Complete corruption of all files

I do not know what happened but when I booted on I found that I could not
open any file because the error message was that Windows could not open the
file. I needed to find the program that created it or try to open it with
with word pad. It opens of course but I cannot read it. I would like to get
System Restore to work as I don't know what caused the problem and maybe it
could restore or maybe not.
Any ideas on what went wrong and what I can do about it if anything? I am
truly desparte as I have two very important files that I cannot afford to
lose. I do hope someone can tell me what to do.

Take care, Irene

Open windows explorer, find the file you want to open, right click on
the file, go to Open with... , select the program that the file was
created in, hihlight the progran, tick the box that says "Always use
the selected program..........." click OK. If the program you want to
use is not listed use the Browsw button to find the required .exe file

Take care, Irene

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

> Open windows explorer, find the file you want to open, right click on
> the file, go to Open with... , select the program that the file was
> created in, hihlight the progran, tick the box that says "Always use
> the selected program..........." click OK. If the program you want to
> use is not listed use the Browsw button to find the required .exe file

Hi Irene,

What file types are you clicking on that will not open? .exe maybe?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

ridgerunner wrote:
> I do not know what happened but when I booted on I found
> that I could not open any file because the error message
> was that Windows could not open the file. I needed to
> find the program that created it or try to open it with
> with word pad. It opens of course but I cannot read it.
> I would like to get System Restore to work as I don't
> know what caused the problem and maybe it could restore
> or maybe not.
> Any ideas on what went wrong and what I can do about it
> if anything? I am truly desparte as I have two very
> important files that I cannot afford to lose. I do hope
> someone can tell me what to do.
>
> Take care, Irene

All of them. One in particular is called LNK. There is exe, com, etc. All
of the file types. There is not one single file that can be opened as the
filed want to know what program created it. Well, the program that created
it is among the ones that cannot be opened.
--
Take care, Irene

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Irene,
>
> What file types are you clicking on that will not open? .exe maybe?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> ridgerunner wrote:
> > I do not know what happened but when I booted on I found
> > that I could not open any file because the error message
> > was that Windows could not open the file. I needed to
> > find the program that created it or try to open it with
> > with word pad. It opens of course but I cannot read it.
> > I would like to get System Restore to work as I don't
> > know what caused the problem and maybe it could restore
> > or maybe not.
> > Any ideas on what went wrong and what I can do about it
> > if anything? I am truly desparte as I have two very
> > important files that I cannot afford to lose. I do hope
> > someone can tell me what to do.
> >
> > Take care, Irene

Hi Irene,

Try running Doug's Easy File Associations Fix.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

--

ridgerunner wrote:
> All of them. One in particular is called LNK. There is
> exe, com, etc. All of the file types. There is not one
> single file that can be opened as the filed want to know
> what program created it. Well, the program that created
> it is among the ones that cannot be opened.
>
>> Hi Irene,
>>
>> What file types are you clicking on that will not open?
>> .exe maybe?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> ridgerunner wrote:
>>> I do not know what happened but when I booted on I found
>>> that I could not open any file because the error message
>>> was that Windows could not open the file. I needed to
>>> find the program that created it or try to open it with
>>> with word pad. It opens of course but I cannot read it.
>>> I would like to get System Restore to work as I don't
>>> know what caused the problem and maybe it could restore
>>> or maybe not.
>>> Any ideas on what went wrong and what I can do about it
>>> if anything? I am truly desparte as I have two very
>>> important files that I cannot afford to lose. I do hope
>>> someone can tell me what to do.
>>>
>>> Take care, Irene

I can not download anything. The download turns into a file that cannot be
opened.

--
Take care, Irene

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Irene,
>
> Try running Doug's Easy File Associations Fix.
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> ridgerunner wrote:
> > All of them. One in particular is called LNK. There is
> > exe, com, etc. All of the file types. There is not one
> > single file that can be opened as the filed want to know
> > what program created it. Well, the program that created
> > it is among the ones that cannot be opened.
> >
> >> Hi Irene,
> >>
> >> What file types are you clicking on that will not open?
> >> .exe maybe?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://dts-l.org/

It looks like your only option is to do a repair install.
Boot from the XP CD, do Not use the repair console but go through to
the install screen, you should be given the option to do a repair
install. I would normally sugest to back up your data to a CD but as
you cannot open anything you will just have to take your chances.

Hi

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install by Michael Stevens MS-MVP: