Trying to move a drive from one XP comp to another

Hey:
I recently had a computer crash and was able to move the non boot drive
to another computer. The BIOS recognizes the drive. (They're identical WD
800BB drives on the newer comptuer.) WINDOWS will not recognize the slave
drive though.
Short of reformatting the drive, which i'd rather not do because I have
important info on it, how can I get Win XP Home to start using the drive.
(It shows up on Device Manager too, not in Explorer...
HELP!
9 answers Last reply
More about trying move drive comp another

    The jumpers may not be set properly? Did you actually ID the pin settings or
    just assume?

    j;-)

    "Lexstan" wrote:

    > Hey:
    > I recently had a computer crash and was able to move the non boot drive
    > to another computer. The BIOS recognizes the drive. (They're identical WD
    > 800BB drives on the newer comptuer.) WINDOWS will not recognize the slave
    > drive though.
    > Short of reformatting the drive, which i'd rather not do because I have
    > important info on it, how can I get Win XP Home to start using the drive.
    > (It shows up on Device Manager too, not in Explorer...
    > HELP!

    Jaymon:
    I DID ID the drives and change all of the jumpers to reflect
    master/slave. I moved the CD Rom to the Secondary Master as well.

    "Lexstan" <Lexstan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Jaymon:
    > I DID ID the drives and change all of the jumpers to reflect
    > master/slave. I moved the CD Rom to the Secondary Master as well.

    Lexstan:
    Did you access Disk Management to see if the drive is listed and there's an
    option to assign a drive letter to that drive?
    Anna

    I did go to Disk Management and it did not list the drive as recognizable.
    The only way I can get it to recognize would be to reformat it and I don't
    want to do that...

    >I did go to Disk Management and it did not list the drive as recognizable.
    > The only way I can get it to recognize would be to reformat it and I don't
    > want to do that...

    Lexstan:
    You mentioned both drives are Western Digital. You're *absolutely* certain
    that your Primary Master is jumpered for Dual (Master with Slave present)
    and *not* for Single?

    And you're *absolutely* certain that your Primary Slave (it *is* connected
    as a slave to the master, yes?) is jumpered as Slave?

    And you're *absolutely* certain your IDE cable connections to the
    motherboard's IDE connectors and the drives' connectors are securely
    fastened? Do you have another IDE cable available to replace the present one
    just in case there's something amiss with the cable?

    Assuming all the above is OK, any possibility that the problem drive is
    defective? (The fact that it's recognized in the BIOS is not an absolute
    certainty the contents of the drive are available for data access). Have you
    run WD's diagnostic on it?
    Anna

    I've done all of that and still nothing. It shows up in WD's diagnostic
    program as a physical drive but not a logical drive (or is that backward?) I
    put the drive in the old computer just to see if it would see it there and it
    does see it.
    hmmmmm...

    > I've done all of that and still nothing. It shows up in WD's diagnostic
    > program as a physical drive but not a logical drive (or is that backward?)
    > put the drive in the old computer just to see if it would see it there and
    > it
    > does see it.
    > hmmmmm...

    Lexstan:
    I don't understand your comment about the WD diagnostic program reporting
    that the drive is "a physical drive but not a logical drive" or vice versa.
    Is there some significance here? But you did run the WD diagnostic test and
    it checked out OK, right?

    So there's no problem accessing the drive when it's installed in the "old
    computer"? I take it that's the original computer from whence this drive
    came, yes? Anyway, now that you can access its data, can't you now copy
    whatever data you need to some removable media, CD, jump drive, etc.? And
    after doing so, reformat the drive, install it in your new computer and go
    on from there?

    I honestly don't know what else to suggest at this point.
    Anna

    Anna:
    That's what I was about to do yesterday. However, in the middle of all
    of this, I had a mirror drive die on a REALLY important computer and have to
    attend to getting a new drive and setting that back up first...
    Thanks for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it.

    "Anna" wrote:

    > >> "Lexstan" <Lexstan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >

    > >>"Anna" wrote:
    > >> Lexstan:
    > >> You mentioned both drives are Western Digital. You're *absolutely*
    > >> certain that your Primary Master is jumpered for Dual (Master with Slave
    > >> present) and *not* for Single?
    > >>
    > >> And you're *absolutely* certain that your Primary Slave (it *is*
    > >> connected as a slave to the master, yes?) is jumpered as Slave?
    > >>
    > >> And you're *absolutely* certain your IDE cable connections to the
    > >> motherboard's IDE connectors and the drives' connectors are securely
    > >> fastened? Do you have another IDE cable available to replace the >>
    > >> present one just in case there's something amiss with the cable?
    > >>
    > >> Assuming all the above is OK, any possibility that the problem drive is
    > >> defective? (The fact that it's recognized in the BIOS is not an absolute
    > >> certainty the contents of the drive are available for data access). Have
    > >> you run WD's diagnostic on it?
    > >> Anna
    >

    > "Lexstan" <Lexstan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've done all of that and still nothing. It shows up in WD's diagnostic
    > > program as a physical drive but not a logical drive (or is that backward?)
    > > put the drive in the old computer just to see if it would see it there and
    > > it
    > > does see it.
    > > hmmmmm...
    >

    > Lexstan:
    > I don't understand your comment about the WD diagnostic program reporting
    > that the drive is "a physical drive but not a logical drive" or vice versa.
    > Is there some significance here? But you did run the WD diagnostic test and
    > it checked out OK, right?
    >
    > So there's no problem accessing the drive when it's installed in the "old
    > computer"? I take it that's the original computer from whence this drive
    > came, yes? Anyway, now that you can access its data, can't you now copy
    > whatever data you need to some removable media, CD, jump drive, etc.? And
    > after doing so, reformat the drive, install it in your new computer and go
    > on from there?
    >
    > I honestly don't know what else to suggest at this point.
    > Anna

    Lex,

    You might try to get fdisk.exe on a boot disk and see if you can ID the disk
    or see at least if it is setup correctly for large disk access FAT32 and or
    if the partitions are setup correctly, if they are not then XP may be
    temperamental. Disk managers that come with HD's or at least the ones that I
    own, WD and Seagate have allowed too much or not enough space for partitions
    to breath. If you don't have a little extra buffer space on the drive it can
    foul up Windows not being able to see the drive properly or not at all. Using
    fdisk or XP's disk manager to do the calculating automatically allows the
    proper amount/ratio of the disk space w/buffer for partitions.

Computers Windows XP