Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!

Whenever I open explorer (not IE) and attempt to delete files I get a box
saying: Runtime Error! Program: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe abnormal program
termination (OK). If I click the explorer window the dialogue box disappears
behind the explorer window and I can continue deleting files etc. However
when I finally click the (OK) in the error box, All the Icons on my desktop
disappear for about 15 seconds and then reappear as if nothing is wrong. But
sometimes the icons do not reappear and then I have to use the Ctl-Alt-Del
method to restart the computer. What is happening and how can I fix it
without reinstalling windows XP SP2.

Rich
1 answer Last reply
More about microsoft visual runtime library runtime error

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Rich" wrote:

    | Whenever I open explorer (not IE) and attempt to delete files I get a box
    | saying: Runtime Error! Program: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe abnormal program
    | termination (OK). If I click the explorer window the dialogue box disappears
    | behind the explorer window and I can continue deleting files etc. However
    | when I finally click the (OK) in the error box, All the Icons on my desktop
    | disappear for about 15 seconds and then reappear as if nothing is wrong. But
    | sometimes the icons do not reappear and then I have to use the Ctl-Alt-Del
    | method to restart the computer. What is happening and how can I fix it
    | without reinstalling windows XP SP2.
    |
    | Rich

Runtime Microsoft Explorer Windows XP