Device detection or re-detection

I know how to do this with Windows 2000 but not with Windows XP...

I use an external modem. If I turn the modem on before turning the PC on,
all is well. If I turn the modem on after the PC has booted, Windows XP
does not know the modem is there.

In Win 2K I could open control panel and detect new hardware as a solution.

How can I do this in XP especially if I am running as a limited user? I
have the administrative password, I do not run as administrator though.

Thank you,

John C

To clarify - how do I redetect hardware without a reboot.

If I need to run something as an Administrator, I am fine with that.

Thanks,

John C.

"NayJo" <CrawNOSPAMforMEford@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I know how to do this with Windows 2000 but not with Windows XP...
>
> I use an external modem. If I turn the modem on before turning the PC on,
> all is well. If I turn the modem on after the PC has booted, Windows XP
> does not know the modem is there.
>
> In Win 2K I could open control panel and detect new hardware as a
solution.

> How can I do this in XP especially if I am running as a limited user? I
> have the administrative password, I do not run as administrator though.
>
> Thank you,
>
> John C

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:44:29 -0400, NayJo wrote:

> To clarify - how do I redetect hardware without a reboot.
>
> If I need to run something as an Administrator, I am fine with that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John C.
>
> "NayJo" <CrawNOSPAMforMEford@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> I know how to do this with Windows 2000 but not with Windows XP...
>>
>> I use an external modem. If I turn the modem on before turning the PC on,
>> all is well. If I turn the modem on after the PC has booted, Windows XP
>> does not know the modem is there.
>>
>> In Win 2K I could open control panel and detect new hardware as a
> solution.
>>
>> How can I do this in XP especially if I am running as a limited user? I
>> have the administrative password, I do not run as administrator though.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> John C

I am having the same problem. In 98 SE, the modem was always listed in
device manager. With XP, the modem is listed only if it is turned on
before booting. Is this another dumb "by design" feature of XP?
--
r.s.nevin@att.net

Well, I am working on a Win2K machine now and on it (I may be answering my
own question here) I open Control Panel->Add/Remove Hardware, get the
Add/Remove Hardware Wizard, click Next, Select Add/Troubleshoot a device,
click Next, let the system search for new hardware and when it is done click
Cancel.

That is usually enough - and if this translates to XP then I may have
answered my own question and yours.

<Bob@see-below-for-address.com> wrote in message

> I am having the same problem. In 98 SE, the modem was always listed in
> device manager. With XP, the modem is listed only if it is turned on
> before booting. Is this another dumb "by design" feature of XP?
> --
> r.s.nevin@att.net

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:48:48 -0400, NayJo wrote:

> Well, I am working on a Win2K machine now and on it (I may be answering my
> own question here) I open Control Panel->Add/Remove Hardware, get the
> Add/Remove Hardware Wizard, click Next, Select Add/Troubleshoot a device,
> click Next, let the system search for new hardware and when it is done click
> Cancel.
>
> That is usually enough - and if this translates to XP then I may have
> answered my own question and yours.

> <Bob@see-below-for-address.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I am having the same problem. In 98 SE, the modem was always listed in
>> device manager. With XP, the modem is listed only if it is turned on
>> before booting. Is this another dumb "by design" feature of XP?
>> --
>> r.s.nevin@att.net

I am not sure that you have answered your own question. Why should you
have to go through such an exercise in the first place? In 98 SE, the
modem is always recognized. Is not that the issue?

I wonder why we are the only ones discussing this issue. Where are the XP
experts. Obviously, this is another bug in XP.
--
r.s.nevin@att.net

> I am not sure that you have answered your own question. Why should you
> have to go through such an exercise in the first place? In 98 SE, the
> modem is always recognized. Is not that the issue?
>
> I wonder why we are the only ones discussing this issue. Where are the XP
> experts. Obviously, this is another bug in XP.
> --
> r.s.nevin@att.net

I don't think of it as a bug in XP because XP is designed to check for new
hardware and different configurations at boot time. I don't think the modem
is always recognized in 98 SE as much as it is assumed to be there unless
there is evidence to the contrary.

I did try running the add new hardware wizard but can not because I
intentionally run with limited access. I have some other ideas that I will
try out and if I find a solution I will let you know.

John C

From Jetro in windowsxp.configuration.manage:

"Run Device Manager as Administrator and rescan hardware changes.

runas /noprofile /user:mymachine\administrator "mmc
%windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc"

Submit your machine name instead of mymachine or do not submit it at all."

I didn't use machine name and piped the command to a .bat file. So my batch
file is:

runas /noprofile /user:administrator "mmc %windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc"

This works just fine for me.

John C.