windows xp startup

Can any one help me as when the computer starts I get an error message saying
windows\system32\config\system is corrupt,
it then tells my to try using setup to repair this problem by using r.
but when I run setup I do not get the Option to repair only a new install
which I do not want to do.

Can any one help me please !!!!
4 answers Last reply
More about windows startup

    This issue can occur when the system or software hive for the Windows XP
    installation is damaged or missing.

    Suggestion 1
    ========
    Step 1. Start your computer with the Windows CD-ROM. At the "Welcome to
    Setup" screen, press F10, or press R to repair, and then press C to start
    the Windows Recovery Console.

    For more information about Recovery Console, please click the URL as
    follows:

    Description of the Windows Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/

    Step 2. In the Recovery Console, rename \Windows\System32\Config\Syste­m to
    \Windows\System32\Config\Syste­m.old, and then copy
    Windows\System32\Config\System­.sav to Windows\System32\Config\System­.

    To do so, type the following line at command prompt and press Enter after
    each line.

    Note: If your system is not installed in drive C, change it to the proper
    drive letter.

    C:

    Cd \windows\system32\config

    Rename system system.old

    Copy system.sav system

    Step 3. Type 'exit' to leave the command prompt and reboot the system.

    Suggestion 2
    =======
    If this issue persists, run a "sfc /purgecache" (without quotation) command
    in Recovery Console to purge the file cache. To do so, type the following
    command at command prompt:
    sfc /purgecache

    Suggestion 3
    ========
    If this issue persists, we need to perform an in-place repair. To do so:

    1. Set the BIOS to boot to the CD drive, by disabling all others or listing
    the CD first in the boot order.
    2. Insert the Windows XP CD.
    3. Ignore any "repair console" option. Select INSTALL. When XP sees the
    old system it should 'fix it' instead. You do not want a clean install.

    The in-place upgrade will overwrite all system files on the hard disk from
    the Windows XP CD.

    *********************
    Also, you may want to check out these web pages.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314874

    or
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    or
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318159

    Good luck.

    --
    Michael

    "Dave B" <Dave B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can any one help me as when the computer starts I get an error message
    > saying
    > windows\system32\config\system is corrupt,
    > it then tells my to try using setup to repair this problem by using r.
    > but when I run setup I do not get the Option to repair only a new install
    > which I do not want to do.
    >
    > Can any one help me please !!!!

    Thanks a lot Michael for your help all now working fine.

    "Michael T" wrote:

> [...]
    > the Windows XP CD.
    >
    > *********************
    > Also, you may want to check out these web pages.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314874
    >
    > or
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
    >
    > or
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318159
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > Michael
    >
    > "Dave B" <Dave B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can any one help me as when the computer starts I get an error message
    > > saying
    > > windows\system32\config\system is corrupt,
    > > it then tells my to try using setup to repair this problem by using r.
    > > but when I run setup I do not get the Option to repair only a new install

    What version of XP are you using. If Home Edition OEM then that is why you
    cannot repair. You could try downloading the bootdisks from MS.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994

    best of luck
    Neil

    > Thanks a lot Michael for your help all now working fine.

    Glad to hear it - and thank you for posting back with your results.

Windows XP