taskbar problems

my taskbar has been dissappearing off of my desktop while I'm working on the
computer. does anyone know what is happening??

"gpo79" <gpo79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my taskbar has been dissappearing off of my desktop while I'm working on
> the
> computer. does anyone know what is happening??

Try this...

Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
Check these two:
Lock the taskbar
Keep the taskbar on top of other windows
UNCheck: Auto-hide the taskbar |
Click Apply | Click OK

Auto-hide the taskbar
[[Hides the taskbar. To redisplay the taskbar, point to the area of your
screen where the taskbar is located. If you want to be sure that your
taskbar will be visible whenever you point to it, select the Keep the
taskbar on top of other windows check box and also select the Auto-hide the
taskbar check box.]]

Keep the taskbar on top of other windows
[[Ensures that the taskbar is always visible, even when you run a program in
a maximized (full-screen) window.]]

Lock the taskbar
[[Locks the taskbar at its current position on the desktop so that it cannot
be moved to a new location and also locks the size and position of any
toolbar displayed on the taskbar so that it cannot be changed.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:260F4FE4-6018-4A1F-A0C7-D15D686703AE@microsoft.com,
gpo79 <gpo79@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> my taskbar has been dissappearing off of my desktop while I'm working on
> the computer. does anyone know what is happening??

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Michael...I went to the taskbar sight you mentioned, and found an item to
delete the balloon tips in the notification area (I believe tweakui will do
it also - and MS has a fix to go right into the registry and delete them).
I am always afraid to mess with the registry (especially if it "aint broke
then don't fix it"). I have XPsp2 home edition. Can you "kinda" guarantee
me if I download the little file and try to delete the balloon tips, that it
will work and not hurt anything (which I may not know about right away). I
downloaded a little tweakui program (I had a larger version on my
millennium) from a powertoys site, but I couldn't figure out how to use the
damn thing to delete the balloon tips (it didn't look like it did much of
anything). I have read that tweak can mess up your pc - do you know
anything about that.

I am specifically talking about the balloon tip (which aggravates me and I
have to manually delete it by clicking) that shows up with my dialer (AT&T),
but I have read you get it with DUN also. The balloon tip says you are
connected at such and such a speed, and is redundant with the blue globe and
tv monitors in the icon tray that also give you the connection speed, plus
other info, only when you point them. But the damn balloon tip comes up on
its own, is 4 inches long, and won't even time out.

If I download the executable from Kelley's Korner (it looks like Kelley is a
MS-MVP - so they can be trusted - right??), and run the executable to delete
the balloon tips in the notification area, will it only delete the balloon
tips (long rectangular and yellow with a pointer in one of the corners) in
the notification area, or will it delete them in other places also. They
show up all over (eg. when you point to one of the buttons in the "turn off
computer" window). And if something goes wrong after running the executable
will I be able to reverse it without using system restore. Please get back
to me. Thanks...Pete

"Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
> Michael...I went to the taskbar sight you mentioned, and found an item to
> delete the balloon tips in the notification area (I believe tweakui will
> do it also - and MS has a fix to go right into the registry and delete
> them). I am always afraid to mess with the registry (especially if it
> "ain't broke Can you "kinda" guarantee me if I download the little file
> and
> try to delete the balloon tips, that it will work and not hurt anything.

You should have no unexpected results, as I have used this utility often
with no hiccups.

Yes, Kelly is a MS-MVP - one of the best IMO.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Michael...Thanks a lot. I tried it and I now I don't get the dreaded
balloon tip when my home page is coming up (lol). Am I correct in assuming
it is only deleting balloon tips in way of the notification area. And also
do you generally trust free downloads, or how do you investigate them before
hand (ie web search or what). If you don't mind get back to me. Thanks
again...Pete.

