Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Microsoft Training: Windows 7 Better than Linux

Last response: in News comments
September 8, 2009 11:12:38 PM

Well it's true, dunno what Microsoft said, but I definably believe myself that Windows is better than Linux (unless you're doing something Linux worthy like a web server or some cluster or anything).

For gaming, entertainment, day to day stuff Windows is better, has more apps, more options, and usually not a big deal finding drivers or configuring some weird stuff.
September 8, 2009 11:13:37 PM

windows 7 for 10 dollars?? where so i can take that lol
Related resources
September 8, 2009 11:19:36 PM

Microsoft FUDs about Linux again, quite typical. Not really news anymore. It's true that Linux has limited software support but a good chunk just ain't true.
September 8, 2009 11:31:43 PM

Every other company does this type of marketing on a daily basis, I don't see how it becomes news when Microsoft does it.

...and with Core i5 released today you can't even say it's a slow news day...
September 8, 2009 11:34:48 PM

does anyone here use Windows Live Essentials?
September 8, 2009 11:35:48 PM

screen shot looks true enough to me. I don't think wine is part of linux. It may be included in some distributions but it afaik is not built into the kernel. Also I lack knowledge of the other features but I would assume that limited on all that stuff is true. They aren't saying not supported for multimedia, just limited. Meaning that there are programs just not as many as for Windows which more than likely is true.

When I go to a popular download site such as download.com and search for software, the majority of the results are windows based. hence why it generally makes little sense to go out and buy a mac and rely entirely on mac osx (which is a modified beos, a type of unix). And yeah I know you can google for linux software. You guys writing this article think that most Windows/mac osx users would be able to install all the hardware and software they want? Think again, linux is not a newbie o/s and most people aren't going to put the effort in all the training involved in setting up linux. At least M$ isn't going on here claiming that win7 is a better solution than linux for use as a server o/s so I don't really see much point in why this article was written.
September 8, 2009 11:39:23 PM

AMDnoobdoes anyone here use Windows Live Essentials?

It was installed on my coworker's home computer but mcafee forced me to uninstall it. It seemed like a decent piece of software but between mcafee and ms live essentials I'd want to check other vendors besides those two. M$ has been a total slouch about their malware protection over the years and mcafee as well. Norton right now is the best one but even they don't catch everything.

And yeah I know the other features in live essentials such as automatic defrag and such. That stuff is cool and all but how often do you realy need to defrag a windows drive? once a day? no, I didn't think so. it is very rare for me to need a defrag and it generally has no performance benefit on anything I do it on regardless if the drive is 22% fragmented or 11%, once it is done defragging the PC runs exactly the same.
September 8, 2009 11:46:23 PM

I'd give Microsoft the benefit on gaming, but media playback is a wash, especially with MS incorporating new DRM in its operating systems starting with Vista. Windows almost always requires a codec pack, and without 3rd-party software, it's not easy to tell which codecs are installed and which are not. In Ubuntu at least (probably one of the more media-friendly distros) just add Medibuntu repositories, and you're good to go. Adding repositories could be more straightforward, but it's by no means "hard."
Other than gaming, the only thing keeping me on Windows is Adobe Creative Suite. I can't build and customize my rig if I go Mac, and that's the only other platform Adobe supports.

As for hardware, I've had more hardware troubles with Windows than with Linux. XP still won't find my Brother wireless laser printer. Ubuntu was happy to install it on both my desktop and laptop without complaint. Maybe that speaks more of Brother than of Microsoft, though. I'm not sure.
September 8, 2009 11:52:15 PM

The only reason Linux is still afloat is because it is free.
September 9, 2009 12:08:53 AM

This shows how much of a threat linux is to windows. I still think Windows is a better OS for personal use and single user mode. Linux is also very good, but it's free (the ones I used) which means a lot of the software is very unstable. In terms of features and stability, Openoffice.org still has a long way to go... but... it's getting closer and closer.
September 9, 2009 12:09:30 AM

Is it me or maybe people does not know how to use Linux... there is some programs that you can play LOTS of windows games with Linux and btw Microsoft Used before Linux for their own server because they don't even thrust their own Win server security.
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2009 12:10:45 AM

CryogenicWell it's true, dunno what Microsoft said, but I definably believe myself that Windows is better than Linux (unless you're doing something Linux worthy like a web server or some cluster or anything).For gaming, entertainment, day to day stuff Windows is better, has more apps, more options, and usually not a big deal finding drivers or configuring some weird stuff.

