Problem reinstalling XP Pro on recently rebuilt PC

I'm trying to help my brother. He had a friend do some major hardware
upgrades to his pc, new motherboard (AMD 64?) CD/DVD. The copy of XP he gave
her to install was corrupted (!?), so she installed XP for him.

The problems noted were inability to set up a printer driver - when clicking
on Add New Printer, got error message that it couldn't be done. Wasn't saving
network connections, I couldn't find basic Windows system tools, such as
Backup, Disk Cleanup, System Restore. Also, couldn't download Windows
updates. I used some troubleshooting technicques that I found on this
newsgroup. In that process, I realized that BITS wasn't on his pc either.

At that point I suspected that his windows install must be a problem. I work
for a software developer and am totally not into pirated software, so I
insisted he buy a new copy of WinXP PRO. I've just tried installing that
(Upgrade mode, as recommended).

It appeared to be going fine, then during one of the times that Windows
reboots the machine, it went into a loop. When it gets to the Windows startup
screen it immediately flashes off and then goes back to the first startup
screen, listing devices, etc until it gets to the Windows screen again and
repeats the loop. I can see VERY briefly a blue screen with text in the
background just before it goes back to initial startup screens, but I can't
read what's on it - too fast.

If I hit F8 and try to boot in safe mode, it boots to safe mode then tells
me that Windows setup can't run in safe mode. When I click OK - the only
option - it goes back into the loop.

I've powered down the machine and removed the windows disk from the drive.
It still goes into the same loop and now I can't even access the PC at all!
Now I'm afraid it may be a hardware problem, but have not idea how to
determine that or to try to fix.

Please, please help. Thanks in advance....

--
Thanks,
Belinda

You could try a repair install, boot from the CD, do NOT use the
recovery console but let it go throught to the install window you
should then be given the option to do a repair install, this should not
delete his data.

Better still place his HDD into another computer as a slave drive or on
another IDE bus, back up his data to another drive or to CDs. You may
have to take contorl of his files and folders see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech.

Put the drive back into his computer and reformat the drive then
reinstall XP, don't forget to install the motherboard drivers that came
with the new mother board.

"BelindaF" <BelindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to help my brother. He had a friend do some major hardware
> upgrades to his pc, new motherboard (AMD 64?) CD/DVD. The copy of XP he
> gave
> her to install was corrupted (!?), so she installed XP for him.
>
> The problems noted were inability to set up a printer driver - when
> clicking
> on Add New Printer, got error message that it couldn't be done. Wasn't
> saving
> network connections, I couldn't find basic Windows system tools, such as
> Backup, Disk Cleanup, System Restore. Also, couldn't download Windows
> updates. I used some troubleshooting technicques that I found on this
> newsgroup. In that process, I realized that BITS wasn't on his pc either.
>
> At that point I suspected that his windows install must be a problem. I
> work
> for a software developer and am totally not into pirated software, so I
> insisted he buy a new copy of WinXP PRO. I've just tried installing that
> (Upgrade mode, as recommended).
>
> It appeared to be going fine, then during one of the times that Windows
> reboots the machine, it went into a loop. When it gets to the Windows
> startup
> screen it immediately flashes off and then goes back to the first startup
> screen, listing devices, etc until it gets to the Windows screen again and
> repeats the loop. I can see VERY briefly a blue screen with text in the
> background just before it goes back to initial startup screens, but I
> can't
> read what's on it - too fast.
>
> If I hit F8 and try to boot in safe mode, it boots to safe mode then tells
> me that Windows setup can't run in safe mode. When I click OK - the only
> option - it goes back into the loop.
>
> I've powered down the machine and removed the windows disk from the drive.
> It still goes into the same loop and now I can't even access the PC at
> all!
> Now I'm afraid it may be a hardware problem, but have not idea how to
> determine that or to try to fix.
>
> Please, please help. Thanks in advance....
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Belinda

Unplug all the nonessential hardware, and turn of onboard hardware in the
bios that you don't need, and then start over.

I love this forum! I did boot from the CD, and I also formatted the drive.
Because it had just been set up there was no data to worry about and the only
software that had been installed was Office XP. Things had been so buggy I
thought it best to have a clean start. It works!!! Thank you all so much!
--
Thanks,
Belinda

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

> You could try a repair install, boot from the CD, do NOT use the
> recovery console but let it go throught to the install window you
> should then be given the option to do a repair install, this should not
> delete his data.
>
> Better still place his HDD into another computer as a slave drive or on
> another IDE bus, back up his data to another drive or to CDs. You may
> have to take contorl of his files and folders see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech.
>

> Put the drive back into his computer and reformat the drive then
> reinstall XP, don't forget to install the motherboard drivers that came
> with the new mother board.

Belinda

Disconnect all external devices other than screen, keyboard and mouse..
internal devices that are relatively new should be ok..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland