RPC Locator Application Error

At logon user is getting a message saying that Rpc Locator has encountered a
problem and needs to close.

The Event Viewer tells me that it was an application error and the ID is
1000. I found no help on MS website.

Has anyone encountered this problem and how did you fix it? This is the
third machine/user that this has happened to.

Any help is appreciated,
Jay

An Event ID # by itself means absolutely nothing. You need the Event Source
also.

If you do not need it, disable the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
service.

This service is used by IIS to register what computers available for remote
administration.

If something on your network breaks after you disable this service, put it
back to manual.

*If your connection fails after Disabling this service, set it to Manual.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2FC2293B-A715-41A3-8329-57F42574C097@microsoft.com,
Jay Marshall <JayMarshall@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> At logon user is getting a message saying that Rpc Locator has
> encountered a problem and needs to close.
>
> The Event Viewer tells me that it was an application error and the ID is
> 1000. I found no help on MS website.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem and how did you fix it? This is the
> third machine/user that this has happened to.
>
> Any help is appreciated,
> Jay

The Event Source is Application Error, and if I need the Rpc Locator to
connect to these machines remotely and view if they are on the network or
not, then I cannot disable it.

It was only happening right after logon, but now user is complaining that it
happens more frequently.

Thanks again.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> An Event ID # by itself means absolutely nothing. You need the Event Source
> also.
>
> If you do not need it, disable the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
> service.
>
> This service is used by IIS to register what computers available for remote
> administration.
>
> If something on your network breaks after you disable this service, put it
> back to manual.
>
> *If your connection fails after Disabling this service, set it to Manual.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:2FC2293B-A715-41A3-8329-57F42574C097@microsoft.com,
> Jay Marshall <JayMarshall@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > At logon user is getting a message saying that Rpc Locator has
> > encountered a problem and needs to close.
> >
> > The Event Viewer tells me that it was an application error and the ID is
> > 1000. I found no help on MS website.
> >
> > Has anyone encountered this problem and how did you fix it? This is the
> > third machine/user that this has happened to.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated,
> > Jay

ID: 1000
Source: Application Error
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=Application+Error&EvtID=1000&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.2

Search The Knowledge Base For: Rpc Locator has encountered a problem and
needs to close
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&query=Rpc+Locator+has+encountered+a+problem+and+needs+to+close&x=8&y=10

Rpc Locator has encountered a problem and needs to close
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=Rpc+Locator+has+encountered+a+problem+and+needs+to+close&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

Corrupted Windows XP system files cause event IDs 1000, 4609, or 1000 in the
Application event log
http://www.jsifaq.com/subo/tip7100/rh7193.htm

This was
Event IDs 1000, 8193, or 4609 in the Windows XP Application Event Log
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823772
but MS pulled the article.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.