Wrong. Linux is great for every day use esp. considering how many viruses,etc are out in the wild aimed at Windows. If you use Torrents, Linux is the way to go.

branewalkerI'd give Microsoft the benefit on gaming, but media playback is a wash, especially with MS incorporating new DRM in its operating systems starting with Vista. Windows almost always requires a codec pack, and without 3rd-party software, it's not easy to tell which codecs are installed and which are not. In Ubuntu at least (probably one of the more media-friendly distros) just add Medibuntu repositories, and you're good to go. Adding repositories could be more straightforward, but it's by no means "hard."Other than gaming, the only thing keeping me on Windows is Adobe Creative Suite. I can't build and customize my rig if I go Mac, and that's the only other platform Adobe supports.As for hardware, I've had more hardware troubles with Windows than with Linux. XP still won't find my Brother wireless laser printer. Ubuntu was happy to install it on both my desktop and laptop without complaint. Maybe that speaks more of Brother than of Microsoft, though. I'm not sure.

Agreed. It's NOT hard to run Linux any more. With Yast2,etc the days of dependency hell are usually solved. I mainly use Linux for every day stuff now, only use Windows for gaming, CS4, SolidWorks,Inventor. And yes, I do run Windows 7 x64 and Vista x64 and XP x64.

doomtombThe only reason Linux is still afloat is because it is free.

Again, wrong. Linux has much better security and low over head. Why do you think most web servers run LAMP? And FIY Linux does cost quite a bit to deploy on the cooperate scale yet people still do it due to the benefit.

September 9, 2009 12:19:10 AM

rooketscreen shot looks true enough to me. I don't think wine is part of linux. It may be included in some distributions but it afaik is not built into the kernel.

That's a moot point. Skype or AIM are also not part of the Windows kernel.

Also I lack knowledge of the other features but I would assume that limited on all that stuff is true. They aren't saying not supported for multimedia, just limited. Meaning that there are programs just not as many as for Windows which more than likely is true.When I go to a popular download site such as download.com and search for software, the majority of the results are windows based.

No, most of those claims are flat-out lies. No authorized support for Linux? Tell that to Canonical, Novell, or Red Hat. Driver support goes both ways, too. My HP LaserJet 1012 worked out-of-the-box on Linux. On Vista? I couldn't get it to work for over a year until finally HP decided to release a driver. There are lots of older devices which vendors don't support under Vista/7 but Linux compatibility is provided by the kernel or by standard, open-source drivers.

hence why it generally makes little sense to go out and buy a mac and rely entirely on mac osx (which is a modified beos, a type of unix). And yeah I know you can google for linux software. You guys writing this article think that most Windows/mac osx users would be able to install all the hardware and software they want? Think again, linux is not a newbie o/s and most people aren't going to put the effort in all the training involved in setting up linux.

Again, I disagree. I've set up a dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu for my parents. It turns out my mostly computer-illiterate parents CHOOSE to use Linux for many tasks since they find it simpler.
September 9, 2009 12:55:39 AM

AMDnoobdoes anyone here use Windows Live Essentials?

I had to look it up to see what it even was.
September 9, 2009 1:24:08 AM

rookethence why it generally makes little sense to go out and buy a mac and rely entirely on mac osx (which is a modified beos, a type of unix). And yeah I know you can google for linux software.

