ASUS M6N Review

Flynn

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Thank you for this detailed review.

I have one concern, though:
The review of the ASUS M6800N Notebook doesn't mention anywhere that this Notebook is very easy to overclock, both GPU- and CPU-wise.

The Radeon Mobility 9600 is also underclockable, so it produces less heat and uses less power (just like PowerPlay, which still isn't supported by ATI drivers). This is done with the <A HREF="http://atitool.ocfaq.com" target="_new">ATITool</A>. Users posting on the <A HREF="http://www.kickme.to/asusm6n" target="_new">ASUS M6N Forum</A> have reached clockspeeds as high as 460/260 (GPU/Mem) with it.

To overclock the CPU they use <A HREF="http://www.podien.de" target="_new">CPUCool</A> with which they reached a maximum clockspeed of almost 1,8GHz on the M6700N 1,4GHz without any special cooling added.

If you take this into account, the M6N should easily compete with the other notebooks in the benchmark.

Please at least add a paragraph to the review stating that the clockspeeds are not fix but easily customizeable to your demand in every situation. That yould make the review a lot more complete.

Please excuse my not so perfect english, it's not my native language as I am german.

greetings,

Flynn

FAIRESTOFTHEMALL

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
Thanks for the info Flynn, I second your motion that the review be appended to reflect said features and then some...

I was less than thrilled with this review overall, and not because I own an Asus M6N and just can't take seeing it gettin beat by other units. To the contrary in fact, I expect *any* system with inferior hardware to lose when run against a system with superior hardware. Sorry, that just makes sense to me.

What makes absolutely NO sense to me is (a) why the author of this review chose to bench the M6N against a field of utterly incomparable systems (each of the competing units has at least one superior vital component or significantly higher GPU clock or BOTH) and then (b) seemed surprised when the M6N couldn't keep pace. I mean really, can anyone out there keep a straight face and say a Pentium M/PC2700/64MB Radeon 9600 sys has a chance in L of performing on par with a P4/PC3200/128MB Radeon 9700 sys? No, of course not (unless you're the person that wrote this ill-conceived review), you'd say 'dude, no way, apples and oranges man, DUDE!' or something to that effect.

Granted this is Asus we're talking about, the guys that managed Canterwood performance on Springdale, but that doesn't give anyone license to expect similar miracles on all their products. THG I love ya, and if ya published a review featuring the M6N run against TRULY comparable notebooks I'd be stoked to see the results, but as the review stands now I'm just really disappointed :[

fatsheep

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
I am fully agree!!!!
even the boxer has the weight seperated!
PM 1.7 DDR266 VS P4 DDR333?!

Asus am266d+Mp 2100 x 2.
DDR 512MB.
SCSI 64bit double.
17' flat,viewsonic.
MSI oem Ti4200 128mb RAM.