Error Message: "No ID on Disk"

Greetings all,
Trying to use some 3 year old 3.5 High Density floppies that have been
previously formatted and had data on them. My floppy drive appears to
read them then I get the following:
" No ID on Disk"
Have tried Google and found this question has been asked previously on
other forums but always without an answer.
Any ideas :idea: would be appreciated.
Thanks,
ultra_classic

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Error-Message-quot-ID-Disk-quot-ftopict397957.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1313172
3 answers Last reply
More about error message disk

    Presumably you have no problems reading 'newer' floppies - just the 3 year
    old disks.

    If so, then I believe it is because of the following:

    SYMPTOMS
    After you perform a quick format on an unformatted floppy disk in Windows NT
    File Manager or MS-DOS Command Prompt, the following error message appears
    when you copy large files to the floppy disk:
    No ID address mark was found on the floppy disk.
    CAUSE
    This is expected behavior. When you quick format an unformatted floppy disk,
    correct data structures are placed; however, no media test and verification
    of cluster usability are performed.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, perform the normal format on an unformatted floppy
    disk.

    "ultra_classic" wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    > Trying to use some 3 year old 3.5 High Density floppies that
    > have been previously formatted and had data on them. My floppy
    > drive appears to read them then I get the following:
    > " No ID on Disk"
    > Have tried Google and found this question has been asked
    > previously on other forums but always without an
    > answer.

    > Any ideas :idea: would be appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > ultra_classic

    Greetings Mike T,
    Thanks for the quick response. I don’t know if I can read any new
    floppies or not...I don’t own any.

    As far as the ten or so older ones I have (I do believe they were
    quick formatted...ouch!) Not only do I get the error ’No ID on
    Disk’, but I cannot format them either. Unable to access them no
    matter what I do. :?:

    Opening my computer and double clicking on A:drive I get a request to
    insert a disk. I put the disk in the drive and it sounds like it
    starts to read and then the ’Insert Disk Window’ remains on the
    screen. Maybe these old disks are ’toast’ or the drive is
    ’toast’. :roll:

    Guess I’ll have to spring for some new HD disks and try them.
    Thanks again,
    ultra_classic :(

    "ultra_classic" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "ultra_classic" wrote:
    > Maybe these old disks are toast or the drive is toast.

    Sorry to hear that but thanks for posting back.

Error Message Windows XP