches my problem.
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 which is a few years old. I have not
> recently installed anything new onto it or added new hardware or
> anything, but the other day i switched it on and it appeard to be
> starting up fine. The Dell screen comes up, the Windows startup splash
> screen appears then the screen goes blank. The laptop continues to
> load properly (i think) as you can hear the start up music and
> everything loading up, but the screen is blank, (tho the colour of it
> down change to a slight lighter shade of black!).
>
> I have tried outputting to a different monitor - which does exactly
> the same as the laptop screen - displaying the start-up stuff then
> blank screen before the login bit.
>
> When i start up the laptop in safe mode and VGA mode it works fine. I
> have tried changin the resolution in these modes to a lower one
> 600x800 (the refesh rate is set to 60) but this does not solve the
> problem. I have installed all recommended XP updates, scanned for
> viruses and spyware but there’s nothing there, tried to use the
> troubleshooting tools in Help and Support but not really sure what im
> doing and it says everything is fine!
>
> Can anyone pelase help, I am at a loss what to do. Could it be some
> sort of hardware failure with my graphics card maybe?! Dont know much
> about that sort of thing.
>
> Thanks very much :)

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Blank-screen-login-ftopict395831.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1304537

I FIXED this on my notebook! Hope this helps the dozens of Dell Inspiron
owners having the same problem.

The solution is un-sticking the mechanism which puts the notebook in suspend
when the notebook is closed. It's an easy fix, if I can explain it
effectively.

Open the notebook and use a screwdriver to take off the decorative plate
above the keyboard. There's a slot on the left side. Gently peel it from
left to right, as the right side will remain affixed by some cable.

Above the F5 and F6, all the way up near the crease between the monitor
(lid) and the keyboard (base), you will see a miniscule "stick" sticking up.
Like a tiny stickshift. Press on it several times to loosen it up. It
should bob up and down like a jack-in-the-box.

Now replace the cover and restart your computer.

The tech also had me uninstall the video driver, and reinstall it with the
original Dell CD, but that didn't work. The procedure above did, which makes
me believe the Inspiron's control is of faulty design.

Good luck!

"nicki_bee" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me. I have tried looking for a solution on
> the web for this and I can’t seem to find anything that quite
> matches my problem.
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 which is a few years old. I have not
> recently installed anything new onto it or added new hardware or
> anything, but the other day i switched it on and it appeard to be
> starting up fine. The Dell screen comes up, the Windows startup splash
> screen appears then the screen goes blank. The laptop continues to
> load properly (i think) as you can hear the start up music and
> everything loading up, but the screen is blank, (tho the colour of it
> down change to a slight lighter shade of black!).
>
> I have tried outputting to a different monitor - which does exactly
> the same as the laptop screen - displaying the start-up stuff then
> blank screen before the login bit.
>
> When i start up the laptop in safe mode and VGA mode it works fine. I
> have tried changin the resolution in these modes to a lower one
> 600x800 (the refesh rate is set to 60) but this does not solve the
> problem. I have installed all recommended XP updates, scanned for
> viruses and spyware but there’s nothing there, tried to use the
> troubleshooting tools in Help and Support but not really sure what im
> doing and it says everything is fine!
>
> Can anyone pelase help, I am at a loss what to do. Could it be some
> sort of hardware failure with my graphics card maybe?! Dont know much
> about that sort of thing.
>
> Thanks very much :)

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Blank-screen-login-ftopict395831.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1304537

Lluvia,

Unfortunately your solution brought no joy to this owner of an Inspiron
2500. I pried off the plate as instructed only to find -- no stick switch on
that model or anything else that looked like a promising candidate. I hope,
though, that your solution may help owners of other models.

The most annoying thing about the situation is that the computer still
functions, so I find it hard to justify scrapping the thing and buying a new
one. It just is necessary to go through the extra steps of starting up in VGA
mode and then adjusting the resolution in the control panel. Without knowing
whether this is a hardware problem or a software problem, I'm not inclined to
go to the trouble of reinstalling the operating system.

To all of you reading this though, keep the suggestions coming.
--
Richard

"Lluvia" wrote:

> [...]
> > blank screen before the login bit.
> >
> > When i start up the laptop in safe mode and VGA mode it works fine. I
> > have tried changin the resolution in these modes to a lower one
> > 600x800 (the refesh rate is set to 60) but this does not solve the
> > problem. I have installed all recommended XP updates, scanned for
> > viruses and spyware but there’s nothing there, tried to use the
> > troubleshooting tools in Help and Support but not really sure what im
> > doing and it says everything is fine!
> >
> > Can anyone pelase help, I am at a loss what to do. Could it be some
> > sort of hardware failure with my graphics card maybe?! Dont know much
> > about that sort of thing.
> >
> > Thanks very much :)
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards

I'll take another look just to be sure, but I thought I looked thoroughly the
first time. The thing that makes me think that my laptop may be of a
different design, however, is that the plate above the keyboard comes off
cleanly. There is no attached wiring as you reported in your case.

Thanks, again.
--
Richard