New Dell 8400 problem with norton Live Update

I have my second Dimension 8400 in 2 months. The original never ran
well, since DEP kept crashing programs like Windows Explorer, Internet
Explorer, etc right out of the box. I disabled DEP and then started
intermittently getting Blue Screens of Death and system lockups. Many
system restores and it will sometimes run for days and then start
acting up again. Finally after countless hours spent on hold and
trying to understand what tech support was telling me due to
communication issues with Dells Tech support, they finally agreed to
gave me a replacement 8400. This replacement arrived 3 days ago, and
after unboxing and connecting to a monitor , immediately started
crashing when trying to Scan drive C, and refusing to do a Live Update
of Norton Anti Spyware 2005 ( which is Anti virus, Firewall and
everything rolled into one) . I started searching around the Internet
and I am reading countless other complaints about similar issues.

I contacted Dell again, and after 3 hours on hold, Dell at first
telling me that this time I will have to pay for any additional help
with my several hours old PC, they finally agreed to send me yet
another 8400 ( this will be the 3rd one) . My question is, will I
probably have a similar problem with the 3rd one, and would I be
better just to return everything to Dell and have a PC built for me by
a local company? The main use for this PC is Microsoft Flight
Simulator ( I am a Pilot) and that is the only reason I bought what I
thought would be a better machine than the Dimension 2400 I had, which
is and has been trouble free.

Bob

Win XP SP2 supposedly knows if another firewall is installed (in your case,
Norton) and shuts down windows firewall. HOwever, this should not be trusted
and you should check that Windows firewall is indeed turned off. Hope this
helps.

A & L

Support your local PJ
"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have my second Dimension 8400 in 2 months. The original never ran
> well, since DEP kept crashing programs like Windows Explorer, Internet
> Explorer, etc right out of the box. I disabled DEP and then started
> intermittently getting Blue Screens of Death and system lockups. Many
> system restores and it will sometimes run for days and then start
> acting up again. Finally after countless hours spent on hold and
> trying to understand what tech support was telling me due to
> communication issues with Dells Tech support, they finally agreed to
> gave me a replacement 8400. This replacement arrived 3 days ago, and
> after unboxing and connecting to a monitor , immediately started
> crashing when trying to Scan drive C, and refusing to do a Live Update
> of Norton Anti Spyware 2005 ( which is Anti virus, Firewall and
> everything rolled into one) . I started searching around the Internet
> and I am reading countless other complaints about similar issues.
>
> I contacted Dell again, and after 3 hours on hold, Dell at first
> telling me that this time I will have to pay for any additional help
> with my several hours old PC, they finally agreed to send me yet
> another 8400 ( this will be the 3rd one) . My question is, will I
> probably have a similar problem with the 3rd one, and would I be
> better just to return everything to Dell and have a PC built for me by
> a local company? The main use for this PC is Microsoft Flight
> Simulator ( I am a Pilot) and that is the only reason I bought what I
> thought would be a better machine than the Dimension 2400 I had, which
> is and has been trouble free.
>
> Bob

What software had you installed prior to the start of the problem on the
replacement CPU?

On Sun, 08 May 2005 20:43:17 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What software had you installed prior to the start of the problem on the
>replacement CPU?
>
>"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>I have my second Dimension 8400 in 2 months. The original never ran
>> well, since DEP kept crashing programs like Windows Explorer, Internet
>> Explorer, etc right out of the box. I disabled DEP and then started
>> intermittently getting Blue Screens of Death and system lockups. Many
>> system restores and it will sometimes run for days and then start
>> acting up again. Finally after countless hours spent on hold and
>> trying to understand what tech support was telling me due to
>> communication issues with Dells Tech support, they finally agreed to
>> gave me a replacement 8400. This replacement arrived 3 days ago, and
>> after unboxing and connecting to a monitor , immediately started
>> crashing when trying to Scan drive C, and refusing to do a Live Update
>> of Norton Anti Spyware 2005 ( which is Anti virus, Firewall and
>> everything rolled into one) . I started searching around the Internet
>> and I am reading countless other complaints about similar issues.
>>
>> I contacted Dell again, and after 3 hours on hold, Dell at first
>> telling me that this time I will have to pay for any additional help
>> with my several hours old PC, they finally agreed to send me yet
>> another 8400 ( this will be the 3rd one) . My question is, will I
>> probably have a similar problem with the 3rd one, and would I be
>> better just to return everything to Dell and have a PC built for me by
>> a local company? The main use for this PC is Microsoft Flight
>> Simulator ( I am a Pilot) and that is the only reason I bought what I
>> thought would be a better machine than the Dimension 2400 I had, which
>> is and has been trouble free.
>>
>> Bob

Earthlink Total Access.

Bob

Bob, if you know how to install WinXP into two partitions (one hidden) you
could have one without any applications installed at all, especially Norton.
If this one blue screens as well as the primary WinXP then you have a
hardware problem. Conversely, if it doesn't blue screen then you need to
sort out which app is the problem.

