"The system cannot log you on... "

I recently had a serious hardware failure which was causing spontaneous
reboots. Naturally, this was hosing Windows XP Pro, as at each restart the
automatic disk check was finding lots of cross-linked, wrongly allocated,
etc. files, many of them in the system or system32 folder. I completely
rebuilt the system with all new components except the drives (which weren't
the issue to begin with). Once I got the system rebuilt, I got a blue screen
"Stop" message at bootup. I have a slipstreamed (XP w/SP2) install CD, so I
booted into it and selected the option to repair the current installation,
which it proceeded to do.

Everything went swimmingly until the final restart, whereupon the logon
screen was presented. I entered my password (the one which existed for the

"The system cannot log you on due to the following error:

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Please try again or consult your system administrator."

I have tried logging in under Administrator, my original user name, with and
without a password entered, etc. There is no domain controller (this is a
home setup). I've Googled on the error text and gotten a ton of Active
Directory stuff, Group Policy stuff, etc., but nothing which seems to be
germane to my situation. Any suggestions would be quite welcome. Thank you.

Cheers,
Scott

Reset the workgroup name, and create a new user.

Press WinKey-Break,(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl'), Computer Name Tab, click Change button

--
Mark L. Ferguson