Certain icons have changed

July 20, 2005 3:29:18 AM

Not only on my desktop, but everywhere, except for the executable file
itself in the program folder. Certain icons have changed to a default
kind of icon, the one Windows uses if it doesn't know the extension.
The programs will start fine, the problem seems to be only with the
icons. The entire Office suite has changed as well as Windows Media
Player and several non Microsoft programs.

I have tried TweakUI without success. I have tried deleting
iconcache.db and rebooting, several times, without success. I have
increased the icon cace using regedit without success. I am tired and
upset.

--
danielmanis

More about : icons changed

July 21, 2005 5:56:38 AM

All,

I noticed the post below, and I'm having a similar problem. With my
computer, though, the problem is restricted just to .html and .htm files.
Internet shortcuts still show the IE icon, but any actual .html files have
the generic icon that Windows using when it doesn't recognize the extension.
The files still work fine, though.

Any clues as to what the problem is? I installed demo versions of some
Macromedia products around the time the icons changed, so that's a possible
cause, but it seems strange. I did a system restore to a few days ago, and
everything was fine afterward, until I rebooted the system again, and the
problem was still there.

I seem to remember experiencing a problem like this in the distant past, but
I can't remember how I solved it. Any thoughts?

Thanks much,
Mike

"danielmanis" <danielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
news:D anielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net...

> Not only on my desktop, but everywhere, except for the executable file
> itself in the program folder. Certain icons have changed to a default
> kind of icon, the one Windows uses if it doesn't know the extension.
> The programs will start fine, the problem seems to be only with the
> icons. The entire Office suite has changed as well as Windows Media
> Player and several non Microsoft programs.
>
> I have tried TweakUI without success. I have tried deleting
> iconcache.db and rebooting, several times, without success. I have
> increased the icon cace using regedit without success. I am tired and
> upset.
>

> --
> danielmanis
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:31:06 PM

Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for HTM and HTML files:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/htmicon.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I noticed the post below, and I'm having a similar problem. With my
> computer, though, the problem is restricted just to .html and .htm files.
> Internet shortcuts still show the IE icon, but any actual .html files have
> the generic icon that Windows using when it doesn't recognize the
> extension. The files still work fine, though.
>
> Any clues as to what the problem is? I installed demo versions of some
> Macromedia products around the time the icons changed, so that's a
> possible cause, but it seems strange. I did a system restore to a few days
> ago, and everything was fine afterward, until I rebooted the system again,
> and the problem was still there.
>
> I seem to remember experiencing a problem like this in the distant past,
> but I can't remember how I solved it. Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks much,
> Mike
>

> "danielmanis" <danielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> news:D anielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net...
>>
>> Not only on my desktop, but everywhere, except for the executable file
>> itself in the program folder. Certain icons have changed to a default
>> kind of icon, the one Windows uses if it doesn't know the extension.
>> The programs will start fine, the problem seems to be only with the
>> icons. The entire Office suite has changed as well as Windows Media
>> Player and several non Microsoft programs.
>>
>> I have tried TweakUI without success. I have tried deleting
>> iconcache.db and rebooting, several times, without success. I have
>> increased the icon cace using regedit without success. I am tired and
>> upset.
>>

>> --
>> danielmanis

Related resources
July 22, 2005 7:30:33 AM

Cool, thanks much.

news:o NA5LjajFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for HTM and HTML files:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/htmicon.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I noticed the post below, and I'm having a similar problem. With my
>> computer, though, the problem is restricted just to .html and .htm files.
>> Internet shortcuts still show the IE icon, but any actual .html files
>> have the generic icon that Windows using when it doesn't recognize the
>> extension. The files still work fine, though.
>>
>> Any clues as to what the problem is? I installed demo versions of some
>> Macromedia products around the time the icons changed, so that's a
>> possible cause, but it seems strange. I did a system restore to a few
>> days ago, and everything was fine afterward, until I rebooted the system
>> again, and the problem was still there.
>>
>> I seem to remember experiencing a problem like this in the distant past,
>> but I can't remember how I solved it. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks much,
>> Mike
>>

>> "danielmanis" <danielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>> news:D anielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net...
>>>
>>> Not only on my desktop, but everywhere, except for the executable file
>>> itself in the program folder. Certain icons have changed to a default
>>> kind of icon, the one Windows uses if it doesn't know the extension.
>>> The programs will start fine, the problem seems to be only with the
>>> icons. The entire Office suite has changed as well as Windows Media
>>> Player and several non Microsoft programs.
>>>
>>> I have tried TweakUI without success. I have tried deleting
>>> iconcache.db and rebooting, several times, without success. I have
>>> increased the icon cace using regedit without success. I am tired and
>>> upset.
>>>

>>> --
>>> danielmanis

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:34:25 PM

You're welcome.

