How can non-domain computers offer remote assistance?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a support company that can vpn into my company network with a domain
account I provided. I have also given this account membership in remote
desktop users group via GPO. But I fear this will not work since the support
person will not be prompted for a username and password.

I am curious about the local HelpServicesGroup group. Can I add the support
account to this group and allow the support person access or is there a
better way than installing VNC or gotomypc.com?????
--
Rob J

HelpServicesGroup is about Remote Assistance, not Remote Desktop, a totally different application.

305608 - HOW TO Enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305608

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DF59501-B55A-40FA-AD55-6FBE075B51E2@microsoft.com...
>I have a support company that can vpn into my company network with a domain
> account I provided. I have also given this account membership in remote
> desktop users group via GPO. But I fear this will not work since the support
> person will not be prompted for a username and password.
>
> I am curious about the local HelpServicesGroup group. Can I add the support
> account to this group and allow the support person access or is there a
> better way than installing VNC or gotomypc.com?????
> --
> Rob J

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I realize Remote Desktop is a non-shared TS session. And I realize Offer
Remote Assistance is a shared Desktop application. The question I have is
there any way to make use of Windows XP's native tools to share a desktop
with a non-administrator, non-domain account with a third party, without
using Request Remote Assistance.
--
Rob J
MCSE/CCNA

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> HelpServicesGroup is about Remote Assistance, not Remote Desktop, a totally different application.
>
> 305608 - HOW TO Enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305608
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DF59501-B55A-40FA-AD55-6FBE075B51E2@microsoft.com...
> >I have a support company that can vpn into my company network with a domain
> > account I provided. I have also given this account membership in remote
> > desktop users group via GPO. But I fear this will not work since the support
> > person will not be prompted for a username and password.
> >
> > I am curious about the local HelpServicesGroup group. Can I add the support
> > account to this group and allow the support person access or is there a
> > better way than installing VNC or gotomypc.com?????
> > --
> > Rob J

No. There are remote scripting alternatives to synthesize the responces,( depending on your scripting skill level.), but no built in
way to do it.

--
Mark L. Ferguson