Did you or Dell install Norton Anti Spyware 2005?

Brian

"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have my second Dimension 8400 in 2 months. The original never ran
> well, since DEP kept crashing programs like Windows Explorer, Internet
> Explorer, etc right out of the box. I disabled DEP and then started
> intermittently getting Blue Screens of Death and system lockups. Many
> system restores and it will sometimes run for days and then start
> acting up again. Finally after countless hours spent on hold and
> trying to understand what tech support was telling me due to
> communication issues with Dells Tech support, they finally agreed to
> gave me a replacement 8400. This replacement arrived 3 days ago, and
> after unboxing and connecting to a monitor , immediately started
> crashing when trying to Scan drive C, and refusing to do a Live Update
> of Norton Anti Spyware 2005 ( which is Anti virus, Firewall and
> everything rolled into one) . I started searching around the Internet
> and I am reading countless other complaints about similar issues.
>
> I contacted Dell again, and after 3 hours on hold, Dell at first
> telling me that this time I will have to pay for any additional help
> with my several hours old PC, they finally agreed to send me yet
> another 8400 ( this will be the 3rd one) . My question is, will I
> probably have a similar problem with the 3rd one, and would I be
> better just to return everything to Dell and have a PC built for me by
> a local company? The main use for this PC is Microsoft Flight
> Simulator ( I am a Pilot) and that is the only reason I bought what I
> thought would be a better machine than the Dimension 2400 I had, which
> is and has been trouble free.
>
> Bob

Did the CPU run ok out-of-the-box-before installing Earthlink?

> On Sun, 08 May 2005 20:43:17 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What software had you installed prior to the start of the problem on the
>>replacement CPU?
>>

> Earthlink Total Access.
>
> Bob

Dell installed Norton, and frankly with an out of box machine, and
after all I have been through with the first 8400, I really have no
desire to start trying to fix a problem that seems to stump the people
at Dell tech support. To me , it's like buying a brand new car,
finding out there is something not right with the transmission, and
tearing the transmission all apart in my driveway trying to fix it.

Bob

On Sun, 08 May 2005 23:01:56 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Did the CPU run ok out-of-the-box-before installing Earthlink?
>
>"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 08 May 2005 20:43:17 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What software had you installed prior to the start of the problem on the
>>>replacement CPU?
>>>

>> Earthlink Total Access.
>>
>> Bob

I have no idea, because as soon as I fired it up , it said...

"Connect to the Internet...to register"

When I did that, it said it need to get Norton going because of the
Firewall and Virus Issues. That is when the trouble started. Elapsed
time, no more than 15 -20 minutes from plug in to crash.

Bob

Sorry you have had so much trouble Bob. My 8400 runs "perfectly" but that
doesn't help you. As you have had two computers with similar problems it
does suggest, but not a certainty, that it is due to an application or
setting you have installed.

Firstly, have you disabled one firewall?

Brian

> Dell installed Norton, and frankly with an out of box machine, and
> after all I have been through with the first 8400, I really have no
> desire to start trying to fix a problem that seems to stump the people
> at Dell tech support. To me , it's like buying a brand new car,
> finding out there is something not right with the transmission, and
> tearing the transmission all apart in my driveway trying to fix it.
>
> Bob

Both PC's started to malfunction "out of the box.". Seems that
powering them up is all it takes to start the operating problems.

Bob

On Mon, 09 May 2005 00:47:18 GMT, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4
REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry you have had so much trouble Bob. My 8400 runs "perfectly" but that
>doesn't help you. As you have had two computers with similar problems it
>does suggest, but not a certainty, that it is due to an application or
>setting you have installed.
>
>Firstly, have you disabled one firewall?
>
>Brian
>

>"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Dell installed Norton, and frankly with an out of box machine, and
>> after all I have been through with the first 8400, I really have no
>> desire to start trying to fix a problem that seems to stump the people
>> at Dell tech support. To me , it's like buying a brand new car,
>> finding out there is something not right with the transmission, and
>> tearing the transmission all apart in my driveway trying to fix it.
>>
>> Bob

arnie

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004

run memtest on the memory?
run a test on the harddrive with the manufacturer's diagnostic utility?
have you tried opening the system and reseating memory, cards, etc?

