[SOLVED] After replacing HDD for SSD, how install Mac OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Lets say I replace a HDD of a 2010 MacMini or White Macbook for a SSD, how do I install Mac OS Snow Leopard aftwerards? I sitll have the discs with the OS, is this possible?

What about when Apple sells Lion in a USB flash drive, can I install Lion in any HDD/SSD?

Solution

You shouldn't have any trouble installing SL on your Mac Mini or MB from the install disks that came with it after you upgrade the drive to an SSD.

Well, if you uprade to SL you'll have no need to wait for a USB flash drive, you can upgrade straight to Lion from there or follow the steps below if you'd prefer to wipe and re-install:

1. Once you've pulled Lion down from the Mac App Store, right-click on the installer and select the option "Show Package...

halcyon

Splendid

You shouldn't have any trouble installing SL on your Mac Mini or MB from the install disks that came with it after you upgrade the drive to an SSD.

Well, if you uprade to SL you'll have no need to wait for a USB flash drive, you can upgrade straight to Lion from there or follow the steps below if you'd prefer to wipe and re-install:

1. Once you've pulled Lion down from the Mac App Store, right-click on the installer and select the option "Show Package Contents." This is your Mac's way of tearing the wrapping off a virtual install disk to access all the shiny bits (aka "files" ) inside.

2. Open the "Contents" folder, then look for a "SharedSupport" folder and open that. Inside, you'll find something called "InstallESD.dmg." This is the file we're looking for .

3. Copy that file ("InstallESD.dmg" ) to a folder outside of the installer (your desktop works fine).

4. Open the "Utilities" folder on your Mac and launch "Disk Utility."

5. Select "Burn" from the "Images" menu option, or just click the yellow and black icon on the menu bar.

6. Browse to wherever you copied "InstallEDG.dmg" and select that—drop in a writeable DVD, wait for it to burn, and bingo, instant bootable OS X Lion DVD.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.