> "Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
>> Michael...I went to the taskbar sight you mentioned, and found an item to
>> delete the balloon tips in the notification area (I believe tweakui will
>> do it also - and MS has a fix to go right into the registry and delete
>> them). I am always afraid to mess with the registry (especially if it
>> "ain't broke Can you "kinda" guarantee me if I download the little file
>> and
>> try to delete the balloon tips, that it will work and not hurt anything.
>
> You should have no unexpected results, as I have used this utility often
> with no hiccups.
>
> Yes, Kelly is a MS-MVP - one of the best IMO.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Michael...cancel part of my last message. Changing the registry did wipe
out the other balloon tips also. I will probably leave them deleted, but
how would I get them back without doing a system restore...Pete

> Michael...Thanks a lot. I tried it and I now I don't get the dreaded
> balloon tip when my home page is coming up (lol). Am I correct in
> assuming it is only deleting balloon tips in way of the notification area.
> And also do you generally trust free downloads, or how do you investigate
> them before hand (ie web search or what). If you don't mind get back to
> me. Thanks again...Pete.
>
> "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> "Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
>>> Michael...I went to the taskbar sight you mentioned, and found an item
>>> to delete the balloon tips in the notification area (I believe tweakui
>>> will do it also - and MS has a fix to go right into the registry and
>>> delete them). I am always afraid to mess with the registry (especially
>>> if it "ain't broke Can you "kinda" guarantee me if I download the little
>>> file and
>>> try to delete the balloon tips, that it will work and not hurt anything.
>>
>> You should have no unexpected results, as I have used this utility often
>> with no hiccups.
>>
>> Yes, Kelly is a MS-MVP - one of the best IMO.

Do you have a System Restore Point that you feel comfortable returning to?

Once you get your balloons (or Tool Tips) back, you may want to look at the
option to hide items in the notification area.

1) Rt. click taskbar and select Properties.
2) Select "Hide inactive icons" and click the Customize button.

> Michael...cancel part of my last message. Changing the registry did wipe
> out the other balloon tips also. I will probably leave them deleted, but
> how would I get them back without doing a system restore...Pete

"Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
> Michael...cancel part of my last message. Changing the registry did wipe
> out the other balloon tips also. I will probably leave them deleted, but
> how would I get them back without doing a system restore...Pete

Use the Tweak UI program you mentioned in one of your previous posts. I just
verified that it should work for you.

Once you've launched Tweak UI select "Taskbar and Start menu". Then check
"Enable balloon tips".

This should change your Registry accordingly:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

> Do you have a System Restore Point that you feel comfortable returning to?

Yes...why wouldn't I. You only have to go back a couple of days or so.

> Once you get your balloons (or Tool Tips) back, you may want to look at
> the option to hide items in the notification area.
>
> 1) Rt. click taskbar and select Properties.
> 2) Select "Hide inactive icons" and click the Customize button.

Patrick...the balloon tips have nothing to do with the little icons near the
clock in the icon tray or task bar. The balloon tip I'm talking about is a
1"x4" yellow rectangle that pops up when you get connected to your ISP and
it tells you what speed you are connected at, and it won't go away until I
click it off. There are also the AT&T little icons in the icon tray (that
give you connection speed and other info when you point to them but that has
nothing to do with balloon tips) when you connect, but that is normal, along
with my spy sweeper, speaker and norton icon. I have the rest of them
hidden, and I know all about customizing the task bar.

I thought you knew what I was talking about, but I guess not. The balloon
tips also show up when you turn off your computer and point to the "turn
off" or "restart" button. Anyway the little 155 byte download from Kelley
wiped them all out. I thought it would only do the notification area which
is the area in the lower right side of the screen in way of the icon tray (I
thought). I asked you this in my both my previous messages and you didn't
answer.

