Can't install any programs

I can no longer install any programs through the install wizard. It will get
to 50-70% finished, then say "are you sure you want to cancel the
installation?" even though I didn't hit cancel. If I try to restart the
installation, it just keeps saying the same thing. It has done this on five
different programs. Thanks for any help.
1 answer Last reply
More about install programs

    "KBenton" <KBenton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can no longer install any programs through the install wizard. It will
    >get
    > to 50-70% finished, then say "are you sure you want to cancel the
    > installation?" even though I didn't hit cancel. If I try to restart the
    > installation, it just keeps saying the same thing. It has done this on
    > five
    > different programs. Thanks for any help.

    See if Windows Installer is present in your list of services - and is NOT
    disabled.

    Start > Run and type
    services.msc
    click OK

    Note: Typically the startup type is 'Manual'.

    Here is some more information courtesy of Kelly MS-MVP
    Windows Installer Issues

    Run the edit on line 94: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    and/or:

    Go to Start/Run and type in:
    msiexec /unregister [click ok]

    Then Start/Run and type in:
    msiexec /regserver [click ok]

    If neither of the above has helped: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate
    to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer

    Does the image path in the right pane correctly point to: (modify drive
    letter as needed)
    C:\Windows\System32\Msiexec.exe /V

    If not: boot into safe mode and then go to Start/Run/CMD and type in:
    msiexec.exe

    Once done and while still there type in: msiexec /regserver
    Check the image path again, if it is now present, reboot.

    The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message When You
    Add or Remove Program

    Error Message: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This
    can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows
    Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for
    assistance. Line 94.

    Another note is, if you are running DirectX 9, many users are having this
    same issue. It seems to be prevelent to certain graphics cards and the
    dxdiag tool, doesn't help.

    The only workaround so far is to uninstall DirectX 9. If this is your case
    and an option you are willing to try...

    I have the download for the uninstaller listed on my site. The only
    modification to be made is to extracte the zip file to C:\DXTEMP and not
    C:\DXTEMP! as per the readme. Also, run it only in safe mode.

    Uninstall DirectX 9 (Line 112)

    Added info:

    Windows Installer can use logging to help assist in troubleshooting issues
    with installing software packages. To enable verbose logging apply this
    edit:

    Windows Installer Logging or Cleanup Utility (Line 84)

    Windows Installer will store the logs in the TEMP directory. The filename is
    random, but begins with the letters "Msi" and end with a .log extension.

    Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (Office Products)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/office2000pro/util20/1/NT4/EN-US/msicuu.exe

    Troubleshooting Windows Installer
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm#xp_wininstaller

    "Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error
    Message When You Add or Remove Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315346

    Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/office2000pro/util20/1/NT4/EN-US/msicuu.exe

    Run Windows Installer Clean Up, select the application which pops up with
    the Windows Installer, and click Remove.

Support Microsoft Windows XP