Modem sound during dialup only for Admin users

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I am using Windows XP SP2, latest security patches, with an internal
Conceptronic "SoftK56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP" modem.

My problem is that the modem only sounds during dialup if the user is a
member of the "Administrators" group, but not if it is only a member of the
"Users" group. The sound card works fine and the modem properties are
configured to enable the speakerphone in both cases. I have verified that if
I add the user to the "Administrators" group, the modem sounds. If I remove
it from the group, it does not sound.

The problem described also in this post, but no solution was posted:

http://groups.google.es/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/dbbd96d8f0caab99/6e9fbf6b61f45e0a

Before contacting the manufacturer, I would like it if is a problem, issue,
bug or "bydesign" of Windows XP.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Quintero
3 answers Last reply
More about modem sound dialup admin users
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    The default 'administrator" user profile probably includes an 'init string' or "Extra Settings" entry for "m0=3", or perhape the
    non-admin default profile has some M0= init string. (M zero)

    Open device manager, modem properties, advanced, to see the 'extra settings' input box.

    start/run, type :
    HH ms-its:%windir%\Help\mode.chm::/MODE_configureinstalledmodem.htm

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Carlos J. Quintero [.NET MVP]" <carlosq@NOSPAMsogecable.com> wrote in message news:%23yZmV6EjFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Windows XP SP2, latest security patches, with an internal Conceptronic "SoftK56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP"
    > modem.
    >
    > My problem is that the modem only sounds during dialup if the user is a member of the "Administrators" group, but not if it is
    > only a member of the "Users" group. The sound card works fine and the modem properties are configured to enable the speakerphone
    > in both cases. I have verified that if I add the user to the "Administrators" group, the modem sounds. If I remove it from the
    > group, it does not sound.
    >
    > The problem described also in this post, but no solution was posted:
    >
    > http://groups.google.es/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/dbbd96d8f0caab99/6e9fbf6b61f45e0a
    >
    > Before contacting the manufacturer, I would like it if is a problem, issue, bug or "bydesign" of Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Carlos Quintero

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Mark,

    I don´t think so. I already reviewed the modem extra settings and they were
    blank (also, wouldn´t they be the same for all profiles?). I tried adding
    M0=... to enable / disable the speakerphone and in fact it had no effect.

    Also, as I said, making the user a member of the Administrators group makes
    it work fine automatically. So, could it be something related to
    permissions? More ideas?

    Carlos

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > The default 'administrator" user profile probably includes an 'init
    > string' or "Extra Settings" entry for "m0=3", or perhape the non-admin
    > default profile has some M0= init string. (M zero)
    >
    > Open device manager, modem properties, advanced, to see the 'extra
    > settings' input box.
    >
    > start/run, type :
    > HH ms-its:%windir%\Help\mode.chm::/MODE_configureinstalledmodem.htm
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I doubt it is permissions as much as it might be a Hkey_current_user registry entry controlling the init string. My guess would be
    the modem driver setup does something like that. Maybe a search with regedt32.exe might result in a data entry of "M0="

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Carlos J. Quintero [.NET MVP]" <carlosq@NOSPAMsogecable.com> wrote in message news:OhglC1QjFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > I don´t think so. I already reviewed the modem extra settings and they were blank (also, wouldn´t they be the same for all
    > profiles?). I tried adding M0=... to enable / disable the speakerphone and in fact it had no effect.
    >
    > Also, as I said, making the user a member of the Administrators group makes it work fine automatically. So, could it be something
    > related to permissions? More ideas?
    >
    > Carlos
    >

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje news:%23JwHbuGjFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> The default 'administrator" user profile probably includes an 'init string' or "Extra Settings" entry for "m0=3", or perhape the
    >> non-admin default profile has some M0= init string. (M zero)
    >>
    >> Open device manager, modem properties, advanced, to see the 'extra settings' input box.
    >>
    >> start/run, type :
    >> HH ms-its:%windir%\Help\mode.chm::/MODE_configureinstalledmodem.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson

Dialup Microsoft Modem Windows XP