laptop vs notebook vs ??

I know that laptop and notebook computers are portable machines.

What is the difference between the two?

Are there any other classifications of portable computers besides
laptop and portable?

Is there a computer that's a step down in size from a fullsize desktop
PC that operates from either an AC or DC power source? Something, for
instance, that could be easily moved from room to room in a
house.....and then used in an RV. Six or 8 pounds weight would be ok.

Lee Carkenord

First their were "portables". It's how Compaq got started. About 20 lbs.
circa 1985

Then, laptops. About 12 lbs. circa 1988.

Then, notebooks. About 8 lbs. circa 1992.

Then, sub-notes. About 3 lbs. circa 1994.

Then the cell-phone/PDA circa 2004. About 8 oz.

Does that help?

Of course, all of these were "multi-voltage".

<carkenord@juno.com> wrote in message
> I know that laptop and notebook computers are portable machines.
>
> What is the difference between the two?
>
> Are there any other classifications of portable computers besides
> laptop and portable?
>
> Is there a computer that's a step down in size from a fullsize desktop
> PC that operates from either an AC or DC power source? Something, for
> instance, that could be easily moved from room to room in a
> house.....and then used in an RV. Six or 8 pounds weight would be ok.
>
> Lee Carkenord

The terms are currently synonomous.
<carkenord@juno.com> wrote in message
> I know that laptop and notebook computers are portable machines.
>
> What is the difference between the two?
>
> Are there any other classifications of portable computers besides
> laptop and portable?
>
> Is there a computer that's a step down in size from a fullsize desktop
> PC that operates from either an AC or DC power source? Something, for
> instance, that could be easily moved from room to room in a
> house.....and then used in an RV. Six or 8 pounds weight would be ok.
>
> Lee Carkenord

Today, they are virtually the same. With earlier generations, Notebooks were
smaller and lighter in weight than Laptops.

Anyone remember the luggable's? We had the first Compaq "portable"
computer. One business trip is all anyone needed to realize that they were
NOT portable.

SGD wrote:

> Today, they are virtually the same. With earlier generations, Notebooks were
> smaller and lighter in weight than Laptops.
>
> Anyone remember the luggable's? We had the first Compaq "portable"
> computer. One business trip is all anyone needed to realize that they were
> NOT portable.

I think at work we had one of the first Compaq portables. It was very heavy
and the keyboard folded (closed or attached to the system). Small green
screen. When closed it look like a big square box. :)

Joan