OSX is not based off of BeOS, it is based off of NeXTSTEP. NeXT was the company Steve Jobs co-founded after he left Apple, that was later bought by Apple instead of Be. Also, BeOS isn't even a type of Unix, NeXTSTEP was based off of Unix. Anyway, there are plenty of sites with Apple freeware and hardly anyone would Google for Linux software, that is what package managers are for.
September 9, 2009 1:29:39 AM

rooketscreen shot looks true enough to me. I don't think wine is part of linux. It may be included in some distributions but it afaik is not built into the kernel. Also I lack knowledge of the other features but I would assume that limited on all that stuff is true. They aren't saying not supported for multimedia, just limited. Meaning that there are programs just not as many as for Windows which more than likely is true.When I go to a popular download site such as download.com and search for software, the majority of the results are windows based. hence why it generally makes little sense to go out and buy a mac and rely entirely on mac osx (which is a modified beos, a type of unix). And yeah I know you can google for linux software. You guys writing this article think that most Windows/mac osx users would be able to install all the hardware and software they want? Think again, linux is not a newbie o/s and most people aren't going to put the effort in all the training involved in setting up linux. At least M$ isn't going on here claiming that win7 is a better solution than linux for use as a server o/s so I don't really see much point in why this article was written.

Is that a joke? You bet the majority will be for windows, Download.com has been a bloat ware site for Shareware based applications for which alternatives could be found (Most of the time) on http://sourceforge.net/. God, I found about download.com a long time after I first found sourceforge.net. Some one needs to learn how to use his internet in a better way.
a b 5 Linux
September 9, 2009 1:52:38 AM

There is probably more software for Linux than windows if you count the small projects.

Who would even expect Windows Live Essentials to work on Linux? It's a GOOD thing it doesn't work on Linux because it's a load of crapware anyway and there are much better GPL programs.

Linux does not have a lack of support for games, the games have a lack of support for Linux. The problem is the reverse of what the slide says. Wine is not Linux support. Wine is Windows libraries on Linux.

As for Authorised support, that's a load of rubbish. there are several commercial distributions with full support. Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Enterprise Linux come to mind.
September 9, 2009 2:04:38 AM

Yes you can just run so many bloated windows applications on that netbook. Of course trying to use that running program is gonna be another story :D . Anyway I find it hard to imagine any netbook running WoW (much less any modern game) at any reasonable speed. As for the Windows Live Essentials bit, I can't imagine actually worrying about that when most default installs of Linux have much better alternatives.

Just so many things wrong with that training, ack, bull shit meter exploding (must be an iPhone App). As for the quip about different versions of Linux just how many different versions of Win7 do they plan to put out? As a web developer I'm pretty tied to Adobe Creative Suite more than is good for me. I've tried to wine it, but too many small annoyances really. Well that and games keep me glued to Windows more than Linux :D .
September 9, 2009 2:05:39 AM

I don't see what the fuss is.

Windows live essentials is a windows only option.

Windows does support video on ALL major IM programs and linux doesn't (this isn't to say linux doesn't support it it just doesn't support all of them)

Windows runs just about every game natively without emulation and linux doesn't.

Most linux distro's use communities to provide support rather than a formal support regime and those that do exist have been pretty limited in my experience.

Hardware support for windows is by far better than linux. Ever had a device that wouldn't work in any version of Windows? I don't think so.

So is this really some big lie being spread? Because the only potential point of contention I can really see is the authorised support sections.
a b 5 Linux
September 9, 2009 2:23:22 AM

kato128I don't see what the fuss is.Windows live essentials is a windows only option.
As it should be. It's not exactly a reason why Windows 7 is better though. It's like saying Windows is better because it has a Start button.

kato128Windows does support video on ALL major IM programs and linux doesn't (this isn't to say linux doesn't support it it just doesn't support all of them)
This is quite true. Although you'd probably be using Skype for most video calls anyway.

kato128Windows runs just about every game natively without emulation and linux doesn't.

This is not a reason why Windows is better than Linux per se. Linux is not the problem, the game developers and publishers are the problem. Of course, to the end user it looks like a Linux problem and Microsoft is preying on that ignorance here.

kato128Most linux distro's use communities to provide support rather than a formal support regime and those that do exist have been pretty limited in my experience.

