Partition Size for Windows XP PRO

Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig hard
drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create smaller
partitions?
--
Thanks,
Belinda

    Belinda, if you are formatting NTFS then no there's no size restriction.
    Well, two terabytes but that's two thousand Gigs.
    FAT32 has a 32G limit.
    "BelindaF" <BelindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig
    > hard
    > drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create smaller
    > partitions?
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Belinda

    In theory a FAT32 volume can be approximately 8 terabytes. The 32GB limit is
    imposed by XP as far as what it will create/format as FAT32, but it will use
    much larger volumes if they already exist :-)

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Belinda, if you are formatting NTFS then no there's no size restriction.
    > Well, two terabytes but that's two thousand Gigs.
    > FAT32 has a 32G limit.
    > "BelindaF" <BelindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig
    >> hard
    >> drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create smaller
    >> partitions?
    >> --
    >> Thanks,
    >> Belinda

    Thank you guys for your quick response!
    --
    Thanks,
    Belinda

    "John E. Carty" <jecarty@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In theory a FAT32 volume can be approximately 8 terabytes. The 32GB limit
    > is imposed by XP as far as what it will create/format as FAT32, but it
    > will use much larger volumes if they already exist :-)

    I was going to say, I have a 120gig drive formatted as FAT32. I did it
    during Windows ME. Had no problem upgrading to XP on it.

    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp
    >
    > "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Belinda, if you are formatting NTFS then no there's no size
    >> restriction. Well, two terabytes but that's two thousand Gigs.
    >> FAT32 has a 32G limit.
    >> "BelindaF" <BelindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig
    >>> hard
    >>> drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create
    >>> smaller
    >>> partitions?
    >>> --
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Belinda

    So, if you use the WinXP CD to format and create a partition then you
    are limited to 32G using FAT32. I thought that
    32G was a small number for todays hard drives. That makes much more
    sense.
    "BelindaF" <BelindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a maximim partition size for Windows XP PRO. I have a 232 gig
    > hard
    > drive (new) and am installing Windows XP PRO. Do I need to create smaller
    > partitions?
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Belinda