voodoo5

G

i was just wondering..why ppl saying voodoo is better then geforce??... i had voodoo5 5500 and geforce2mx. my friend keep on telling me to give up voodoo card...and keep the geforce...but i didnt..because i can see the picture quality is way better then my geforce2 mx with FSAA2x.

G

Well if FSAA is important to you (which depends on your tastes and the kind of games you play) then the VooDoo will look better. But you have to remember that 3dfx, makers of VooDoo, are out of business now. Updated drivers for your video card are very important and are often needed to get new games to run. With 3dfx gone they won't be making more drivers so you're kinda atuck. Maybe a VooDoo owner out there could tell you if there is any aftermarket/user-made drivers developing somewhere...???

Regards,
Warden

G

well lets not talk about driver in the future, because i can find the lattest driver from voodoosource.I need to know is , is voodoo really sucks? all it just geforce spending alots of money paying the forum to advertise for them ? :p

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am not sure if drivers written for Windows 2000 can be supported under the new Windows XP. If you were to upgrade to Windows XP and it works, I guess you should keep it if you were to upgrade again nest year. Remember, the Voodoo5 cost much more money than the GeForce MX (which also means you can sell it for more and upgrade to GeForce 3)

-------------
This site is cool.

G

well voodoo5 5500 is not cost more expensive then geforce2 mx. It just cost me 175 bucks cdn. A geforce2 mx is paying like 160 bucks...just 15 bucks different!

G

you are definately right :p i always wait for the suitable time to buy things :p

G

frankly speaking, to me is " yes". because i still got the source to get those driver update and also games fix. Beside that i am not trying to use this card for too long...maybe one year is the max. It is definately better then my previous geforce2 mx interms of 2d quality. Ofcourse i shouldnt compare this card with geforce2 mx. But ppl keep on telling me geforce2 mx is better then voodoo5 ..T&L engine...well i dont really see the benefit of that...maybe in future there is...but not right now.In future i hope geforce can benefit from buying voodoo company and come out with great card...if not..i will jsut shift to matrox card

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Matrox oo yeah. Although their 3D core is extremely weak. I have one and I think I made the right choice. :smile:

Yeah, those much hyped features are not really useful then it comes to practical use. Imagine the time that need to make software optimised for Pentium 4 when even Pentium 3's not optimised!

-------------
This site is cool.

G

This sounds like the time I bought my Syquest something or other (it was a removable cartridge...1 gig) I bought it a week after they (Syquest) went under. Got a good deal (surprise!!!)...only it was junk...rarely worked. It being a removable drive...I finally "removed" it to the trash. It sounds like the guy really likes the the Voodoo regardless of what anyone says. Personally I'd take either one...I'm still running an "ancient" TNT2 with a piddling 32mb's of ram

"A house divided against itself"...pretty much sucks as an investment opportunity.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Voodoo 5 5500 is ok in terms of quality, performance is average, and it is power hungry.

GF2 mx is average in terms of quality, performance is average, and it doesn't take too much power.

There you go, a very concise, indiscremenate comparison.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
GeForce is the best family of graphics cards. Have you ever looked at magazine advertisements? All use GeForce cards.

Voodoo5 picture quality is freakin' awsome, performance blows
GeForce family picture quality average, performance freakin' awsome

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Let's wait until the Radeon 2 pops up... something that can really compete with the GeForce 2. Though the GeForce 3 is already on the way... not faster, but certainly more visually appealing. ATI will really have to provide the competition for nVidia now that 3dfx has gone the way of skin-tight vinyl flairs with thongs.

Australian PMs are like steer horns; a point here, a point there, & a heap of bull in the middle.

G

oh no you are not. This place is for discussion right :p
Me myself like matrox card very much too.I used to have matrox g400... too bad the g450 is not for gamers.If not i will get matrox.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can always wait for g800... definitely not able to compete with geforce3 i think... but still maintains good driver support and 2d image quality.

-------------
This site is cool.

G

yes machow.....i am waitting for new matrox card.Thats why for the time being i am using v5 rather then geforce2 mx with the same price.

G

Yeah I really don't see the GeForce 2 MX being better if you have the drivers taken care of for the VooDoo. The MX DOES have transform and lighting, but I don't think this is a critical difference between the two. Let me explain. Within a year games will come out that will REQUIRE T&L to make them look good at all, but the MX is going to be too slow to power through these games anyway. Until that time, as long as your CPU is reasonably fast, the lack of T&L on the VooDoo really shouldn't matter much, and it will give you the FSAA option.

Cheers,
Warden

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think all those benchmarks in 3DMark2001 is simply unpratical. GeForce loves it because it could handle T&L. Guys! Don't be blinded by great graphics in 3DMark!

-------------
This site is cool.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
not able to compete with geforce3? LOL

it's barely in beta stage (G800) and last i heard was going to be planned for AGP 8x.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

Well I'm not sure if you were talking to me machow, but I have never run 3DMark2001. My comment on T&L soon being a necessity comes from my reviews of future game engines (example: Unreal 2) and from comments that game developers have posted online--with a little of my own gut feeling tossed in too. :) Now don't misunderstand me to say that the GeForce 2 MX will be useless in a year. No, rather I mean it will me the minimum requirement by then, and will not run games at the maximum polygon settings.

Regards,
Warden