Is 2600 on 3DMark 2001 Bad For This Machine??

G

Here is my machine:
AMD Athlon 1000Mhz
KT7100-RAID Motherboard
256MB PC100 RAM (Generic)
ELSA Gladiac GF2 GTS
Sound Blaster Live!

When I ran 3DMark2001 at 1024x768x16, with 16bit textures, 16-bit zbuffer, and a double buffer, I only managed to score ~2600 3DMarks. When comparing to other systems, I seem to be off by almost 1000 points. Is this a problem with my motherboard/RAM combination, motherboard/video card combination, or is my computer just messed up? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running under Windows 98 and I'm using version 6.67 drivers from NVIDIA. Another wierd thing is that with 3DMark2000, I was getting similar scores to users with similar PC's. Why would my scores fall off from what other users with similar PC's are getting in 3DMark2001??

I upgraded my VIA drivers to 4.29 and my NVIDIA drivers to 11.00, and I'm now getting 2600 on the default 32-bit test. Before, as I posted below, I would get only 2346. Something is still f***ed up though!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Darkrift on 03/27/01 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first of all, i think it is better to run the benchmark at default settings for comparison (32bit and stuff). anyway, what OS are you using (winME/9x scores a bit higher than win2k)? your scores are a bit low, what drivers are you using? i recommend the 11.01 version. also, i would think that a vast majority of people on these forums use pc133 (and probably cas2) memory so your generic (probably cas3) pc100 does hurt your performance somewhat. also, a lot of people overclock their video cards which boosts performance as well as overclocking via the fsb which also boosts performance at a given mhz. otherwise, for comparison sake i have:
epox ep-8kta+ mobo
t-bird 1000
leadtek gf2 gts (not overclocked) (11.01 drivers)
dx8 (obviously)
via 4in1 version 4.29 drivers
windows 2000

and i score between 3000 and 3100

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Something is not up to par I scored the same with this combo
P3 550@733
384 PC133 Ram
GeForce 256 DDR 32MB
CUSL2 Mobo
SB Live
1024x768x32

I got around the same score with a slower Vid Card and Proc. I was using WinMe. Do you have anything running in the background? You system should be significantly higher.
Guess you got some tweaking to do.

Good luck

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i get 4540+ with p3 550 128 ram and hercules gf2 gts 32mb so i have no clue what is going on

where did all my money go, ahh... [-peep-], forgot that i lived in london

G

Terrible!!!
<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?459237" target="_new">http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?459237</A>
=3180 1024*768*16 PIII @ 733

I recommend you start w/ your Irq's(make sure at least your GF2 isn't sharing), and make sure you are using v.10.80 Det. Ref. drivers.

BTW, That 4k+ score above is a 2k score, not 2k1 (BIG diff)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
...what Ledzep said. However, PC-133 + CAS2 is only worth about 100 points. 4-Way Interleave + Page mode maybe another 100 points. Still I think something else is wrong with your system. Make sure nothing is in PCI slot 1 (next to the AGP port) and make sure that the video card is not sharing an IRQ.

Test your system again using the default benchmark so that we know where you stand.

Phsstpok

2359 3DMark 2001 (default benchmark)
Duron 600 @ 1007mhz
KT7 (not RAID), WZb01 BIOS
VisionTek Geforce256 SDR @150/210, AGP 4X, FastWrites
128mb OCZ Enhanced PC-133 SDRAM, 4-way, 4K Page Mode, CAS 2, Turbo timing
Windows 98SE

G

I tested my machine with the 3DMark2001 defaults:
1024x768x32, Double Buffer, 24-bit zbuffer, Compressed textures and I got a 2346. Does anyone know of a quick way I can check if my graphics card is sharing an IRQ??

G

In 95, just run MSD. In 98-Me, run hwinfo /ui and then click view -> resource summary. Scroll down to the bottom for irq's.

In 2000, right click on "My Computer", click on properties, click on Hardware tab, click on Device manager button. Click on view-> resources by type. Click on + sign next to Irq's.

Sofarasbenchmarksrefertorealitytheyarenotcertain. Sofarastheyarecertain,theydonotrefertoreality

G

The only thing sharing an IRQ with my videocard is the ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering, they are both 10. Is this OK, or is this my problem??

Thanks

G

Naw, that's normal. Any other IRQs have more than one device?

Sofarasbenchmarksrefertorealitytheyarenotcertain. Sofarastheyarecertain,theydonotrefertoreality

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
When you installed the 4-in-1 drivers did you select Turbo Mode when the AGP driver installed? If not then your AGP is running at 1X no matter the BIOS setting. This will cause a big performance hit. If you didn't activate Turbo mode you will have to reinstall. When installed, AGP will work at 2X or 4X depending on whether 4X is enabled in BIOS.

