mounting a Heatsink

G

Hello, i've been having problems with a GeForce 1 DDR for a long time. locks up in any 3D app or game within minutes of starting. after some experimenting I found that it was overheating and locking up the video only. i know this because i can still hear sounds and the HD is still moving. I have gotten the card to run somewhat stable with a 24inch fan blowing into the case at highest setting. This is quite annoying as it should run fine as is. i am not overclocking anything. after looking at the pitiful fan and heatsink on it, i want to try and replace it and see if that makes a difference. i do have a heatsink of an old P2 that i think might work but dont know how to mount it. Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i had the same problem with my gf2 gts. i machined a large aluminum heatsink and put a 80x80 fan on it. to mount it, i made nylon screws and some nylon bolts. there should be some holes in your graphics card (not sure why they're there), and i just put them through that then drilled holes in the heatsink, threaded them in and put the nuts on the back. works awsome.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I have a GF2 MX board and it's working fine, but I noticed that unlike other cards with the same chip from different manufacturers, my card did not have any heatsink or fan. Should I be worried? I'm uncomfortable machining parts or drilling holes in my hardware, but would be willing to mount a heatsink and/or fan if there's a way to do it. The manufacturer of my board is Visiontek if it matters. I did not see any obvious way to mount anything over the chip.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use frag tape if you can fined it (double sided aluminum heat transfer tape). If your present heatsink has no fan, you can screw a 486 fan into it (easiest solution). You can also use Artic Silver epoxy. You could also try to find a self-adhesive cooler on an old chip (frag tape already mounted). Or you can use a VERY THIN coat of JB Weld (it conducts heat fairly well, but not as good as the heatsink, so use a thin film of it). Be carefull not to allow JB Weld to contact any circuites as it conducts electricity!

Suicide is painless...........