How upgrade CPU in Dell Dimension 8400 from 3.0 to 3.6???

How upgrade CPU in Dell Dimension 8400 from 3.0 to 3.6???

Have Dell Dimension 8400 with 3.0ghz HT CPU 5xx series with 1mb of L2
cache. LGA775

May be getting a cheap 3.6ghz chip that was pulled from a Dell without
the Heatsink.

Question 1: Can the current heatsink and fan in my Dell support the
3.6 GHZ LGA 775 (same socket as current 3.0 ghz) CPU or do I need an
upgrade?

Question 2: I know I may need some thermal grease but besides that do
I need anything?

Thanks, Patty
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade dell dimension 8400

    <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How upgrade CPU in Dell Dimension 8400 from 3.0 to 3.6???
    >
    > Have Dell Dimension 8400 with 3.0ghz HT CPU 5xx series with 1mb of L2
    > cache. LGA775
    >
    > May be getting a cheap 3.6ghz chip that was pulled from a Dell without
    > the Heatsink.
    >
    > Question 1: Can the current heatsink and fan in my Dell support the
    > 3.6 GHZ LGA 775 (same socket as current 3.0 ghz) CPU or do I need an
    > upgrade?
    >

    > Question 2: I know I may need some thermal grease but besides that do
    > I need anything?
    >

    > Thanks, Patty

    Among the first and most important things: read the documentation over at
    www.support.dell.com for 'replacing the cpu/processor' to familiarize
    yourself with what's involved.

    Secondly, you'd best have a steady hand and careful eye with regard to the
    CPU socket pins. One minor bump, drop, or rub and your motherboard is a TV
    tray.

    Stew

    Thanks. Yes I saw someone fry a mobo once by putting it in incorrectly.
    I did read the Docs at Dell and found that the current heatsink and fan
    are fine.

    Thank you
    Patty

    > Thanks. Yes I saw someone fry a mobo once by putting it in incorrectly.
    > I did read the Docs at Dell and found that the current heatsink and fan
    > are fine.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Patty

    With this board, there's less concern with frying the mobo than there is in
    *damaging or bending the cpu socket pins*. That's what I meant by one
    dropped screw, cable, or the cpu itself (into the open socket).

    Good luck. Glad you found the info. you wanted.

    Stew

    > With this board, there's less concern with frying the mobo than there is
    in
    > *damaging or bending the cpu socket pins*. That's what I meant by one
    > dropped screw, cable, or the cpu itself (into the open socket).
    >
    > Good luck. Glad you found the info. you wanted.

    Does she need to reset the clock setting or multiplier when changing to a
    faster processor?

    "SGD" <nobody@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> With this board, there's less concern with frying the mobo than there is
    > in
    >> *damaging or bending the cpu socket pins*. That's what I meant by one
    >> dropped screw, cable, or the cpu itself (into the open socket).
    >>
    >> Good luck. Glad you found the info. you wanted.
    >
    > Does she need to reset the clock setting or multiplier when changing to a
    > faster processor?

    Nope. The newer Intel multipliers are locked, even in homebuilt systems so
    it's not a factor.

    In theory, she should be able to drop the new CPU in, boot into BIOS to
    verify and go. About the most she might need would be a BIOS flash - and I
    don't think that's the case (and I'd even try the chip FIRST before
    flashing).

    The clock speed will automatically change in BIOS when the new chip is
    added.

    I once saw a 2.4GHz/400mhz Celeron that believed it was a 3.40 (or so) with
    a 667mhz FSB :) At least that's what the CPU was telling BIOS. Ultimately
    was a bad power supply.

    Stew

Dell CPUs Dimension Computers