Need to Access my friends computer

Is there a free program that will allow me to access a friends computer.

I suppose it would be a program we would each install into our machines.
Then with permission
I would be access his hardrive. This is necessary to do and no need for
details why.

My friend lives in America and does not use windows messenger and is an AOL
member.
So, is there a peer to peer program to accomplish this? Not windows
Messenger.
We both use XP.

Also, my system says that my system settings prevent me from sending an
invitation. Where do I change
this on my XP?

Mickey
3 answers Last reply
More about need access friends computer

    "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote in message
    > Is there a free program that will allow me to access a friends computer.
    >
    > I suppose it would be a program we would each install into our machines.
    > Then with permission
    > I would be access his hardrive. This is necessary to do and no need for
    > details why.
    >
    > My friend lives in America and does not use windows messenger and is an
    AOL
    > member.
    > So, is there a peer to peer program to accomplish this? Not windows
    > Messenger.
    > We both use XP.
    >
    > Also, my system says that my system settings prevent me from sending an
    > invitation. Where do I change
    > this on my XP?
    >
    > Mickey

    Go to Help and Support and look at "Remote Assistance" (without the quotes)

    >>I'll ask again. I DO NOT WISH TO USE REMOTE ASSISTANCE WINDOWS PROVIDES
    Remote assistance requires both machines have Windows Messenger installed.
    My friend in the states has NOT! He subscibes to AOL! Now, is there a third
    party program we can both use our XP machines to access each others
    computer. Also, my windows tells me that system settings do not enable me to
    send an invitation for assistance. How do I change this system setting.

    Mickey

    Gordon, your a dill !

    > >>I'll ask again. I DO NOT WISH TO USE REMOTE ASSISTANCE WINDOWS PROVIDES
    > Remote assistance requires both machines have Windows Messenger installed.
    > My friend in the states has NOT! He subscibes to AOL! Now, is there a
    third
    > party program we can both use our XP machines to access each others
    > computer. Also, my windows tells me that system settings do not enable me
    > send an invitation for assistance. How do I change this system setting.
    >
    > Mickey
    >
    > Gordon, your a dill !
    > >>

    > > Go to Help and Support and look at "Remote Assistance" (without the
    > > quotes)
    > > Gordon

    If you go here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.msp

    you stupid little tick, it doesn't mention ANYTHING about having Windows
    Messenger installed. Do some research first before posting your little
    juvenile remarks on an ADULT newsgroup.

Computers Messenger Windows XP