List of default directories and files in Windows Xp Pro

Does anyone have a list of default directories and files that are in a
windows fresh install? I need to check to see if there are directories that
should not be there.

Darrell
8 answers Last reply
More about list default directories files windows

    Folders on the Local Disk
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prgg_det_ltyq.asp

    Windows Folder
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prgg_det_qgtk.asp

    System32 Folder
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prgg_det_sbnz.asp

    Guide to the Windows Folder
    http://www.pcguru.plus.com/xpguide/winfolder.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:u%23h%23Eu%23iFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Darrell <eddy@latech.edu> hunted and pecked:
    > Does anyone have a list of default directories and files that are in a
    > windows fresh install? I need to check to see if there are directories
    > that should not be there.
    >
    > Darrell

    Forgot one.

    Guide to Program Files folder
    http://www.pcguru.plus.com/xpguide/progfolder.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OTJiB1%23iFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Folders on the Local Disk

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prgg_det_ltyq.asp

    > Windows Folder

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prgg_det_qgtk.asp

    > System32 Folder

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prgg_det_sbnz.asp

    > Guide to the Windows Folder
    > http://www.pcguru.plus.com/xpguide/winfolder.html
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:u%23h%23Eu%23iFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Darrell <eddy@latech.edu> hunted and pecked:
    >> Does anyone have a list of default directories and files that are in a
    >> windows fresh install? I need to check to see if there are directories
    >> that should not be there.
    >>
    >> Darrell

    Your should have:

    (1) Documents and Settings Folder
    (1) Programs Folder
    (1) Recycler Folder
    (1) System Volume Information Folder
    (1) Windows folder

    Surely you do not need a listing of the many, many files within each folder?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Darrell" wrote:

    | Does anyone have a list of default directories and files that are in a
    | windows fresh install? I need to check to see if there are directories that
    | should not be there.
    |
    | Darrell

    I would like to have it for troubleshooting purposes. I am concerned that
    there may be directories that should not be there. I have the following
    directory that I do not recognize. It is: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\%%DATA_DIR%%.

    Darrell

    > Your should have:
    >
    > (1) Documents and Settings Folder
    > (1) Programs Folder
    > (1) Recycler Folder
    > (1) System Volume Information Folder
    > (1) Windows folder
    >
    > Surely you do not need a listing of the many, many files within each
    > folder?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Darrell" wrote:
    >
    > | Does anyone have a list of default directories and files that are in a
    > | windows fresh install? I need to check to see if there are directories
    > that
    > | should not be there.
    > |
    > | Darrell

    Darrell,

    What is in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\%%DATA_DIR%% ??

    %%DATA_DIR%% doesn't look good to me.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:u4q%23X3%23iFHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Darrell <eddy@latech.edu> hunted and pecked:
    > I would like to have it for troubleshooting purposes. I am concerned that
    > there may be directories that should not be there. I have the following
    > directory that I do not recognize. It is:
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\%%DATA_DIR%%.
    >
    > Darrell

    >> Your should have:
    >>
    >> (1) Documents and Settings Folder
    >> (1) Programs Folder
    >> (1) Recycler Folder
    >> (1) System Volume Information Folder
    >> (1) Windows folder
    >>
    >> Surely you do not need a listing of the many, many files within each
    >> folder?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    ------------------

    >> "Darrell" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone have a list of default directories and files that are in a
    >>> windows fresh install? I need to check to see if there are directories
    >>> that should not be there.
    >>>
    >>> Darrell

    Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

    Darrell

    "Darrell" <eddy@latech.edu> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have a list of default directories and files that are in a
    > windows fresh install? I need to check to see if there are directories
    > that should not be there.
    >
    > Darrell

    apart from the number of files being large they will be different for
    different systems depending on the various equipment- video card, sound
    card, chipset etc etc. Then different countries have some different files.
    Then installations have use options where you have a choice of installed
    items. etc etc

    Get a second hard disk, reinstall Windows in the same way as the original
    install, list the files.

    There is a zip file named "catalog.z". I am afraid to open it though.

    Darrell

    > Darrell,
    >
    > What is in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\%%DATA_DIR%% ??
    >
    > %%DATA_DIR%% doesn't look good to me.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:u4q%23X3%23iFHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Darrell <eddy@latech.edu> hunted and pecked:
    >> I would like to have it for troubleshooting purposes. I am concerned
    >> that
    >> there may be directories that should not be there. I have the following
    >> directory that I do not recognize. It is:
    >> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\%%DATA_DIR%%.
    >>
    >> Darrell
    >>

    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Your should have:
    >>>
    >>> (1) Documents and Settings Folder
    >>> (1) Programs Folder
    >>> (1) Recycler Folder
    >>> (1) System Volume Information Folder
    >>> (1) Windows folder
    >>>
    >>> Surely you do not need a listing of the many, many files within each
    >>> folder?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Carey Frisch
    >>> Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>>
    >>> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

Default Microsoft Windows XP