Play Sound only from DVD

July 19, 2005 11:14:03 AM

Dumb question, but... Have a DVD with a great sound track. No interest in
watching just to hear the music, but don't want to destroy it. Anyone know
if putting the disk into an el cheapo, boom-box style CD player will play the
audio only ? Without ruining the whole disk ? When asked this question, my
first thought was No, it won't play it. But promised I would ask the experts
here.... Anyone ever tried this ? What hapened ?
Will appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks.

More about : play sound dvd

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:51:35 PM

You need a DVD player to play a DVD disc.
A CD player cannot play a DVD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"bobnrobin" wrote:

| Dumb question, but... Have a DVD with a great sound track. No interest in
| watching just to hear the music, but don't want to destroy it. Anyone know
| if putting the disk into an el cheapo, boom-box style CD player will play the
| audio only ? Without ruining the whole disk ? When asked this question, my
| first thought was No, it won't play it. But promised I would ask the experts
| here.... Anyone ever tried this ? What hapened ?
| Will appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:51:36 PM

Thanks, Carey. That's what I thought, but promised the questioner I'd ask
the experts...
Thanks again.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You need a DVD player to play a DVD disc.
> A CD player cannot play a DVD.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "bobnrobin" wrote:
>
> | Dumb question, but... Have a DVD with a great sound track. No interest in
> | watching just to hear the music, but don't want to destroy it. Anyone know
> | if putting the disk into an el cheapo, boom-box style CD player will play the
> | audio only ? Without ruining the whole disk ? When asked this question, my
> | first thought was No, it won't play it. But promised I would ask the experts
> | here.... Anyone ever tried this ? What hapened ?
> | Will appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks.

July 28, 2005 6:26:11 PM

You can of course use software that can rip the audio from the DVD which you
can then burn it to CD-Rom,
DVD Audio Extractor 3.3.1 which is available at www.download.com
this software should do the trick!

Arioch