Can't install any programs

July 19, 2005 2:29:01 AM

I can no longer install any programs through the install wizard. It will get
to 50-70% finished, then say "are you sure you want to cancel the
installation?" even though I didn't hit cancel. If I try to restart the
installation, it just keeps saying the same thing. It has done this on five
different programs. Thanks for any help.

More about : install programs

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:54:12 AM

"KBenton" <KBenton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can no longer install any programs through the install wizard. It will
>get
> to 50-70% finished, then say "are you sure you want to cancel the
> installation?" even though I didn't hit cancel. If I try to restart the
> installation, it just keeps saying the same thing. It has done this on
> five
> different programs. Thanks for any help.

See if Windows Installer is present in your list of services - and is NOT
disabled.

Start > Run and type
services.msc
click OK

Note: Typically the startup type is 'Manual'.

Here is some more information courtesy of Kelly MS-MVP
Windows Installer Issues

Run the edit on line 94: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
and/or:

Go to Start/Run and type in:
msiexec /unregister [click ok]

Then Start/Run and type in:
msiexec /regserver [click ok]

If neither of the above has helped: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate
to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer

Does the image path in the right pane correctly point to: (modify drive
letter as needed)
C:\Windows\System32\Msiexec.exe /V

If not: boot into safe mode and then go to Start/Run/CMD and type in:
msiexec.exe

Once done and while still there type in: msiexec /regserver
Check the image path again, if it is now present, reboot.

The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message When You
Add or Remove Program

Error Message: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This
can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows
Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for
assistance. Line 94.

Another note is, if you are running DirectX 9, many users are having this
same issue. It seems to be prevelent to certain graphics cards and the
dxdiag tool, doesn't help.

The only workaround so far is to uninstall DirectX 9. If this is your case
and an option you are willing to try...

I have the download for the uninstaller listed on my site. The only
modification to be made is to extracte the zip file to C:\DXTEMP and not
C:\DXTEMP! as per the readme. Also, run it only in safe mode.

Uninstall DirectX 9 (Line 112)

Added info:

Windows Installer can use logging to help assist in troubleshooting issues
with installing software packages. To enable verbose logging apply this
edit:

Windows Installer Logging or Cleanup Utility (Line 84)

Windows Installer will store the logs in the TEMP directory. The filename is
random, but begins with the letters "Msi" and end with a .log extension.

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (Office Products)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/office2000pro/ut...

Troubleshooting Windows Installer
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm#xp_wininstalle...

"Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error
Message When You Add or Remove Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315346

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://download.microsoft.com/download/office2000pro/ut...

Run Windows Installer Clean Up, select the application which pops up with
the Windows Installer, and click Remove.
!