A little suggestion for PCI owners???

trusnoop

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2001
My computer has no AGP slot which means I'm stuck with PCI, for upgrading video cards. I'm running a PIII 600/133, 192 Meg. RAM, and voodoo 3 2000. I wanna get a better PCI vid card cause some new games lag at bout 1024 X 768 with the extras turned on. I don't wanna turn um off, so if u have any suggestions for a PCI vid card around $150 please let me know.
I looked around on the net, but got confused when I saw that some video cards perform better in fps at high resolution even when they have a less powerfull Core Clock speed. What's up with that?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by trusnoop on 03/31/01 08:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are a few PCI cards I know: G450, Voodoo4 4500 and... hmmm not much. But I wouldn't get a Voodoo because there's no more support...

------------------
This site is cool.

G

Head over to www.pricewatch.com and buy yourself a new motherboard that has AGP, then go buy any geforce 2 AGP card, and Rock and Roll! All in all it won't cost more than 250.00 American $$ and you can get away cheaper. You'll be happier in the long run if you get AGP.

Aklein

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
ATI now has a Radeon PCI and it uses 32megs of SDram. Do not know the performance of this board but if it compares to the Radeon 32meg SDram AGP board then it is faster than a MX in 32bit high resolution plus a great overclocker. ATI sells it for $129 and on the net I've seen it for $117. I may buy one and have a dual Radeon setup in my machine so that I can have Dual Monitors.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 03/31/01 08:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Both Hercules and Creative have brought out an geforce 2 MX,
that should cover the graphs. beware thou of your transfer rate there is a limit in PCI transfer rates and you'll hit them sooner than you think...