Also, try turning on DRAM 4-Way interleave in the BIOS.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
its been a while since ive done this so please help refresh my memory: when updating via 4-in-1 drivers, do you just run the setup program and overwrite the old version or is there a way to unistall the current ones and make a clean install of the drivers? i want 4.29 because they fixed a lot of stuff for win2k which i run so i figure i should update em.

If I knew how to write, I would put a signature right here--->

G

I did select turbo mode for the AGP Via drivers. I also have it enabled in the bios. Is there any chance that my motherboard is really screwed up/faulty and I may need to get another one?? (Or would my computer even be working if this was the case??)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't use Win2K so the procedure may be different.

The 4-in-1 uninstall procedure is a little strange. You unistall by running the Setup program and selecting all 4 options as if re-installing. Later, there are dialog boxes where you can uninstall each of the 4 applications (if they were installed in the first place).

I never bothered uninstalling, myself. I simply let the installer overwrite the old files. On the couple of occasions that I reverted to an older version, I made sure I replaced files. (The installer requests if you want to keep the newer version. I select 'no' each time).

G

I'm having the same sort of problem on my machine. It's very similar. Only big difference is T-bird 900. I just checked and found that my Geforce card is on IRQ 5. But also on IRQ 5 is three different refences to my sound card and the ACP IRQ steering. However, the ACP IRQ steering is listed twice (exactly the same). I know it's OK for one ACP steering to share, but should there be 2 and what do I do? Also, how do I change the IRQ settings for my soundcard? Thanks.

G

Also, my score in 3d2001 about 2200. In 3d2000 about 5080. BTW, what drivers are most people using with their Geforce boards. I have a Hercules DDR-DVI and right now I'm using 6.31.

G

The only IRQ combination that looks a little fishy to me on my machine is the fact that my Soundcard is sharing its IRQ with the PCI to USB Universal Host Controller(two of them in fact), and an ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering, all on IRQ 5. Another funny thing with this machine, is that when I run a DVD with my REALmagic Hollywood Plus DVD decoder, it skips and jumps, whereas before(with my last machine) it ran just fine, is this another sign of a problem??

G

I believe 6.50 is the fastest driver right now, besides any beta's that might me moving about.

G

You asked a mouthfull,bud... If this were any other board, I'd probably refer you to whatever tech support you have, but...

I will tell you what I do... (in as generic terms as I can)
1. Make SURE PNP OS is disabled in BIOS.
2. If possible, turn on "Manual" Resource allocation, but leave the individual settings as PNP in BIOS. (I hope this makes sense)
3. Enable assign Irq for VGA if applicable
4. Disconnect/disable all peripherals/interfaces (including SCSI,RAID,Paralell,Serial,etc).
5. Boot and let post...then it will load the bios and tell you there is no boot device or similar.
6. Re-connect JUST mass storage devices and your video card.
7. Let Boot.
8. Verify proper operation of Video Card.
9. Print out/copy down recource allacation (IRQs,DMAs)
10. Now intall your biggest pain in the *** board. (in this case, your sound card(SBLive,right?).
11. Reboot and re-check allocation/device functionality.
12. If all is well, copy down/print out allocations.
13. Continue adding resources one by one...

I know this sounds like a pain, but once you do it, you seldom have to do it again, and I find my system runs better. I find that Video and Sound cards (esp. newer ones) don't like to share at ALL. But, depending on how many peripherals, etc., you may not have to share ANY. I have found that USB and network adapters generally play nice on the same IRQ.

I hope this helps...

G

How are you getting yours to run on win2000. I have dual boot ME/win2k and the leadtek geforce 2gts. In Me I got 3029 with the 10.80 drivers. In win2k I am using the 11.01 and it runs but says didn't run enough test to score. Not sure what else to use. In ME it isn't sharing any IRQ's, in win2k it is sharing IRQ"s but nothing I can do about that. I had updated my bios to leadteks 6.2 bios but numbers were worse so I went back to the previous bios.
However for playing games I have had to go back to the .648 drivers in ME. But would like to see how it would score in win2k.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm using 10.80 drivers for my VisionTek Geforce256 SDR @150/210. My 3DMark2K1 score is 2359 which is 80 points higher than when I was using 6.50 Detonators.

Tried 11.x with no score gain but OpenGl apps started crashing so I returned to 10.80.

G

Just asking if any Celeron users can post your 2001 score.
I got 1284 after a fresh Win98 SE install.
My score seems to be ok after comparing on madonion !?
Celeron 533a oc/800 on Asus CUV4X
Elsa Erazor 3 TnT2 AGP 32 mb (not oc)
Mixed Sdram: PC133 64, 100 32, and a 66 32. 128mb total.
Quantum 9 gig 7200 U66.
TIA, Celery people