If you don't pay for the software then nobody is obligated to provide support. It's completely logical. If you want support you have to pay, whether that be commercial Linux distributions or Windows (or OSX for that matter).

kato128Hardware support for windows is by far better than linux.

That is debatable. For some devices, like wireless hardware, this is certainly true. For other devices, particularly very old ones, windows no longer has support. Windows 7 has almost completely dropped support for my 6-year-old printer.

kato128So is this really some big lie being spread? Because the only potential point of contention I can really see is the authorised support sections.
It is more an issue of twisting the facts than blatant lies. Many points are true in select situations but Microsoft are proclaiming them as global fact.

Look at the other slides as well. http://quaoar.ww7.be/ms_fud_of_the_year/569458-microsof...
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2009 2:58:28 AM

Of course Windows is better. I've tried Windows, Ubuntu, MacOSX(Hackintosh) and have 4 OS on my PC at one time. I've never used a MAC OSX in my life, but after 1 week, i totally fall in love with it.

As for UBUNTU, i've tried to like it and use it for a few months. In the end, the trouble is far more than what it's worth. It's hardly user friendly, looks crap and slower than a MAC OSX.

Eventually i throw it out of my PC forever. Linux really does suck. And i'm a techie. I can see why the average consumer just won't touch it.
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2009 2:58:51 AM

[/citation]Again, wrong. Linux has much better security and low over head. Why do you think most web servers run LAMP? And FIY Linux does cost quite a bit to deploy on the cooperate scale yet people still do it due to the benefit.[/citation]

please explain to the class why its better to use it for everyday use. everyday you get roadblocks from webpages that use windows media player for links to videos, for internet when you have to install plugins you have to run complex scripts which can take god knows how long vs windows where it is just one install package. then there is office where microsoft office is used by 99% of the work and education world and with openoffice being free its not 100% reliable when it comes with compatibility. so your the one who is wrong and keeps clutching on to his free copy of ubuntu that you had to spend 5.99 to get in the mail

linux is only for everyday use for hackers and the hardcore nerds which is why viruses are not popular on linux.
September 9, 2009 3:08:25 AM

@Randomizer: Yeah I see your point there. It looks like it's a tricky use of context. So while nothing is completely untrue it's not completely honest either and taking it as a global truth could be very misleading. Basically this kind of thing highlights the old adage "buyer beware".
a b 5 Linux
September 9, 2009 3:09:27 AM

More people who think Linux = Ubuntu. :sarcastic:  :lol: 
a b 5 Linux
September 9, 2009 3:11:22 AM

kato128@Randomizer: Yeah I see your point there. It looks like it's a tricky use of context. So while nothing is completely untrue it's not completely honest either and taking it as a global truth could be very misleading. Basically this kind of thing highlights the old adage "buyer beware".

Microsoft is a corporation. You have to expect their marketing team to do this as that's what they're paid to do - persuade the buyer in any way possible.
September 9, 2009 3:14:53 AM

I love Linux for work, it's ultra fast and very flexible in the right hands. My work desktop is as customizable as any, shinier and prettier than Win7 with tons of usability and all my options are always available to me.

But, let's face it. For usability, the popular OS wins (unfortunately), and I run Vista at home for my laptop and desktop. The reasons are getting less and less to do so, and I'm sure people can get me alternatives on some level for all of the apps I use.

Yes, Linux works great for older hardware and at work where you use standardized workstation platforms (we use Dell Precisions) but newer proprietary ones like laptops? It sucks, seriously. This has more to do with the manufacturer for not providing good drivers or open sourcing the ones they have but it still sucks to deal with.

For my desktop, my only real excuse is gaming. With modern games these days flakey out of the box, do I want to wrap it into Wine? No. Sure given enough time, I can tweak a majority of my games to work - but that's it, time. At work, it's my job to tweak things, make it work, utilize the stability of Linux for uptime etc. But at home? Is your time that cheap?

Don't get me wrong, I still use it for my home NAS, and I dual boot it on my desktop. But driver issues, game and application compatibility is holding it back.

