clean install of XP Pro w/out formatting hard drive

Before replacing my motherboard
1. I have Service Pack 2 installed

After replacing my motherboard...
1. I repaired my OS (Windows XP Pro) using the original XP disk (no
SP2)
2. But I can't connect to the Internet, and Office 2003 failed to run
so I borrowed my friends Win XP "WITH" Service Pack 2 (because I lost
SP2 disk)
3. I upgraded to SP2 but then I realized that it was not the final
version, it's a beta version! So things aren't running well.
4. I found my SP2 disk and tried to install it. But Windows says that I
have to uninstall the previous version of SP2 in my system.
5. The problem is that it is not listed in the Add/Remove program so I
head to the Windows Help online and found out that I have to install
the original XP CD.
6. When I reinstall the original CD, problems arise. Windows can't
complete the Setup.
7. I tried to delete the folders System32 and System under the Windows
directory. I knew there was a problem in 'updating' the system files.
8. I install the original XP CD but this time, I specified where to
install Windows. I chose "C:\WIN"
9. Installation was a success but when I logged on (after creating new
user accounts), my old files were not recognized as "My Documents" but
it is still on the "Documents and Settings" folder.
Also, the programs installed are not recognized yet it is still on the
Program Files folder.

How can Windows recognize those documents and programs? Do I have to
reinstall ALL OF THEM?

Pls. help...
4 answers Last reply
More about clean install formatting hard drive

    I have two OS installed. The one with C:\WINDOWS and the one using
    C:\WIN.
    How can I delete the other OS? Can it recognize my programs and
    documents after deleting the other OS or renaming C:\WIN (default OS
    directory) to C:\WINDOWS?

    GTS wrote:
> [...]

    > head to the Windows Help online and found out that I have to install
    > the original XP CD.
    > 6. When I reinstall the original CD, problems arise. Windows can't
    > complete the Setup.
    > 7. I tried to delete the folders System32 and System under the Windows
    > directory. I knew there was a problem in 'updating' the system files.
    > 8. I install the original XP CD but this time, I specified where to
    > install Windows. I chose "C:\WIN"
    > 9. Installation was a success but when I logged on (after creating new
    > user accounts), my old files were not recognized as "My Documents" but
    > it is still on the "Documents and Settings" folder.
    > Also, the programs installed are not recognized yet it is still on the
    > Program Files folder.
    >
    > How can Windows recognize those documents and programs? Do I have to

    Firstly, DO NOT rename your C:\WIN directory. That will cause serious
    problems with that installation of Windows and, to boot it at all, would
    require modification of boot.ini.

    Your summary is confusing and contains a few seeming contradictions. I
    think you should get some professional help or at least find a knowledgeable
    friend to help you at this point. If you fool around with ideas like the
    above you're probably going to trash the system completely and ultimately
    lose your data. At.this point it is would be best to back up documents and
    other data (like favorites, email files, etc.) to an external source,
    reformat the drive, install Windows, restore the data and reinstall
    programs. It is VERY rare advice for me to suggest a reformat but with two
    problematic installations of Windows apparently on the same partition, the
    purported beta service pack, etc. it might really be best in your case.
    --

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:03:40 -0400, "GTS" <x> wrote:

    >Firstly, DO NOT rename your C:\WIN directory. That will cause serious
    >problems with that installation of Windows and, to boot it at all, would
    >require modification of boot.ini.
    >
    >Your summary is confusing and contains a few seeming contradictions. I
    >think you should get some professional help or at least find a knowledgeable
    >friend to help you at this point. If you fool around with ideas like the
    >above you're probably going to trash the system completely and ultimately
    >lose your data. At.this point it is would be best to back up documents and
    >other data (like favorites, email files, etc.) to an external source,
    >reformat the drive, install Windows, restore the data and reinstall
    >programs. It is VERY rare advice for me to suggest a reformat but with two
    >problematic installations of Windows apparently on the same partition, the
    >purported beta service pack, etc. it might really be best in your case.

    1) It is not possible to do a "clean" installation without formatting
    at least 1 partition, on which XP will be installed.

    2) My advice to you is to stop messing around with your computer when
    you know absolutely nothing about it. Take it to a professional, or
    to someone who is truly knowledgeable about computers in general, and
    XP specifically, to have it cleaned up. To do this, at least one
    partition on the HD need to be deleted, then recreated and formatted.
    Make sure that the one who prepares your HD does a FULL format of the
    partitions he creates, and not "Quick" formats.

    3) Before you delete all partitions, back up the data you will need.
    It goes without saying that ALL your programs and data will have to be
    reinstalled, since a clean install of XP will destroy all programs and
    data. Also, make sure you have backups of the installers of each
    program, and make sure you have access to needed installation keys for
    each program which uses them. And make sure you have access to the XP
    drivers for each device on your computer, including the motherboard,
    video card, sound card, etc. If you do not have original installation
    CDs for each device, go to the device manufacturer's web site and
    download its latest XP driver, and burn them all to a CD.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread.
    If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    from my email address before sending.

Clean Install Hard Drives Windows XP