Files and Settings Transfer Wizard -- Can parts of backup ..

I used the wizard to make a backup of files and settings, but did not use it
after completing a new Windows XP Pro clean install because I feared that it
had exported the trojan horse "virus" that I had been unable to remove from
my previous installation. Is there any way to open the wizard's backup and
select those files that I would like to have restored? Failing that, is it
possible to just open the wizard's file and copy then paste files that I
would like to restore -- such as prior favorites, for example. Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about files settings transfer wizard parts backup

    No. More than likely, the "virus" is not in the transfer.
    Scan the file before using it.

    List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Bill3205" wrote:

    | I used the wizard to make a backup of files and settings, but did not use it
    | after completing a new Windows XP Pro clean install because I feared that it
    | had exported the trojan horse "virus" that I had been unable to remove from
    | my previous installation. Is there any way to open the wizard's backup and
    | select those files that I would like to have restored? Failing that, is it
    | possible to just open the wizard's file and copy then paste files that I
    | would like to restore -- such as prior favorites, for example. Thanks.

    From Help and Support: "We recommend that you install a virus detection
    program on the new computer before transferring files over from the old
    computer. This can help protect your new computer from viruses that may be
    contained in the files transferred over from your old computer." Don't
    quote me on this - but since the "wizard" allows "selective selection"
    concerning what will be transferred - it would seem that you would be able
    to select files to be placed on new machine however never having used the
    wizard????

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    You cannot selectively install files using the Transfer Wizard.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Bill3205" <Bill3205@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I used the wizard to make a backup of files and settings, but did not use it
    >after completing a new Windows XP Pro clean install because I feared that it
    >had exported the trojan horse "virus" that I had been unable to remove from
    >my previous installation. Is there any way to open the wizard's backup and
    >select those files that I would like to have restored? Failing that, is it
    >possible to just open the wizard's file and copy then paste files that I
    >would like to restore -- such as prior favorites, for example. Thanks.

    That is not possible with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

    For detailed information about using FASTW and the options that are
    available in it see the article by MVP Gary Woodruff at
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --