Partition Size for Windows XP PRO

July 19, 2005 10:36:03 PM

Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig hard
drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create smaller
partitions?
--
Thanks,
Belinda

Belinda, if you are formatting NTFS then no there's no size restriction.
Well, two terabytes but that's two thousand Gigs.
FAT32 has a 32G limit.
"BelindaF" <BelindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig
> hard
> drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create smaller
> partitions?
> --
> Thanks,
> Belinda
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:29:56 AM

In theory a FAT32 volume can be approximately 8 terabytes. The 32GB limit is
imposed by XP as far as what it will create/format as FAT32, but it will use
much larger volumes if they already exist :-)

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Belinda, if you are formatting NTFS then no there's no size restriction.
> Well, two terabytes but that's two thousand Gigs.
> FAT32 has a 32G limit.
> "BelindaF" <BelindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig
>> hard
>> drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create smaller
>> partitions?
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Belinda

July 20, 2005 7:29:57 AM

Thank you guys for your quick response!
--
Thanks,
Belinda

"John E. Carty" wrote:

> In theory a FAT32 volume can be approximately 8 terabytes. The 32GB limit is
> imposed by XP as far as what it will create/format as FAT32, but it will use
> much larger volumes if they already exist :-)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Belinda, if you are formatting NTFS then no there's no size restriction.
> > Well, two terabytes but that's two thousand Gigs.
> > FAT32 has a 32G limit.
> > "BelindaF" <BelindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig
> >> hard
> >> drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create smaller
> >> partitions?
> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >> Belinda

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:37:25 PM

"John E. Carty" <jecarty@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ctr2FOjFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In theory a FAT32 volume can be approximately 8 terabytes. The 32GB limit
> is imposed by XP as far as what it will create/format as FAT32, but it
> will use much larger volumes if they already exist :-)

I was going to say, I have a 120gig drive formatted as FAT32. I did it
during Windows ME. Had no problem upgrading to XP on it.

> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Belinda, if you are formatting NTFS then no there's no size
>> restriction. Well, two terabytes but that's two thousand Gigs.
>> FAT32 has a 32G limit.
>> "BelindaF" <BelindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig
>>> hard
>>> drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create
>>> smaller
>>> partitions?
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Belinda

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:47:12 AM

So, if you use the WinXP CD to format and create a partition then you
are limited to 32G using FAT32. I thought that
32G was a small number for todays hard drives. That makes much more
sense.
!