I agree with one commenter that manufacturers are very slow or simply not updating drivers for their older devices. I personally had two that had to go - my HP Laserjet 1000 and surprisingly my microsft webcam :p 
September 9, 2009 3:58:11 AM

Cant be any worse than the bull sh** the apple guy in the BestBuy store was trying to convince me of. A couple weeks ago looking at laptops and he came over and tried to convince me to buy a mac. Bad idea I'll try to make this quick.
He wanted me to buy a 13inch macbook pro over a dell studio 14z 700bucks.
I told him if i went online i could get the dell studio 14z better spected with a higher resolution what I think is really important for under a grand. He moved on about the superiority of OSX. I told him the win 7 rc was running pretty good and I really thought the gui was a little better cause its pretty much stolen and modded from OSX anyway. Somewhere allong the way he went on to say that the CPU on windows ran at 20%-40% at idle and on OSX it ran at 0%.
Moving on to desktops cause I was like I cant build my own pc he was saying that an E8200 in the imac was better than an E8200 in a windows machine. The cpu was built different and therefore better ie faster than a pc with the same E8200. He also tried to convince me that having 2 gb of DDR3 would beat 4gb of ddr2 hands down. I have nothing against apple just that their computers aren't right for me personally and I might not big on their advertising. I could go on with this guy.
Anyway I don't think anything microsoft over linux has done can top apples umm I am the best thing in world and will say anything to convice you of that tactic.
September 9, 2009 4:46:27 AM

what a joke this artikle is LOL
don't believe it at all.
no mp3 support ? my butt. anything portable i connected, it worked perfect, even my cell phone carrier's usb modem that NEEDED drivers for windows.
no camera support ? my 4ss. every camera is supported i connected till this day (sony, fuji, canon, nikon, ... )
no printers ? i guess how many printer drivers are natively in windows. for everything you need to search the net... even for video drivers. what a shame. with ubuntu a single click, and jockey will install it without an extra click or whatever.
software compatibility. what is the goal of linux use ? use of windows software ? that's not. if so, use MICROSOFT, not linux based OS.
windows live messenger ? then what is emesene ? install with a single click, it's on ubuntu's multiverse, or get ubuntu tweak, and a single click will install it. don't need to search the net for it.
games. linux isn't for games, but if your a game fan, then wine, cedega, crossover will do the trick for most games (wow works with cedega VERY GOOD)
authorized support for what ? there are a lot of forums where you can get help, a lot better than microsoft help for free.
video chat ? most of webcamera drivers are already installed in the 2.6 kernels, get a linux based chat protocoll and you get webcam.

i think THIS artikle is a propaganda, M$ paind tom$hardware to advertise M$

September 9, 2009 4:46:44 AM

what a joke this artikle is LOL
don't believe it at all.
no mp3 support ? my butt. anything portable i connected, it worked perfect, even my cell phone carrier's usb modem that NEEDED drivers for windows.
no camera support ? my 4ss. every camera is supported i connected till this day (sony, fuji, canon, nikon, ... )
no printers ? i guess how many printer drivers are natively in windows. for everything you need to search the net... even for video drivers. what a shame. with ubuntu a single click, and jockey will install it without an extra click or whatever.
software compatibility. what is the goal of linux use ? use of windows software ? that's not. if so, use MICROSOFT, not linux based OS.
windows live messenger ? then what is emesene ? install with a single click, it's on ubuntu's multiverse, or get ubuntu tweak, and a single click will install it. don't need to search the net for it.
games. linux isn't for games, but if your a game fan, then wine, cedega, crossover will do the trick for most games (wow works with cedega VERY GOOD)
authorized support for what ? there are a lot of forums where you can get help, a lot better than microsoft help for free.
video chat ? most of webcamera drivers are already installed in the 2.6 kernels, get a linux based chat protocoll and you get webcam.

i think THIS artikle is a propaganda, M$ paind tom$hardware to advertise M$

September 9, 2009 5:33:42 AM

This is mainly just a marketing campaign, except it's not targeted at customers but at middle-men like Best Buy employees.
The "security" thing gave me a laugh, and they also claimed it wasn't clear whether Linux updated critical vulnerabilities quickly or not, or that it was harder to install programs and updates. I have a hard time believing that even the marketing peeps at MS have never heard of a package manager, so that much is just straight up bullshit.

