Changing product key

July 20, 2005 2:09:41 PM

I purchased a laptop for resale - as an OEM and had my vendor pre-install
the OS (XP Pro sp2) on the machine with the intent of branding and changing
the product key to that which was purchased by my customer. The branding
went off with out a hitch but I can't get the installation invalidated to
change the product key per KB328874. I need to take care of this before I
deliver the system so if anyone has a clue, please advise me as soon as
possible. Thanks in advance.

--

Regards,

Jerry M. Gartner

More about : changing product key

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:30:16 PM

How to change the Windows XP Product Activation Key Code
http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/articles/change...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jerry M. Gartner" wrote:

| I purchased a laptop for resale - as an OEM and had my vendor pre-install
| the OS (XP Pro sp2) on the machine with the intent of branding and changing
| the product key to that which was purchased by my customer. The branding
| went off with out a hitch but I can't get the installation invalidated to
| change the product key per KB328874. I need to take care of this before I
| deliver the system so if anyone has a clue, please advise me as soon as
| possible. Thanks in advance.
|
| --
|
| Regards,
|
| Jerry M. Gartner
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:44:47 PM

Jerry;
That link only applies if both versions are identical.
Some of the differences that will prevent it from working:
OEM/Volume License/Retail
Upgrade/Full

If that is the case, you will need to perform a Repair Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Jerry M. Gartner" <user@examaple.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a laptop for resale - as an OEM and had my vendor pre-install
>the OS (XP Pro sp2) on the machine with the intent of branding and changing
>the product key to that which was purchased by my customer. The branding
>went off with out a hitch but I can't get the installation invalidated to
>change the product key per KB328874. I need to take care of this before I
>deliver the system so if anyone has a clue, please advise me as soon as
>possible. Thanks in advance.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry M. Gartner
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:21:45 PM

That's the info from the KB article cited in my original post - but thanks
anyway!

--

Regards,

Jerry M. Gartner