Font & Resolution

Hello!

i have a dell latitute c600 and i run a resolution at 1048 or 1280 the
screenfont looks smeary. Other if i run it at 1400. It looks sharp.
Well, is it a setup thing. If yes, how could i improve my font display. I
like to have it sharp at every resolution.
Anyway, which resolution should i use for a notebook? This has a 14"
screen.

byebye
Joerg

-----

DOh!

Whatever is the native resolution. It's the only one that looks good. Go to
support.dell.com and enter your tag number and it will tell you what you
have.

Tom
"Joerg Jaeger" <yester64@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hello!
>

> i have a dell latitute c600 and i run a resolution at 1048 or 1280 the
> screenfont looks smeary. Other if i run it at 1400. It looks sharp.
> Well, is it a setup thing. If yes, how could i improve my font display. I
> like to have it sharp at every resolution.
> Anyway, which resolution should i use for a notebook? This has a 14"
> screen.
>
> byebye
> Joerg
>
> -----
>
> DOh!

ahall

Tom> Whatever is the native resolution. It's the only one that looks good. Go to
Tom> support.dell.com and enter your tag number and it will tell you what you
Tom> have.

Wouldn't it also always be the max resolution XP
offered in the display dialog box?

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> Tom> Whatever is the native resolution. It's the only one that looks
> good. Go to
> Tom> support.dell.com and enter your tag number and it will tell you
> what you
> Tom> have.
>
> Wouldn't it also always be the max resolution XP
> offered in the display dialog box?
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Not on my machine. My Samsung 213T is max of 1600x1200 but XP offers me
3200x1200. Interestingly, when I just tried it, I got an XP warning that I
didn't have rights to change it (which I do) and now magically the max IS
1600x1200.

That said, some drivers allow the choice of a higher resolution and then
scroll the window.

Hello <Tom>!

** Replying to a message in "</alt/sys/pc-clone/dell>" **

** 11.05.05 - 20:42, <tomtoo> wrote to :

> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Tom> Whatever is the native resolution. It's the only one that looks
>> good. Go to
>> Tom> support.dell.com and enter your tag number and it will tell you
>> what you
>> Tom> have.
>>
>> Wouldn't it also always be the max resolution XP
>> offered in the display dialog box?
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

> Not on my machine. My Samsung 213T is max of 1600x1200 but XP offers me
> 3200x1200. Interestingly, when I just tried it, I got an XP warning that I
> didn't have rights to change it (which I do) and now magically the max IS
> 1600x1200.

> That said, some drivers allow the choice of a higher resolution and then
> scroll the window.

By my installation it poped up with 1400.
But my real question is, in what resolution you guys work. This is my
first pc notebook. Had a Apple before.

byebye
Joerg

-----

Dude, where's my country?

ahall

>> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
news> kpgu0l9o642.fsf@panix2.panix.com...

Tom> Whatever is the native resolution. It's the only one that looks
>> good. Go to
Tom> support.dell.com and enter your tag number and it will tell you
>> what you
Tom> have.
>>
>> Wouldn't it also always be the max resolution XP
>> offered in the display dialog box?
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Tom> Not on my machine. My Samsung 213T is max of 1600x1200 but XP offers me
Tom> 3200x1200. Interestingly, when I just tried it, I got an XP warning that I
Tom> didn't have rights to change it (which I do) and now magically the max IS
Tom> 1600x1200.

Tom> That said, some drivers allow the choice of a higher resolution and then
Tom> scroll the window.

Interesting. I think both my laptops max at the
native.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

> >> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
> news> kpgu0l9o642.fsf@panix2.panix.com...
> >>
> Tom> Whatever is the native resolution. It's the only one that looks
> >> good. Go to
> Tom> support.dell.com and enter your tag number and it will tell you
> >> what you
> Tom> have.
> >>
> >> Wouldn't it also always be the max resolution XP
> >> offered in the display dialog box?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Andrew Hall
> >> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
>
> Tom> Not on my machine. My Samsung 213T is max of 1600x1200 but XP
> offers me Tom> 3200x1200. Interestingly, when I just tried it, I
> got an XP warning that I Tom> didn't have rights to change it
> (which I do) and now magically the max IS Tom> 1600x1200.
>
> Tom> That said, some drivers allow the choice of a higher
> resolution and then Tom> scroll the window.
>
> Interesting. I think both my laptops max at the
> native.

It's a function of the notebook video adapter. ATI has some adapters
using dedicated VRAM that will permit a larger than max "virtual"
resolution that scrolls the screen. Nvidia is an unknown for me.
Generally, adapters with shared memory do not allow anything beyond max.

Tom> Whatever is the native resolution. It's the only one that looks good.
Go to
Tom> support.dell.com and enter your tag number and it will tell you what
you
Tom> have.

First off, I disagree that the native resolution is the "only" one that
looks good. Not true at all. In my case, it's actually worse.

I have a i8600 with W-UXGA. (If you're not familiar with W-UXGA (W=wide
screen) the print is small. REALLY small. It's hard to use the computer for
word processing, spreadsheets and the like; for very long.

So I changed the resolution from W-UXGA (1920x1200) down to W-XGA (1280x800)
set the screen back to 96 DPI, used small icons and changed to Tacoma 8pt
for the menus, and it's perfect! Fonts are fine (nothing to complain
about).

Now the way I see it, I normally run at W-XGA (and it looks good!) but can
switch to W-UXGA at any time (games etc.)

So in this case, with W-UXGA LCD's, the best and most usable setting is
actually lower resolution.

MUCH better than the native resolution; and it looks really good.

Same here. I don't know what a UXGA or a XGA is but I was NOT happy with
the 1680x1050 native res on my UltraSharp 2005FPWidescreen. Even if I could
have read the text as small as it was, it just looked awful and I couldn't
use the portrait screen mode in any other res but native. So I did as one
gentleman here suggested. Changed to the native res and changed my dpi to
118% and enabled Clear Type. Now my images aren't stretched horizontally
and text is large enough to see. I have encountered a couple minor
cosmetic flaws but it's worth it.
Monica