I skipped Vista in favor of Ubuntu, back when Vista was having its toothing problems. I'll probably get Windows 7 and dual-boot for my next desktop build.
Though if my current Ubuntut/XP laptop is any indication even Windows 7 might not get much love.
September 9, 2009 5:36:50 AM

randomizerLinux does not have a lack of support for games, the games have a lack of support for Linux. The problem is the reverse of what the slide says. citation]

Actualy its both.. Linux isnt a single OS linux isnt unified. linux can support things from one distro and not support things from another. On the other hand. Why even attempt to make a game for a platform that has 1 in probly 10,000 people using it. Ill even bet its a smaller number then that but still. Why make a game period for OPENGL Now dont get me wrong i preffer opengl from the old days over directx. but hell they cant even get any good options in that api anymore. bring it up to speed.

I totaly agree if linux wasnt free it would have likely been forgotten. The coperate deplyment argument is irrelavent. they use all kinds of os's no ones even heard of let alone suitable for the end user.

Im not anti linux im just anti bullshit. Want native run games on linux? get all these open source freeware idiots off thier ass's and standardise thier software. and do something to get support other then "we are the tree hugging hippy retards that make better things for the consumer because we arent greedy corperate money mongering capitalists." people dont care about that hippy shit. the only way they will get the support is to push for it not expect people to give a damn about them cuz they are "open source" or "better".
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2009 6:48:22 AM

"First the ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

- Gandhi

With respect to GNU/Linux, I guess Microsoft has just reached stage 3.
a b 5 Linux
September 9, 2009 7:40:40 AM

t85usi think THIS artikle is a propaganda, M$ paind tom$hardware to advertise M$

This article isn't even promoting what Microsoft said, it's just reporting on it. You fail at reading comprehension, just as you fail at spelling.

EnFoRceR22Linux isnt a single OS linux isnt unified.

Linux is a single, frequently updated kernel. There is only one Linux, but newer and older versions of it.

EnFoRceR22linux can support things from one distro and not support things from another.

Anything that can be compiled into the kernel, whether by the user, the distribution maintainers or the kernel developers can be supported in all distributions. There is no such thing as one distribution supporting more than another because at the core they are all the same.

EnFoRceR22Why even attempt to make a game for a platform that has 1 in probly 10,000 people using it. Ill even bet its a smaller number then that but still.
Very fair point, and I totally agree. It isn't financially viable to do so. This is not a flaw in Linux however, nor is it a superior "feature" of Windows.

EnFoRceR22they use all kinds of os's no ones even heard of let alone suitable for the end user.

That depends on what computers you're talking about. Desktop workstations mostly run Windows 2000/XP, while the servers mostly run UNIX-like flavours such as Linux and *BSD.

EnFoRceR22Want native run games on linux? get all these open source freeware idiots off thier ass's and standardise thier software. and do something to get support other then "we are the tree hugging hippy retards that make better things for the consumer because we arent greedy corperate money mongering capitalists."

You don't understand the concept of open source. Linux is not about free beer, it is free as in freedom (yes, very overused phrase I know but that's what it is). The lack of cost is a bonus. But the point of open source is to remove the need for lock-in propriety stuff, DRM and lack of community involvement. Open source is all about the community and freedom. You can change the software in any way you like to suit you, not wait until the development company thinks it knows what suits you. If there's a bug in the program, YOU can fix it, not wait for 6 months until a patch comes out. Of course most people can't compile their own programs, let alone fix up bugs in source code, but that's not the point. When you use open source software you acknowledge the fact that the developers don't owe you anything and don't have to provide support (they may, although it is usually community-based support). Microsoft owes you support because you paid for it.