Now that they are all gone, I probably won't get my windows update notices
either (I can't remember if that is a balloon tip or just one of the regular
little yellow boxes - anyway the little security shield for the windows
update should still go in the icon tray and I could see that - plus it makes
a little pop noise). Maybe I will do a system restore. I'll have to think
about it. The balloon tips can be useful I guess (ie they describe certain
things when you point to them (I"m not talking about the little rectangles
that have been around for years that tell you what something is in a tool
bar or something of that nature). Balloon tips came out with XP (at least
that is my understanding), and I'm not sure how many things they are
associated with besides the two instances I mentioned.

You didn't tell me how to get them back without doing a system restore, so I
guess you don't know. Obviously, I would have to go into the registry and
put back something that I know nothing about, so the system restore is the
only way, unless I could get the registry command. Take care...Pete

> "Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
>> Michael...cancel part of my last message. Changing the registry did wipe
>> out the other balloon tips also. I will probably leave them deleted,
>> but how would I get them back without doing a system restore...Pete
>>

> Use the Tweak UI program you mentioned in one of your previous posts. I
> just verified that it should work for you.
>
> Once you've launched Tweak UI select "Taskbar and Start menu". Then check
> "Enable balloon tips".

Patrick...I did it and it works fine. At least I know how to change it
easily now. The reason I didn't see it before was that I clicked the +sign
in the box (to expand it) instead of highlighting the "Taskbar and Start
menu" (oh well). Thanks...Pete

> This should change your Registry accordingly:
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
> "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001

Patrick...I told you I am afraid to mess with the system registry, but I
checked it out as I am writing this and all the directory trees are like
windows explorer (fascinating). I found the enable balloon tips. Are you
saying if I went in and typed "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001 (assuming
it was disabled to start with) someplace, it would do the same thing as
tweakui.

I see there is a "modify" under "edit". So what would I have done -
highlight "disable balloon tips" (ie it was disabled to start with), and
then do edit/modify and then type "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001 in the
"value name" box. I don't think so, I'm just guessing. In the modify
window there is a "value name" box (which said "enableballoontips"- since I
enabled it with tweak), and a "value data" box (which had a "1" in it - is
that the "1" after the seven zeros). So where would I type the
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001. Do you know a good web site that will
explain how to move around in the registry and edit things (not that I
really want to you understand) - (lol).

I'll sign off, you are probably getting sick of all this. Thanks for your
help...Pete

> Are you saying if I went in and typed "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001
> (assuming it was disabled to start with) someplace,
> it would do the same thing as tweakui.

Well yes (sort of).

What you really should do is simply double click the key EnableBalloonTips
and then change the value.

By the way, the Registry does have a Help file - you will see Help on the
menu bar as with most applications.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

> "Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Are you saying if I went in and typed "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001
>> (assuming it was disabled to start with) someplace,
>> it would do the same thing as tweakui.
>>

> Well yes (sort of).
>
> What you really should do is simply double click the key EnableBalloonTips
> and then change the value.

Got ya...thats the same as highlight/edit/modify.

> By the way, the Registry does have a Help file - you will see Help on the
> menu bar as with most applications.

I will read more about the help later (I have'nt been in there in years -
no need to). I looked at the help just now and it said to type the new
value in the "value data" box, and I get the impression it is either a "0"
or a "1" for many of the entries, so I guess if it was a "1" it is enabled
and if it's a "0" it is disabled, ie it is just toggled on or off with the
"1" or "0". Thats simple enough. So may I ask what was
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001 that you mentioned (ie. where would I
type all that stuff and why, if all I have to do is put a "1" or a "0" in
the value data box - wouldn't that do the same thing).

Forgive me if I am self teaching myself here, but thats the way it looks.
Maybe a better way of asking is where did you get the
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001 from...Pete

> Maybe a better way of asking is where did you get the
> "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001 from...Pete

This is simply the way this registry setting is represented when you save
the setting (as a .REG) file from within Regedit.exe.

For example, if you navigate to "EnableBalloonTips" and click File > Export
the setting can be saved as a file that can be clicked and dragged into
Notepad where you should see the "dword:00000001".