Defrag prog missing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

HOw do I replace the windows defrag program? For some reason it is missing
from my windows folder.
6 answers Last reply
More about defrag prog missing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Restore Accessories and System Tools
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "artzelda" wrote:

    | HOw do I replace the windows defrag program? For some reason it is missing
    | from my windows folder.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    go to C:\Windows>inf>dfrg.inf (it might just be dfrg), right click>install.
    You will need to un-hide your files, to do that right click
    start>explore>tools>folder options>view> and place a mark next to 'show
    hidden folders & files.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    news:uvQNDgXjFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Restore Accessories and System Tools
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "artzelda" wrote:
    >
    > | HOw do I replace the windows defrag program? For some reason it is
    > missing
    > | from my windows folder.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    FOUND THE ANSWER AT THE DISKKEEPER SITE

    The Default (built-in) defragmenter does not return or function after
    uninstalling Diskeeper on Windows 2000/XP.


    The uninstaller may not have restored the default defragmentation
    registry entry. Please use the steps below.

    Note: in line 5, the string starts with C:. If you have Windows installed to
    a different partition, replace C with the letter of that partition.

    Before you begin any editing of the registry, always remember to update your
    emergency repair disk (ERD).

    1. Click Start, Run. Type "regedit" in the text box and click OK.
    2. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, double click SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then
    Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Explorer, then MyComputer
    3. Click DefragPath
    4. In the right-hand pane, double click (Default). This will bring up and
    Edit String window.
    5a. For Windows XP: Change the string to read "mmc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc %c:" and click OK.
    5b. For Windows 2000: Change the string to read "C:\WINNT\system32\dfrg.msc
    %c:".

    Please Note: You may have your Windows 2000 or XP operating system installed
    to a different directory from the default of C:\WINNT (for 2000) C:\Windows
    (for XP). If so, modify the command above to reflect that correct directory
    location.

    Please Note: The difference between the two lines above is that the Windows
    XP string begins with "mmc.exe", and the Windows 2000 string does not.

    6. Close the registry.
    7. Open the Command Prompt; To open the command prompt, click Start, point
    to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    8. Type "CD \WINDOWS\system32" and press Enter. (the Note above applies here
    also)
    9. Type "Regsvr32.exe DfrgSnap.dll" and press Enter.
    10. A window will appear confirming the success of the registration; select
    OK.

    You should then be able to use the included default defragmenter in Windows
    2000 or XP.


    Now select START\PROGRAMS\ACCESSORIES\SYSTEMTOOLS and right click on
    DISKDEFRAGMENTER, then click Properties. Change the Target box to:

    %systemroot%\System32\dfrg.msc

    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > go to C:Windows>inf>dfrg.inf (it might just be dfrg), right
    > click>install.
    > You will need to un-hide your files, to do that right click
    > start>explore>tools>folder options>view> and place a mark next
    > to 'show
    > hidden folders & files.
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    > news:uvQNDgXjFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > > Restore Accessories and System Tools
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    > Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    > >
    > >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------
    > -----------------------------
    > >
    > > "artzelda" wrote:
    > >
    > > | HOw do I replace the windows defrag program? For some
    > reason it is
    > > missing
    > > | from my windows folder.

    You know there is a good chance this fella is looking for old style
    win9x/me defrag program, obviusly it isnt on xp, try opening the run
    dialog box and typing "dfrg.msc" (with out "") see how far that gets
    you.

    --
    Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Defrag-prog-missing-ftopict398542.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1315981
  5. I tried all of this and it still will not defrag.

    Quote:
    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    FOUND THE ANSWER AT THE DISKKEEPER SITE

    The Default (built-in) defragmenter does not return or function after
    uninstalling Diskeeper on Windows 2000/XP.


    The uninstaller may not have restored the default defragmentation
    registry entry. Please use the steps below.

    Note: in line 5, the string starts with C:. If you have Windows installed to
    a different partition, replace C with the letter of that partition.

    Before you begin any editing of the registry, always remember to update your
    emergency repair disk (ERD).

    1. Click Start, Run. Type "regedit" in the text box and click OK.
    2. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, double click SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then
    Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Explorer, then MyComputer
    3. Click DefragPath
    4. In the right-hand pane, double click (Default). This will bring up and
    Edit String window.
    5a. For Windows XP: Change the string to read "mmc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc %c:" and click OK.
    5b. For Windows 2000: Change the string to read "C:\WINNT\system32\dfrg.msc
    %c:".

    Please Note: You may have your Windows 2000 or XP operating system installed
    to a different directory from the default of C:\WINNT (for 2000) C:\Windows
    (for XP). If so, modify the command above to reflect that correct directory
    location.

    Please Note: The difference between the two lines above is that the Windows
    XP string begins with "mmc.exe", and the Windows 2000 string does not.

    6. Close the registry.
    7. Open the Command Prompt; To open the command prompt, click Start, point
    to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    8. Type "CD \WINDOWS\system32" and press Enter. (the Note above applies here
    also)
    9. Type "Regsvr32.exe DfrgSnap.dll" and press Enter.
    10. A window will appear confirming the success of the registration; select
    OK.

    You should then be able to use the included default defragmenter in Windows
    2000 or XP.


    Now select START\PROGRAMS\ACCESSORIES\SYSTEMTOOLS and right click on
    DISKDEFRAGMENTER, then click Properties. Change the Target box to:

    %systemroot%\System32\dfrg.msc

    >
    >
  6. How can you get the windows xp defrag back on your system when I have tried all of the above and it still won't work?
Ask a new question

Read More

Support Defragment Microsoft Windows XP