Windows Search crashes Windows Explorer

Our Network of XP Professional systems have been chugging along quite nicely
for a few years ago.

We operate a SUS server for updates to most of our systems and we deployed
SP2 & recent updates via this method.

Just recently one user found that when going to the Start Button -->
Search --> For files and folders...

That his task bar would crash and go away, then restart (as in the main
windows shell explorer process crashed)

Funniily enough a few days later another user started experiencing the
problem.

After a while one user stopped experiencing the problem and then it went
away completely... all seemed very strange.

Now I've just noticed the exact same problem on one of our Windows 2003
Standard systems.

Has anyone else experienced this problem recently?

Because of the way the problem has come and gone and more than one user has
been affected I feel it must be to do with updates to our systems applied
through SUS server.

I have been getting the same problem. I have users all over the place
who are having this happen and it also happens on my machine as well.
Then click Search, it opens then crashes the explorer.exe and I get
error messages in the Event Log. Anyone fix this?