With regards to standardisation, that would destroy the point of having multiple distributions. They exist because many are based on certain philosophies with regards to propriety software. If you want out of the box support for DVDs for example, you wouldn't pick Debian because that's against their philosophy. Linux Mint on the other hand supports it. It's your responsibility to do research into what software suits your needs. If you need CUDA support you don't buy an ATI card. If you need propriety media codecs out of the box you don't get Debian or Ubuntu. Of course these can all be installed on any distribution.

Remember the most important thing. Linux is not Windows. If you need to run Windows software then don't complain when it doesn't work on Linux because you're missing the point. No Apple user complains when iWork doesn't run on Windows. If you need Windows, use Windows. Also, you can't ever expect Linux to behave like Windows because, again, it is not Windows. Don't like it? Don't use it.

The argument that Linux will never be mainstream is quite a pointless one. Linux doesn't need to be mainstream, nor is it trying to be mainstream. The Kernel developers have no need to gain market share, that is what Apple and Microsoft are doing.
September 9, 2009 7:51:36 AM

World of Warcraft has native support for linux (it has D3D7/8/9 and OpenGL options) you only need WINE if you want to run it in D3D mode

I dont mind MS twisting the truth, all companies do that, but flat out lying? i hate linux but these tactics sadden me
September 9, 2009 8:11:57 AM

The reason there isn't much gaming on Linux is a licensing / standardization one. Basically most game developers are on a VERY tight schedule to produce a product. For them time = money and there is precious little of either available. Windows which is used in the upper 90% of home systems supports DirectX right outside the box. For a game to even have a chance at being successful (and thus making money for its investors) it MUST support Windows (which usually means DirectX). To date there is NO native Linux binaries for Direct X, no library's or source code to recompile. This means a gaming company would have to support the dated OpenGL language. And by dated I mean the working group can't settle their own minds and release a standardized version, so we must all keep using extensions and OpenGL 2.1.

For gaming companies it's just not financially viable to spend time/money creating / testing / supporting their product on a platform with such a wide configuration base as linux has. Coupled with having to build the GFX engine for OpenGL along with DirectX and that cause's even more issues.

And before the linux-nazi's jump in, please realize that I'm a systems engineer and do most of my work on Solaris. I even have a maxed out SunBlade 2000 (although its a bit old now) at the house that I use for various projects. But my biggest $$$ expenditure is my gaming rig, which currently runs WinXP x64 (won't touch Vista x64 with a 10 foot pole), and thus is what really matters for my free time.
September 9, 2009 8:22:51 AM

Dunno why they are taking a stab at something free. They should compare it to other pay-for software.
September 9, 2009 8:31:00 AM

You forgot one thing to add to that graph : Linux is FREE !!!!

useless article again ...
September 9, 2009 8:33:28 AM

amnotanoobieDunno why they are taking a stab at something free. They should compare it to other pay-for software.

Because that free thing is their competition on netbooks ... They are not taking a stab, it's not a cheap shot at Linux, the facts are actually true for the vast majority of users (except those tech savvy, those that are able to make WoW run in Wine).

September 9, 2009 10:29:59 AM

they doo this because they are afraid, more and more users are coming to linux, and all of that is just lays windows users did you ever see compiz or kwin?
September 9, 2009 10:30:52 AM

CiuyYou forgot one thing to add to that graph : Linux is FREE !!!!useless article again ...

Dog shit is free too, but you don't see millions of people rushing to get their hands on it.
September 9, 2009 10:45:54 AM

Interesting...
September 9, 2009 10:47:38 AM

In the small picture if you look at what is written it looks like this:
Windows Linux
Money Free
September 9, 2009 10:55:01 AM

Also, statement that games don't run on Linux is perfectly valid.

For example, I cannot play Atari games on Windows, not directly, I have to go through a convoluted process of using an emulator.

Why is this any differant than Linux having to use WINE? Linux doesn't run the game, WINE does.
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2009 10:59:23 AM

using ubuntu with amsn for videochat over the msn network while listening music from my ipod...
Watched a heavily protected dvd on my 21" screen (my tv is smaller; windows cannot read the dvd).
My scanner is too old to be supported by windows and my videocard overheats in windows when playing Neverwinter Nights.
Neverwinter nights runs on Linux without Wine.
I can read almost any office document with OpenOffice or KOffice and my desktop looks exactly like a fresh Vista install with Aero.

