scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Ok, not exactly recently my computer has been being very weird.
And it has only gotten worse since i have used it more and more.
Heres the first and one of the most critical problems i have.
When i got into the control panel and into user accounts, the user
control panel thing pops up but stays white. I definitly need help
with this.
Second thing is when i try to access windows media player i get the
error: an internal application error has occured, i have tried
reccomendations from windows for that but it just doesnt work.
Also when i click on the search button under "Start" it does the same
thing as the user control panel does.
When i try to get on internet explorer, it bugs up and will only show
certain things.
This is all of the errors i can remember right now and i think its all
of them but if i think of more i will tell you guys. Please help me
with these things.
I am thinking about wiping the whole computer clean and starting over
but if i do this im going to need to know how to save certain files.
O yeah, also my task manager when i open it, it has no like file,
edit, view buttons and it is displaying the applications for precise
than usual and says when i close them they are losing info.

-Scorch
Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Multiple-problems-ftopict396834.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1308587

Can we assume you have taken care of the obvious first step and scanned for
viruses and spyware?

"Scorch" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Ok, not exactly recently my computer has been being very weird.
> And it has only gotten worse since i have used it more and more.
> Heres the first and one of the most critical problems i have.
> When i got into the control panel and into user accounts, the user
> control panel thing pops up but stays white. I definitly need help
> with this.
> Second thing is when i try to access windows media player i get the
> error: an internal application error has occured, i have tried
> reccomendations from windows for that but it just doesnt work.
> Also when i click on the search button under "Start" it does the same
> thing as the user control panel does.
> When i try to get on internet explorer, it bugs up and will only show
> certain things.
> This is all of the errors i can remember right now and i think its all
> of them but if i think of more i will tell you guys. Please help me
> with these things.
> I am thinking about wiping the whole computer clean and starting over
> but if i do this im going to need to know how to save certain files.
> O yeah, also my task manager when i open it, it has no like file,
> edit, view buttons and it is displaying the applications for precise
> than usual and says when i close them they are losing info.
>

> -Scorch
> Thanks for the help ahead of time.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Multiple-problems-ftopict396834.html

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Well im kind of not the best with computer but i had scanned for
viruses and i am now scannig for spyware. Could spyware really do all
this?

"Scorch" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

> Well I'm kind of not the best with computer but I had scanned for
> viruses and I am now scanning for spyware. Could spyware really do all
> this?

Normally I would answer NO that spyware may be an unlikely cause of your
assorted problems. But given all of your problems spyware/adware could be
possible.

I would consider running your virus software in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few
times while booting) - preferably with System Restore tuned off.

You may consider one, or more, of the following online scans for viruses in
addition to Ad-Aware and Spybot.

Other options (in Normal Boot Mode)
Run an online scan at
and/or

Download/Run Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en

Run Ad-Aware SE Personal (first) and SpyBot-Search & Destroy (second).
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
After you install each, you should click update before running. For example,
with Ad-Aware click on the link "Check for updates now" on the first screen
that appears after you launch the application.

I have also heard good reports about the Damage Cleanup Engine from Trend
Micro at

Also. download/install/execute MS AntiSpyware at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

Please keep us posted. We can solve this it just may take a bit of trial &
error (or no error) and patience.

Michael

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

"" wrote:
> "Scorch" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Well I'm kind of not the best with computer but I had
> scanned for
> > viruses and I am now scanning for spyware. Could spyware
> really do all
> > this?
> >

> Normally I would answer NO that spyware may be an unlikely
> cause of your
> assorted problems. But given all of your problems
> spyware/adware could be
> possible.
>
> I would consider running your virus software in Safe Mode
> (pressing F8 a few
> times while booting) - preferably with System Restore tuned
> off.
>
> You may consider one, or more, of the following online scans
> for viruses in
> addition to Ad-Aware and Spybot.
>
> Other options (in Normal Boot Mode)
> Run an online scan at
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
> and/or
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
>
> Download/Run Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en
>
> Run Ad-Aware SE Personal (first) and SpyBot-Search & Destroy
> (second).
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
> After you install each, you should click update before
> running. For example,
> with Ad-Aware click on the link "Check for updates now" on the
> first screen
> that appears after you launch the application.
>
> I have also heard good reports about the Damage Cleanup Engine
> from Trend
> Micro at
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
>
> Also. download/install/execute MS AntiSpyware at
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>
> Please keep us posted. We can solve this it just may take a
> bit of trial &
> error (or no error) and patience.
>
> Michael

Im running many of these scans and i hope they help, if they dont, i
would like to know how to erase my harddrive down the the stuff the
computer originally came with. My harddrive is only 60gb and is making
the computer kind of slow, so is there a way i can remove almost
everything except certain files and such?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Multiple-problems-ftopict396834.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1314131

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

"" wrote:
> "Scorch" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Well I'm kind of not the best with computer but I had
> scanned for
> > viruses and I am now scanning for spyware. Could spyware
> really do all
> > this?
> >

> Normally I would answer NO that spyware may be an unlikely
> cause of your
> assorted problems. But given all of your problems
> spyware/adware could be
> possible.
>
> I would consider running your virus software in Safe Mode
> (pressing F8 a few
> times while booting) - preferably with System Restore tuned
> off.
>
> You may consider one, or more, of the following online scans
> for viruses in
> addition to Ad-Aware and Spybot.
>
> Other options (in Normal Boot Mode)
> Run an online scan at
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
> and/or
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
>
> Download/Run Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en
>
> Run Ad-Aware SE Personal (first) and SpyBot-Search & Destroy
> (second).
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
> After you install each, you should click update before
> running. For example,
> with Ad-Aware click on the link "Check for updates now" on the
> first screen
> that appears after you launch the application.
>
> I have also heard good reports about the Damage Cleanup Engine
> from Trend
> Micro at
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
>
> Also. download/install/execute MS AntiSpyware at
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>
> Please keep us posted. We can solve this it just may take a
> bit of trial &
> error (or no error) and patience.
>
> Michael

The spyware removal drastically sped up my computer but has not fixed
any of these problems :(

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Multiple-problems-ftopict396834.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1314133

> "" wrote:
>
> The spyware removal drastically sped up my computer but has not fixed
> any of these problems :(

Then it is probably time to consider a Repair Installation.
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

"" wrote:
> "Scorch" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "" wrote:
> >
> > The spyware removal drastically sped up my computer but has
> not fixed
> > any of these problems :(
> >

> Then it is probably time to consider a Repair Installation.
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

I have one problem, i cant find my windows XP disk or my recovery
disk.... :cry:

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Multiple-problems-ftopict396834.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1315252