--

> Cool, thanks much.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o NA5LjajFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for HTM and HTML files:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/htmicon.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> All,

July 23, 2005 5:19:04 AM

Um...OK, what if that doesn't work? I followed the procedures and removed
the appropriate key, reset web settings, etc., but no good. Any other
suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

news:o NA5LjajFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for HTM and HTML files:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/htmicon.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I noticed the post below, and I'm having a similar problem. With my
>> computer, though, the problem is restricted just to .html and .htm files.
>> Internet shortcuts still show the IE icon, but any actual .html files
>> have the generic icon that Windows using when it doesn't recognize the
>> extension. The files still work fine, though.
>>
>> Any clues as to what the problem is? I installed demo versions of some
>> Macromedia products around the time the icons changed, so that's a
>> possible cause, but it seems strange. I did a system restore to a few
>> days ago, and everything was fine afterward, until I rebooted the system
>> again, and the problem was still there.
>>
>> I seem to remember experiencing a problem like this in the distant past,
>> but I can't remember how I solved it. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks much,
>> Mike
>>

>> "danielmanis" <danielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>> news:D anielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net...
>>>
>>> Not only on my desktop, but everywhere, except for the executable file
>>> itself in the program folder. Certain icons have changed to a default
>>> kind of icon, the one Windows uses if it doesn't know the extension.
>>> The programs will start fine, the problem seems to be only with the
>>> icons. The entire Office suite has changed as well as Windows Media
>>> Player and several non Microsoft programs.
>>>
>>> I have tried TweakUI without success. I have tried deleting
>>> iconcache.db and rebooting, several times, without success. I have
>>> increased the icon cace using regedit without success. I am tired and
>>> upset.
>>>

>>> --
>>> danielmanis

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:17:40 PM

Mike,

Type this in Start-Run:

CMD /K ASSOC .HTM
CMD /K ASSOC .HTML

What's shown in the output?

--

> Um...OK, what if that doesn't work? I followed the procedures and removed
> the appropriate key, reset web settings, etc., but no good. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o NA5LjajFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for HTM and HTML files:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/htmicon.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I noticed the post below, and I'm having a similar problem. With my
>>> computer, though, the problem is restricted just to .html and .htm
>>> files. Internet shortcuts still show the IE icon, but any actual .html
>>> files have the generic icon that Windows using when it doesn't recognize
>>> the extension. The files still work fine, though.
>>>
>>> Any clues as to what the problem is? I installed demo versions of some
>>> Macromedia products around the time the icons changed, so that's a
>>> possible cause, but it seems strange. I did a system restore to a few
>>> days ago, and everything was fine afterward, until I rebooted the system
>>> again, and the problem was still there.
>>>
>>> I seem to remember experiencing a problem like this in the distant past,
>>> but I can't remember how I solved it. Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks much,
>>> Mike
>>>

>>> "danielmanis" <danielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>> news:D anielmanis.1sfx1r@pcbanter.net...

July 23, 2005 4:57:46 PM

I get the following:

..HTM=htmlfile
..HTML=htmlfile

Mike

news:o jxheG0jFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Mike,
>
> Type this in Start-Run:
>
> CMD /K ASSOC .HTM
> CMD /K ASSOC .HTML
>
> What's shown in the output?
>

> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Um...OK, what if that doesn't work? I followed the procedures and removed
>> the appropriate key, reset web settings, etc., but no good. Any other
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o NA5LjajFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for HTM and HTML files:
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/htmicon.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:41:48 PM

Double-check if you have the IconHandler key under "htmlfile" in both these
locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ ShellEx \ IconHandler
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ ShellEx \ IconHandler

The 1st one may not exist by default, but application would add entries
there.

If that does not help, try a Icon repair using Tweak UI.

--

>I get the following:
>
> .HTM=htmlfile
> .HTML=htmlfile
>
> Mike
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o jxheG0jFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Mike,
>>
>> Type this in Start-Run:
>>
>> CMD /K ASSOC .HTM
>> CMD /K ASSOC .HTML
>>
>> What's shown in the output?
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Um...OK, what if that doesn't work? I followed the procedures and
>>> removed the appropriate key, reset web settings, etc., but no good. Any
>>> other suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> news:o NA5LjajFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

July 23, 2005 10:41:49 PM

The first one didn't have an htmlfile folder, but I found the second one and
deleted it. No good, though, unfortunately.

Also, I noticed that the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE both had a
"defaulticon" entry under htmlfile. I deleted both as a test, but that just
served to change the icon to the ones used for Notepad.

I'll try the Tweak UI strategy. Thanks much for the help.

Mike

> Double-check if you have the IconHandler key under "htmlfile" in both
> these locations:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ ShellEx \ IconHandler
> and
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ ShellEx \ IconHandler
>
> The 1st one may not exist by default, but application would add entries
> there.
>
> If that does not help, try a Icon repair using Tweak UI.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I get the following:
>>
>> .HTM=htmlfile
>> .HTML=htmlfile
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o jxheG0jFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> Type this in Start-Run:
>>>
>>> CMD /K ASSOC .HTM
>>> CMD /K ASSOC .HTML
>>>
>>> What's shown in the output?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message

July 23, 2005 10:41:50 PM

Actually, Tweak UI didn't work, either. Argh. I did a system restore back to
last week, though, and that seems to have worked, at least for the time
being...

Thanks,
Mike

> The first one didn't have an htmlfile folder, but I found the second one
> and deleted it. No good, though, unfortunately.
>
> Also, I noticed that the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE both had
> a "defaulticon" entry under htmlfile. I deleted both as a test, but that
> just served to change the icon to the ones used for Notepad.
>
> I'll try the Tweak UI strategy. Thanks much for the help.
>
> Mike
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Double-check if you have the IconHandler key under "htmlfile" in both
>> these locations:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ ShellEx \ IconHandler
>> and
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ ShellEx \
>> IconHandler
>>
>> The 1st one may not exist by default, but application would add entries
>> there.
>>
>> If that does not help, try a Icon repair using Tweak UI.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Michael" <screenaccount@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I get the following:
>>>
>>> .HTM=htmlfile
>>> .HTML=htmlfile
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> news:o jxheG0jFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 12:50:03 AM

You're welcome Mike. Deleting the "IconHandler" was already suggested by me
(in htmicon.htm link that I posted).

--

!