Welcome screen, but no Login Names

I need help to remedy a problem that has developed with Win XP Home
Edition. One day, I turned on the PC and it loaded up the Welcome
screen and login Screen, but there were no log-in names to select. I
pressed Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice and a I get a log-in screen, but have
never had to put in a password before, so I am at a lost. It won't
just let me press enter and I can't get pass this point. F8, safe mode
does the same thing (stops at the login screen and the rest), so does
trying to boot to a command prompt. Nothing happens differently when I
select "Use the last good configuration. Basically I am stuck. I see
people with simular problems on the internet, but no one has come up
with a solution. Microsoft has a solution that remedies a problem
somewhat like this, but it requires that you access the registry, which
if I could do I would. I can't get that far. I am stuck at the screen
with no log-ins and the log-in screen with no password. I even tried
using administrator. Nothing! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

--
BroaddusPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Beginners Guides Forgotten Passwords & Recovery Methods - PCStats.com:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1501&page=5

--
Mark L. Ferguson