  • Registry
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 20, 2005 12:11:28 AM

As soon as my desk top appears, I get two messages. The first says that
"windows cannot find "(four square symbolls)". Make sure you typed the
name correctly and then try again. The second says "could not load or
run "(four square symbols)" specified in the registry. Make sure the
file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the
registry.
I need to get rid of these.

--
caneiac

More about : unwanted search start

July 20, 2005 12:11:29 AM

"caneiac" wrote:

> As soon as my desk top appears, I get two messages. The first says that
> "windows cannot find "(four square symbolls)". Make sure you typed the
> name correctly and then try again. The second says "could not load or
> run "(four square symbols)" specified in the registry. Make sure the
> file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the
> registry.
> I need to get rid of these.
>

> --
> caneiac

July 20, 2005 12:11:29 AM

There was probally something that was uninstalled improperly. To get rid of
the errors on start up run the configuration utility (start > run >
msconfig > ok) click on the START UP tab and uncheck anything that you don't
recognize or don't want to start up when the computer boots up. This does
not remove the program from you computer so you may want to check out the the
file location listed there to make sure that the program is also deleted. If
that does not work for you, look in the start up folder in the start menu and
remove anything not recognized there as well. One more idea, a good
spyware removal too may help as well.

"caneiac" wrote:

> As soon as my desk top appears, I get two messages. The first says that
> "windows cannot find "(four square symbolls)". Make sure you typed the
> name correctly and then try again. The second says "could not load or
> run "(four square symbols)" specified in the registry. Make sure the
> file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the
> registry.
> I need to get rid of these.
>

> --
> caneiac

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:48:18 PM

How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org