sp2 Install Problem

I have a machine, that is running XP pro, but does not have sp2 installed. By
the time I got the machine it was completly cluttered with spyware, and
pop-ups were coming up even when it wasn't connected to the Internet. I've
tried to install SP2 and it gets to almost the end and the machine begins
getting pop-ups and eventually reboots...Any Thoughts???
--
Patrick
3 answers Last reply

    caterpat,
    Like many of us have had to do when you get to a point where the
    computer is so messed up; a clean re-install of XP comes to mind.
    Of course that means everything on the hard drive will be wiped.
    You will need all the latest drivers for your particular computers
    motherboard and devices.
    After the fresh install, and before you hook up to the internet, make
    sure that XP SP1's firewall is activated. Download and install SP2 &
    all updates.
    Re-install your applications and data.
    I'm sure this advise will prompt a follow up post of 20 to 30 spyware,
    anti-virus, hyperlinks and how to clean up this mess.
    If you decide to start from scratch, you will end up with a faster,
    more secure computer.
    My2Cents,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Ex New Yorker

    Hi, Patrick.

    Obvious question: When you "got the machine [that] was completly cluttered
    with spyware", why did not not IMMEDIATELY reinstall WinXP from the CD-ROM,
    including a reformat?

    If there is anything there that you want to save, find a way to back it up,
    then clean install and apply SP2. Before you go online again, be sure at
    least the built-in firewall is working, and install a good antivirus as soon
    as you can. Then go online and visit Windows Update to be sure you have all
    the post-SP2 critical updates.

    You COULD spend hours/days/weeks trying to clean up your current system, but
    you still would not be sure there was nothing hidden in a closet biding its
    time. If I bought a used computer - or just a hard drive - a reformat would
    be just about the first order of business. Even if we know hime and trust
    his motives, we never know for sure how good the prior owner was at
    "practicing safe hex".

    Backing up the good stuff, reinstalling WinXP, installing SP2, getting
    protection in place, and getting Windows Updates - sounds like a good
    half-day's work. Reinstalling applications and restoring backed-up data -
    depends on which apps (and do you have the installation media for them).
    Restoring data should not take long.

    But DO NOT continue to run an infected computer, no matter how much trouble
    it is to clean it up first! Especially if it was infected before you got
    control of it!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "caterpat" <caterpat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a machine, that is running XP pro, but does not have sp2 installed.
    >By
    > the time I got the machine it was completly cluttered with spyware, and
    > pop-ups were coming up even when it wasn't connected to the Internet. I've
    > tried to install SP2 and it gets to almost the end and the machine begins
    > getting pop-ups and eventually reboots...Any Thoughts???
    > --
    > Patrick

    "caterpat" <caterpat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a machine, that is running XP pro, but does not have sp2 installed.
    >By
    > the time I got the machine it was completly cluttered with spyware, and
    > pop-ups were coming up even when it wasn't connected to the Internet. I've
    > tried to install SP2 and it gets to almost the end and the machine begins
    > getting pop-ups and eventually reboots...Any Thoughts???
    > --
    > Patrick

    Time to reformat and do a clean install.

Microsoft Windows XP