vinCe

I ran CLean Disk for the first time about 3 days ago on my WinXPpro
SP2. Now I am seeing many filenames show up in blue lettering in
WinExplorer. Did I make a mistake?

Are there any special steps to be followed with respect to the
filenames that are now blue?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:joisd1tg61vo8f1g3102q566nlivr6kbti@4ax.com,
Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> I ran CLean Disk for the first time about 3 days ago on my WinXPpro
> SP2. Now I am seeing many filenames show up in blue lettering in
> WinExplorer. Did I make a mistake?
>
> Are there any special steps to be followed with respect to the
> filenames that are now blue?

They are compressed. See here for more information:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=534608

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

vinCe

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:59:12 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In news:joisd1tg61vo8f1g3102q566nlivr6kbti@4ax.com,
>Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> had this to say:

>> I ran CLean Disk for the first time about 3 days ago on my WinXPpro
>> SP2. Now I am seeing many filenames show up in blue lettering in
>> WinExplorer. Did I make a mistake?
>>
>> Are there any special steps to be followed with respect to the
>> filenames that are now blue?
>
>They are compressed. See here for more information:
>
>http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=534608
>
>Galen

Thanks for your reply.

Now another question(s):

Is there any need to uncompress these files?

It appears to me that these compressed files do not need to be
uncompressed to later run by clicking while using WindowsExplorer.

I have several hundred jpeg files on my HDD that I want to burn onto a
single CD-R disc volume, but I am not certain that they all will fit.
I plan to compress these files prior to burning onto a data CDrom
project. Once having done this, will IrfanView or another image
editor/viewer work properly with the compressed files from the DVD
reader ?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:n43td15c7noosvomuu0kbndbld6g54fil9@4ax.com,
Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:59:12 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In news:joisd1tg61vo8f1g3102q566nlivr6kbti@4ax.com,
>> Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> had this to say:

>>> I ran CLean Disk for the first time about 3 days ago on my WinXPpro
>>> SP2. Now I am seeing many filenames show up in blue lettering in
>>> WinExplorer. Did I make a mistake?
>>>
>>> Are there any special steps to be followed with respect to the
>>> filenames that are now blue?
>>
>> They are compressed. See here for more information:
>>
>> http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=534608
>>
>> Galen
>

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Now another question(s):
>
> Is there any need to uncompress these files?
>
> It appears to me that these compressed files do not need to be
> uncompressed to later run by clicking while using WindowsExplorer.
>
> I have several hundred jpeg files on my HDD that I want to burn onto a
> single CD-R disc volume, but I am not certain that they all will fit.
> I plan to compress these files prior to burning onto a data CDrom
> project. Once having done this, will IrfanView or another image
> editor/viewer work properly with the compressed files from the DVD
> reader ?

Hmm... I *think* that when you copy the compressed files to a disk that's
not formatted as NTFS you will lose your compression. You will need to
compress them with a third party utility for that to work. Do you need to
decompress them? Well, is everything working okay? So long as you didn't do
anything obscure or silly (like compressing system files or the like) you
should be all set. The compression is one of the added features of using the
NTFS format and as such if you move the content to another drive and the OS
that's using that drive is also NTFS you should be able to decompress them
as well. (Unless, of course, you've also encrypted them but that's another
matter.)

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Vince wrote:
> I ran CLean Disk for the first time about 3 days ago on my WinXPpro
> SP2. Now I am seeing many filenames show up in blue lettering in
> WinExplorer. Did I make a mistake?
>
> Are there any special steps to be followed with respect to the
> filenames that are now blue?

By design, WinXP automatically compresses files that do not get used
frequently, and, if you've left the default settings intact, displays
those files in blue. Also by default, running Disk Cleanup compresses
unused files, after first asking if you want to do so.

If you wish to change this behavior, in Windows Explorer, click
Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced settings: Show encrypted or
compressed NTFS files in color.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I ran CLean Disk for the first time about 3 days ago on my
> WinXPpro
> SP2. Now I am seeing many filenames show up in blue lettering
> in
> WinExplorer. Did I make a mistake?
>
> Are there any special steps to be followed with respect to the
> filenames that are now blue?

The bluefile names indicated that the files are compresed using NTFS
compresion, it’s nothing to be worried about, it just means that
if/when you access the files it will take just a little longer as
windows has to decompress the files befor use.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Clean-Disk-ftopict398313.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1314782

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:59:12 -0400, "Galen"
> <galennews@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In news:joisd1tg61vo8f1g3102q566nlivr6kbti@4ax.com,
> >Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> >> I ran CLean Disk for the first time about 3 days ago on my
> WinXPpro
> >> SP2. Now I am seeing many filenames show up in blue
> lettering in
> >> WinExplorer. Did I make a mistake?
> >>
> >> Are there any special steps to be followed with respect to
> the
> >> filenames that are now blue?
> >
> >They are compressed. See here for more information:
> >
> >http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=534608
> >
> >Galen
>

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Now another question(s):
>
> Is there any need to uncompress these files?
>
> It appears to me that these compressed files do not need to be
> uncompressed to later run by clicking while using
> WindowsExplorer.
>
> I have several hundred jpeg files on my HDD that I want to
> burn onto a
> single CD-R disc volume, but I am not certain that they all
> will fit.
> I plan to compress these files prior to burning onto a data
> CDrom
> project. Once having done this, will IrfanView or another
> image
> editor/viewer work properly with the compressed files from the
> DVD
> reader ?

As I said, it is nothing to worry about, if you compressed a large
file (say over 50MB) you probably wantt o onsider decomprissing it, as
the larger the compresed file, the worse the performance of the
reading/writing of the file will be, but other wise there is no need.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Clean-Disk-ftopict398313.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1315332