"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I have my second Dimension 8400 in 2 months. The original never ran
> well, since DEP kept crashing programs like Windows Explorer, Internet
> Explorer, etc right out of the box. I disabled DEP and then started
> intermittently getting Blue Screens of Death and system lockups. Many
> system restores and it will sometimes run for days and then start
> acting up again. Finally after countless hours spent on hold and
> trying to understand what tech support was telling me due to
> communication issues with Dells Tech support, they finally agreed to
> gave me a replacement 8400. This replacement arrived 3 days ago, and
> after unboxing and connecting to a monitor , immediately started
> crashing when trying to Scan drive C, and refusing to do a Live Update
> of Norton Anti Spyware 2005 ( which is Anti virus, Firewall and
> everything rolled into one) . I started searching around the Internet
> and I am reading countless other complaints about similar issues.
>
> I contacted Dell again, and after 3 hours on hold, Dell at first
> telling me that this time I will have to pay for any additional help
> with my several hours old PC, they finally agreed to send me yet
> another 8400 ( this will be the 3rd one) . My question is, will I
> probably have a similar problem with the 3rd one, and would I be
> better just to return everything to Dell and have a PC built for me by
> a local company? The main use for this PC is Microsoft Flight
> Simulator ( I am a Pilot) and that is the only reason I bought what I
> thought would be a better machine than the Dimension 2400 I had, which
> is and has been trouble free.
>
> Bob

Most of the my friends' Dell computers are running two firewalls out of the
box.

Brian

"A & L" <tpsdoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Win XP SP2 supposedly knows if another firewall is installed (in your
> case, Norton) and shuts down windows firewall. > A & L

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but this out of the box problem,
and the lack of any kind of intelligent tech support from India, has
convinced me to place the PC back in the same box I took it out of and
it is being shipped back to Dell this morning. I am tired of spending
hours and hours on hold, only to talk to someone on that phone that I
can barely understand and hearing the same old " Oh, you must
re-install operating system" Mantra that they spout out whenever you
give them a problem that is not on their cue cards. They did the same
thing with the original 8400 I purchased. I totaled up the hours I
spent on hold since my original 8400 darkened my doorway, and I am up
to around 33 hours at this point.

Bob

On Mon, 9 May 2005 01:22:58 -0400, "arnie" <arnie@hubbabubba.com>
wrote:

>run memtest on the memory?
>run a test on the harddrive with the manufacturer's diagnostic utility?
>have you tried opening the system and reseating memory, cards, etc?
>

>"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> I have my second Dimension 8400 in 2 months. The original never ran
>> well, since DEP kept crashing programs like Windows Explorer, Internet
>> Explorer, etc right out of the box. I disabled DEP and then started
>> intermittently getting Blue Screens of Death and system lockups. Many
>> system restores and it will sometimes run for days and then start
>> acting up again. Finally after countless hours spent on hold and
>> trying to understand what tech support was telling me due to
>> communication issues with Dells Tech support, they finally agreed to
>> gave me a replacement 8400. This replacement arrived 3 days ago, and
>> after unboxing and connecting to a monitor , immediately started
>> crashing when trying to Scan drive C, and refusing to do a Live Update
>> of Norton Anti Spyware 2005 ( which is Anti virus, Firewall and
>> everything rolled into one) . I started searching around the Internet
>> and I am reading countless other complaints about similar issues.
>>
>> I contacted Dell again, and after 3 hours on hold, Dell at first
>> telling me that this time I will have to pay for any additional help
>> with my several hours old PC, they finally agreed to send me yet
>> another 8400 ( this will be the 3rd one) . My question is, will I
>> probably have a similar problem with the 3rd one, and would I be
>> better just to return everything to Dell and have a PC built for me by
>> a local company? The main use for this PC is Microsoft Flight
>> Simulator ( I am a Pilot) and that is the only reason I bought what I
>> thought would be a better machine than the Dimension 2400 I had, which
>> is and has been trouble free.
>>
>> Bob

That's completely stupid and irresponsible. Your friends have no idea as to
what their doing; don't listen to them.

How do they figure that one firewall will have access to the other's state
table? Which firewall's proxy gets the incoming packet and acts on it?
(Both are vectoring for the same address).

Almost always, two firewalls will crash the system. Not only does this NOT
offer better security, it will only lead to problems (a.k.a. bluescreens).

> Most of the my friends' Dell computers are running two firewalls out of
the
> box.

No, I meant they had two firewalls running on delivery from Dell. Norton and
Windows. We turned off the Norton firewall.

Brian

"SGD" <nobody@verizon.net> wrote in message
> That's completely stupid and irresponsible. Your friends have no idea as
> what their doing; don't listen to them.
>
> How do they figure that one firewall will have access to the other's state
> table? Which firewall's proxy gets the incoming packet and acts on it?
> (Both are vectoring for the same address).
>
> Almost always, two firewalls will crash the system. Not only does this NOT
> offer better security, it will only lead to problems (a.k.a. bluescreens).
>
>> Most of the my friends' Dell computers are running two firewalls out of
> the
>> box.

Oh.
(sheepishly turning away, mumbling something unintelligible out of "A
mid-summer Nights Dream"....)
~D

> No, I meant they had two firewalls running on delivery from Dell. Norton
and
> Windows. We turned off the Norton firewall.

> >> Most of the my friends' Dell computers are running two firewalls out of
> > the box.

My initial post was ambiguous. Thanks for letting me clarify the situation.