Warranty Service With Non-Windows OS

I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
(OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
problem by loading Windows.
10 answers Last reply
More about warranty service windows

    I'd keep the original OS on the system while under warranty. Why give them
    an easy out?

    arnie wrote:
    > I'd keep the original OS on the system while under warranty. Why give them
    > an easy out?

    I probably will, but 3 years is quite a bit of time. Hmm...I wonder how
    small I can squeeze Windows...

    Dell Will only support Windows and Red Hat Linux, so you would be best to
    leave windows on because if they ever ask you to trouble shoot then you will
    be opening yourself upto all sorts of problems, its not about giving them an
    easy way out its all in your small print

    Fixer wrote:
    > Dell Will only support Windows and Red Hat Linux, so you would be best to
    > leave windows on because if they ever ask you to trouble shoot then you will
    > be opening yourself upto all sorts of problems, its not about giving them an
    > easy way out its all in your small print

    Well running Windows in qemu works quite well (with the accelerator
    module, you can get near native speed). I'm worried about when I need
    to actually send in the laptop for service.

    IF you need to send in the Laptop/Desktop for ANY reason you should NEVER
    send in your hard drive. Too many companies have come back and "lost"
    computers or have hard drives fail. There is no need for a company to have a
    hard drive to fix a computer. They will bitch sometimes but I never do
    that. I have had Apple complain but I always tell them they have a
    diagnostic CD and so does Dell. If not they should have a spare drive around
    they can throw around

    Wayne
    > Fixer wrote:
    >> Dell Will only support Windows and Red Hat Linux, so you would be best to
    >> leave windows on because if they ever ask you to trouble shoot then you
    >> will
    >> be opening yourself upto all sorts of problems, its not about giving them
    >> an
    >> easy way out its all in your small print
    >
    > Well running Windows in qemu works quite well (with the accelerator
    > module, you can get near native speed). I'm worried about when I need
    > to actually send in the laptop for service.

    buy another hard drive and install it and put the original in storage
    if there is a problem replace the new drive
    with the original, who is going to know.

    "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
    > (OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
    > free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
    > trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
    > warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
    > my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
    > problem by loading Windows.

    "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
    > (OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
    > free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
    > trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
    > warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
    > my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
    > problem by loading Windows.

    Never return your HD when you return your system for service or repair -
    unless it is a problem that involves the HD!

    Even if the problem is with the hard drive, NEVER return your system to Dell or
    any other name brand company for service. More often than not, the original
    chassis does not come back either. The companies somewhat mindlessly send out a
    replacement system on a pretty timely basis, then refurb the returned system if
    possible to recycle it the same way.

    In the past few months I have saved quite a few clients a lot of grief with
    failing hard drives of systems, even those still under warranty, desktops and
    notebooks alike. If the drive still cycles up and is readable, I can usually
    coax 99% of the client's data to find its way to the replacement drive. It's
    worth it for them to pay me to do this, because they have their business and
    personal data, much of which cannot be recreated. Yes, I know, people are
    horrific about doing backups. But even with regular backups, a failure at the
    wrong time can expose just the right amount of data to risk of being lost.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:00:51 +0100, "Tim Scott"
    <tim.scott@nospamplease.orange.net> wrote:

    >"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
    >> (OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
    >> free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
    >> trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
    >> warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
    >> my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
    >> problem by loading Windows.
    >
    >Never return your HD when you return your system for service or repair -
    >unless it is a problem that involves the HD!

    Nicholas,
    Yes. My Inspiron 7000 came with Win98, I had upgraded to XP, I called
    about a problem and was told to reload Win98 first.
    Paul

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
    > (OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
    > free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
    > trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
    > warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
    > my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
    > problem by loading Windows.

    Sure, Paul, and I had a similar experience when I upgraded from Windows 95
    to Windows 98. When you think about it, Dell's warranty applies to the
    computer they sold you, as is. You're free to change the original computer
    in any way you like, but Dell is not under any obligation to support any
    change that they didn't instruct you to make (or approve in advance, as in
    the case of drivers.)

    For example, when Win98 first came out, Dell offered an upgrade CD to its
    computer owners who had earlier versions of Windows. That was a supported
    upgrade.

    As for hardware support, if the OP experiences a hardware problem unrelated
    to Windows - like if the hard disk dies - Dell will make it right as long as
    it's under warranty. Dell warrants the hard disk to work.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Paul Schilter" <""paulschilter\"@comcast dot net"> wrote in message
    > Nicholas,
    > Yes. My Inspiron 7000 came with Win98, I had upgraded to XP, I called
    > about a problem and was told to reload Win98 first.
    > Paul
    >

    > Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > > I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
    > > (OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
    > > free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
    > > trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
    > > warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
    > > my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
    > > problem by loading Windows.

Dell Computers