Good Evening,

I have Win XP Home Edition, my computer crashed last night and I had to
re-install windows. I've been installing all my window updates but I keep
getting an error for Service Pack 1.

"The core system file (kernel) used to this computer is not a Microsoft
Windows file."

And Service Pack 2 has been trying to download to my D drive, which is an
external hard drive.....

Any help please?

See if this helps:

Error message: Windows has detected that one or more protected core system
files (kernel) on your computer have been modified:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327101

Note: You don't need to install SP1 before installaing SP2. SP2 (a
cumulative update) can be applied directly on a base XP installation.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org