Linux detects when my mouse battery runs flat and gives a warning at 10% remaining. That should work on windows, but it does not.

I have no need of antivirus software and I can open any picture in any email.

the media buttons on my keyboard work out of the box. Windows needs a driver.
I set up my box within 3 hours including software and customization.
Windows took me 3 hours just to get the OS in place and *most* of the drivers... sound still does not work...

But see what I do here: I compare with Ubuntu. very specific.
What they do is compare (specefic) Windows 7 to (not specific) Linux.

They can easily try to compare Slackware or LinuxFromScratch to Windows 7 and win without showing a single sheet.

So I can easily say that Ubuntu 9.04 is waaaay better than Windows 3.0

No shit Sherlock...
September 9, 2009 11:06:04 AM

ChasalinNeverwinter nights runs on Linux without Wine.citation]

Would this fall under the category of "games that people actually want to play".

Try some of this list, do any of these games run natively in Linux without WINE, or even with WINE do they run at all?

Battlefield 2
Bioshock
C&C 3 Tiberium Wars
C&C Red Alert 3
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Call Of Duty 4
Call Of Duty World At War
Counterstrike Source
Dawn Of War
Dead Space
Devil May Cry 4
Fallout 3
GRAW 2
GTA 4
Guild Wars
Half Life 2
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Rainbow 6 Vegas
Spore
Timeshift
Unreal 2004
Unreal Tournament 3

Not being an arse, I actually want an answer to this question! If someone can provide me with compelling evidence, (actual, not anecdotal) I may consider switching.
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2009 11:34:26 AM

most of those games require directX so since Linux has no way to get DirectX besides WINE then no
a b 5 Linux
September 9, 2009 12:32:18 PM

And Wine is hit and miss without tweaking. Some versions work almost flawlessly, others are rubbish, and it will be different for every program. As I said before, if you want to run Windows programs alot then use Windows, otherwise consider switching to native Linux software (which means stop playing games) or dual boot. Don't try and make Linux behave like Windows as you will only frustrate yourself and blame Linux when it's a case of PEBKAC.
September 9, 2009 1:42:10 PM

It's funny that a lot of people say that Linux isn't for the average user. Tbh most people I know that i would consider "average users" use the computer as nothing more than a word processor and web browser. Add a few shortcuts on their desktops and they have no problem using a Linux box.

I'm not here to debate the security of window/linux but i'll say this: I get far less headaches from "average users" using a linux machine compared to a windows machine. One may be no more secure than the other but at least when you're using a linux machine you're less of a target. I have to clean friends/families windows machines on a regular basis. The amount of spyware/virus' out there for windows machines is just insane.
September 9, 2009 1:45:41 PM

So that pretty much answers my question, for a games enthusiast who doesn't want to be restricted by a console resolutions, (I can push out a healthy 2560 x 1920), I want to put the disk in my machine or download it direct via Steam, and run it. Linux wont do this for me. I have to get an extra piece of software called WINE which doesn't always work, no professional support and seems likely not to do so for the games that most people want to actually play.
QED
Linux is no good for gaming.

Banging on about WINE is the same as a Windows user saying they can play Gauntlet for the Atari, when clearly they can't unless they use an emulator.

The statement about iPod support is again perfectly valid. People have been known to use an iPod on Linux, you will notice on the graphic the slider is set low, not off, so that indicates intermittant support. Maybe it will, maybe it wont. At least with a Windows machine you run iTunes and it works first time every time.

The software support, well, lets get this right, this is a sales training article. Mr & Mrs Joe Public are in Best Buy and they have just decided on that shiny new Linux PC, then Joe moves to the software aisle and asks about MS Office. What exactly is the salesman going to say? "Sure thing, no problems, just load it up and start writing letters"

Bull.
!