Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Where is everyone? No response to original post on the 15th
I want to change the sound of my new mail notification. I checked the
'help' info on the control panel and got this---To assign sounds to program
events
1.. Open Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel.
2.. On the Sounds tab, in the Program events list, click the program event
to which you want to assign a sound.
3.. In the Sounds box, click the sound you want to play whenever the
selected program event occurs.
4.. If the sound you want to use is not listed, click Browse to search for
it.
Notes
a.. To open Sounds and Audio Devices, click Start, click Control Panel,
and then double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.
b.. To test a sound, in the Sounds box, click the sound you want to test,
and then click Play sound . To stop the sound, click Stop .
The problem is there is no 'play sound' or 'stop' button on the sounds tab.

Also, I remember from Windows ME or 95 that there were many sounds to choose
from and now only Windows default and some wav sounds.

Max

"Max" <missmax2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> The problem is there is no 'play sound' or 'stop' button on the sounds
> tab.

From the previous reply (on 7/17/05)
--------------------------------------
There is a button to left of the Browse button with a 'right arrow' icon
that should play any valid sound selected in the 'sounds' list.

--------------------------------------

Note:
The functionality can be viewed by dragging the question mark (?) icon in
the upper right corner of the dialog box over this button with the right
arrow. Not sure I (er I should say we) can make it any clearer. But if
you're still confused please post back.

--
Michael

Mark L. Ferguson replied on the 15th...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/424639e01d9f31cf/effe4f864f6909e7?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support+insubject:sounds&rnum=2&hl=en#effe4f864f6909e7

To view only replies to your newsgroup messages

Ctrl + H

Or...

On the View menu, point to Current View, and then select Show Replies
to my Messages.

Also...

When you are in a newsgroup, on the View menu, point to Current View, and
then select Group Messages by Conversation.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:emz0HaJjFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Max <missmax2@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Where is everyone? No response to original post on the 15th
> I want to change the sound of my new mail notification. I checked the
> 'help' info on the control panel and got this---To assign sounds to
> program events
> 1.. Open Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel.
> 2.. On the Sounds tab, in the Program events list, click the program
> event to which you want to assign a sound.
> 3.. In the Sounds box, click the sound you want to play whenever the
> selected program event occurs.
> 4.. If the sound you want to use is not listed, click Browse to search
> for it.
> Notes
> a.. To open Sounds and Audio Devices, click Start, click Control Panel,
> and then double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.
> b.. To test a sound, in the Sounds box, click the sound you want to
> test, and then click Play sound . To stop the sound, click Stop .
> The problem is there is no 'play sound' or 'stop' button on the sounds
> tab.
>
> Also, I remember from Windows ME or 95 that there were many sounds to
> choose from and now only Windows default and some wav sounds.
>
> Max

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Thanks, but I can't find that reply............. I did check out the link
to see it.
Max

> Mark L. Ferguson replied on the 15th...
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/424639e01d9f31cf/effe4f864f6909e7?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support+insubject:sounds&rnum=2&hl=en#effe4f864f6909e7
>
> To view only replies to your newsgroup messages
>
> Ctrl + H
>
> Or...
>
> On the View menu, point to Current View, and then select Show Replies
> to my Messages.
>
> Also...
>
> When you are in a newsgroup, on the View menu, point to Current View, and
> then select Group Messages by Conversation.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:emz0HaJjFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Max <missmax2@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Where is everyone? No response to original post on the 15th
>> I want to change the sound of my new mail notification. I checked the
>> 'help' info on the control panel and got this---To assign sounds to
>> program events
>> 1.. Open Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel.
>> 2.. On the Sounds tab, in the Program events list, click the program
>> event to which you want to assign a sound.
>> 3.. In the Sounds box, click the sound you want to play whenever the
>> selected program event occurs.
>> 4.. If the sound you want to use is not listed, click Browse to search
>> for it.
>> Notes
>> a.. To open Sounds and Audio Devices, click Start, click Control Panel,
>> and then double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.
>> b.. To test a sound, in the Sounds box, click the sound you want to
>> test, and then click Play sound . To stop the sound, click Stop .
>> The problem is there is no 'play sound' or 'stop' button on the sounds
>> tab.
>>
>> Also, I remember from Windows ME or 95 that there were many sounds to
>> choose from and now only Windows default and some wav sounds.
>>
>> Max

I have no earthly idea why, but occasionally this happens. Happens to me
once in a while.

I don't know if it is an OE thing or what News Server your on thing.

I'm using msnews.microsoft.com

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes