Move File command

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Can anyone here tell me If the Windows XP "MOVE" command leaves a copy of
the original file in the folder the file was MOVED from?. I used the move
command via XP to relocate some files from an old hard drive to a new hard
drive and in the process of renaming drives, I guess I lost the files I
wanted to save. Is it possible, the files still remain on the old drive,and
If so how can I recover them?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uNfg%23SUjFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
John <jdolajsgtnln@optonline.net> had this to say:

> Can anyone here tell me If the Windows XP "MOVE" command leaves a
> copy of the original file in the folder the file was MOVED from?. I
> used the move command via XP to relocate some files from an old hard
> drive to a new hard drive and in the process of renaming drives, I
> guess I lost the files I wanted to save. Is it possible, the files
> still remain on the old drive,and If so how can I recover them?

There is SOME chance that you can recover them. However, for all intents
they're gone. Check here:

Data Recovery Tools:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Can anyone here tell me If the Windows XP "MOVE" command
> leaves a copy of
> the original file in the folder the file was MOVED from?. I
> used the move
> command via XP to relocate some files from an old hard drive
> to a new hard
> drive and in the process of renaming drives, I guess I lost
> the files I
> wanted to save. Is it possible, the files still remain on the
> old drive,and
> If so how can I recover them?

the move command moves the files, just like if you where to cut and
paste the files, you should have used the copy command, this has the
same effect as copy and paste. Couldnt you just copy the files back?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Move-File-command-ftopict398391.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1315063