Accessing programs on 'e' drive once new drive installed

I have a PC with a hard drive that is partitioned into 3. XP is 'c', ('d'
is DVD burner) . 'e' has my programs & 'f' is data.

If I were to put a second physical drive in I understand that it would
become 'e', then the current 'e' becomes 'f' etc.

If I were to do this what happens with my programs that are currently on
'c'? Would I still be able to access them? If not is there a way around
this problem?

--
Thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply

    The Old Timer wrote:
    > I have a PC with a hard drive that is partitioned into 3. XP is 'c', ('d'
    > is DVD burner) . 'e' has my programs & 'f' is data.
    >
    > If I were to put a second physical drive in I understand that it would
    > become 'e', then the current 'e' becomes 'f' etc.
    >
    > If I were to do this what happens with my programs that are currently on
    > 'c'? Would I still be able to access them? If not is there a way around
    > this problem?

    Hi

    What os do you have?

    Freddy

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:36:45 +0800, The Old Timer wrote:

    > I have a PC with a hard drive that is partitioned into 3. XP is 'c', ('d'
    > is DVD burner) . 'e' has my programs & 'f' is data.
    >
    > If I were to put a second physical drive in I understand that it would
    > become 'e', then the current 'e' becomes 'f' etc.
    >
    > If I were to do this what happens with my programs that are currently on
    > 'c'? Would I still be able to access them? If not is there a way around
    > this problem?

    If you were using Win9x, that is what would happen. With XP, the new drive
    will most likely show up as G: If it doesn't, you can use Disk Manager in
    Administrative Tools to reassign letters. The only drive you won't be able
    to change the letter on is C: since this is your boot and system drive.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    XP Pro.

    "Freddy" <freddy@remote-fixit.com> wrote in message
    > The Old Timer wrote:
    >> I have a PC with a hard drive that is partitioned into 3. XP is 'c',
    >> ('d' is DVD burner) . 'e' has my programs & 'f' is data.
    >>
    >> If I were to put a second physical drive in I understand that it would
    >> become 'e', then the current 'e' becomes 'f' etc.
    >>
    >> If I were to do this what happens with my programs that are currently on
    >> 'c'? Would I still be able to access them? If not is there a way around
    >> this problem?
    >>
    > Hi
    >
    > What os do you have?
    >
    > Freddy

    Thanks for that info. I have only just discovered Disk Management tools. I
    see they can do several things like creating partitions. Would I be correct
    in assuming that these functions only go so far & that if you wished to do
    things like change a partitions size what had data in it you would still
    need to use something like Partition Magic?

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:19:28 +0800, The Old Timer wrote:

    > Thanks for that info. I have only just discovered Disk Management tools. I
    > see they can do several things like creating partitions. Would I be correct
    > in assuming that these functions only go so far & that if you wished to do
    > things like change a partitions size what had data in it you would still
    > need to use something like Partition Magic?

    Yes, these tools are limited in much the same ways that fdisk was limited
    in Win9x. To resize partitions without losing the data stored on them,
    Partition Magic or similar would be the way to go.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Microsoft Windows XP