Defrag prog missing

July 20, 2005 7:06:09 PM

HOw do I replace the windows defrag program? For some reason it is missing
from my windows folder.

More about : defrag prog missing

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:11:42 PM

Restore Accessories and System Tools
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"artzelda" wrote:

| HOw do I replace the windows defrag program? For some reason it is missing
| from my windows folder.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:11:51 AM

go to C:\Windows>inf>dfrg.inf (it might just be dfrg), right click>install.
You will need to un-hide your files, to do that right click
start>explore>tools>folder options>view> and place a mark next to 'show
hidden folders & files.

> Restore Accessories and System Tools
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "artzelda" wrote:
>
> | HOw do I replace the windows defrag program? For some reason it is
> missing
> | from my windows folder.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:56:02 PM

FOUND THE ANSWER AT THE DISKKEEPER SITE

The Default (built-in) defragmenter does not return or function after
uninstalling Diskeeper on Windows 2000/XP.

The uninstaller may not have restored the default defragmentation
registry entry. Please use the steps below.

Note: in line 5, the string starts with C:. If you have Windows installed to
a different partition, replace C with the letter of that partition.

Before you begin any editing of the registry, always remember to update your
emergency repair disk (ERD).

1. Click Start, Run. Type "regedit" in the text box and click OK.
2. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, double click SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then
Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Explorer, then MyComputer
3. Click DefragPath
4. In the right-hand pane, double click (Default). This will bring up and
Edit String window.
5a. For Windows XP: Change the string to read "mmc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc %c:" and click OK.
5b. For Windows 2000: Change the string to read "C:\WINNT\system32\dfrg.msc
%c:".

Please Note: You may have your Windows 2000 or XP operating system installed
to a different directory from the default of C:\WINNT (for 2000) C:\Windows
(for XP). If so, modify the command above to reflect that correct directory
location.

Please Note: The difference between the two lines above is that the Windows
XP string begins with "mmc.exe", and the Windows 2000 string does not.

6. Close the registry.
7. Open the Command Prompt; To open the command prompt, click Start, point
to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
8. Type "CD \WINDOWS\system32" and press Enter. (the Note above applies here
also)
9. Type "Regsvr32.exe DfrgSnap.dll" and press Enter.
10. A window will appear confirming the success of the registration; select
OK.

You should then be able to use the included default defragmenter in Windows
2000 or XP.

Now select START\PROGRAMS\ACCESSORIES\SYSTEMTOOLS and right click on
DISKDEFRAGMENTER, then click Properties. Change the Target box to:

%systemroot%\System32\dfrg.msc

July 22, 2005 11:36:31 PM

"" wrote:
> go to C:Windows>inf>dfrg.inf (it might just be dfrg), right
> click>install.
> You will need to un-hide your files, to do that right click
> start>explore>tools>folder options>view> and place a mark next
> to 'show
> hidden folders & files.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
> message
> > Restore Accessories and System Tools
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
> Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

> -----------------------------
> >
> > "artzelda" wrote:
> >
> > | HOw do I replace the windows defrag program? For some
> reason it is
> > missing
> > | from my windows folder.

You know there is a good chance this fella is looking for old style
win9x/me defrag program, obviusly it isnt on xp, try opening the run
dialog box and typing "dfrg.msc" (with out "") see how far that gets
you.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Defrag-prog...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1315981
February 17, 2009 2:42:49 AM

I tried all of this and it still will not defrag.

Quote:

[...]

February 17, 2009 2:43:58 AM

How can you get the windows xp defrag back on your system when I have tried all of the above and it still won't work?
!