How can non-domain computers offer remote assistance?

I have a support company that can vpn into my company network with a domain
account I provided. I have also given this account membership in remote
desktop users group via GPO. But I fear this will not work since the support
person will not be prompted for a username and password.

I am curious about the local HelpServicesGroup group. Can I add the support
account to this group and allow the support person access or is there a
better way than installing VNC or gotomypc.com?????
--
Rob J
3 answers Last reply

    HelpServicesGroup is about Remote Assistance, not Remote Desktop, a totally different application.

    305608 - HOW TO Enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305608

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DF59501-B55A-40FA-AD55-6FBE075B51E2@microsoft.com...
    >I have a support company that can vpn into my company network with a domain
    > account I provided. I have also given this account membership in remote
    > desktop users group via GPO. But I fear this will not work since the support
    > person will not be prompted for a username and password.
    >
    > I am curious about the local HelpServicesGroup group. Can I add the support
    > account to this group and allow the support person access or is there a
    > better way than installing VNC or gotomypc.com?????
    > --
    > Rob J

    I realize Remote Desktop is a non-shared TS session. And I realize Offer
    Remote Assistance is a shared Desktop application. The question I have is
    there any way to make use of Windows XP's native tools to share a desktop
    with a non-administrator, non-domain account with a third party, without
    using Request Remote Assistance.
    --
    Rob J
    MCSE/CCNA

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > HelpServicesGroup is about Remote Assistance, not Remote Desktop, a totally different application.
    >
    > 305608 - HOW TO Enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305608
    >

    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DF59501-B55A-40FA-AD55-6FBE075B51E2@microsoft.com...
    > >I have a support company that can vpn into my company network with a domain
    > > account I provided. I have also given this account membership in remote
    > > desktop users group via GPO. But I fear this will not work since the support
    > > person will not be prompted for a username and password.
    > >
    > > I am curious about the local HelpServicesGroup group. Can I add the support
    > > account to this group and allow the support person access or is there a
    > > better way than installing VNC or gotomypc.com?????
    > > --
    > > Rob J

    No. There are remote scripting alternatives to synthesize the responces,( depending on your scripting skill level.), but no built in
    way to do it.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A223BD2-C576-4932-A1C2-E38B757F7C4B@microsoft.com...
    >I realize Remote Desktop is a non-shared TS session. And I realize Offer
    > Remote Assistance is a shared Desktop application. The question I have is
    > there any way to make use of Windows XP's native tools to share a desktop
    > with a non-administrator, non-domain account with a third party, without
    > using Request Remote Assistance.
    > --
    > Rob J
    > MCSE/CCNA
    >

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> HelpServicesGroup is about Remote Assistance, not Remote Desktop, a totally different application.
    >>
    >> 305608 - HOW TO Enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305608
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DF59501-B55A-40FA-AD55-6FBE075B51E2@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have a support company that can vpn into my company network with a domain
    >> > account I provided. I have also given this account membership in remote
    >> > desktop users group via GPO. But I fear this will not work since the support
    >> > person will not be prompted for a username and password.
    >> >
    >> > I am curious about the local HelpServicesGroup group. Can I add the support
    >> > account to this group and allow the support person access or is there a
    >> > better way than installing VNC or gotomypc.com?????
    >> > --
    >> > Rob J

Support Computers Domain Windows XP