Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello:

I don't know how it happened, but "My Computer" has disappeared. I can get
to it from a straight explorer, but it's gone from my Start Menu and any
program now that opens a "Select Folder" type dialog opens My Network Places
and My Computer cannot be accessed.

Note I keep it off my desktop, but even if I try to re-enable it on the
desktop (Display-->Desktop-->Customize Desktop, Select it, OK), it doesn't
work. When I go to Customize Start Menu, It's Listed as "Display as a Menu"
but won't show up !!?? Kindof wierd?? My guess is some line(s) in the
Registry got erased somehow. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Robert,

See if this command gets back the My Computer icon. Type in Start, Run:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Bob" <whoopiea@whoopie.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I don't know how it happened, but "My Computer" has disappeared. I can
> get to it from a straight explorer, but it's gone from my Start Menu and
> any program now that opens a "Select Folder" type dialog opens My Network
> Places and My Computer cannot be accessed.
>
> Note I keep it off my desktop, but even if I try to re-enable it on the
> desktop (Display-->Desktop-->Customize Desktop, Select it, OK), it doesn't
> work. When I go to Customize Start Menu, It's Listed as "Display as a
> Menu" but won't show up !!?? Kindof wierd?? My guess is some line(s) in
> the Registry got erased somehow. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the reply Ramesh,

I tried it, but it didn't change anything.

The most frustrating thing about this problem is that whenever I use the
Down Arrow in a directory dialog, instead of landing in My Documents or
somewhere in My Computer, I get a list of all folders under My Network
Places (which in my case is a huge list).

> Robert,
>
> See if this command gets back the My Computer icon. Type in Start, Run:
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Bob" <whoopiea@whoopie.com> wrote in message
>> Hello:
>>
>> I don't know how it happened, but "My Computer" has disappeared. I can
>> get to it from a straight explorer, but it's gone from my Start Menu and
>> any program now that opens a "Select Folder" type dialog opens My Network
>> Places and My Computer cannot be accessed.
>>
>> Note I keep it off my desktop, but even if I try to re-enable it on the
>> desktop (Display-->Desktop-->Customize Desktop, Select it, OK), it
>> doesn't work. When I go to Customize Start Menu, It's Listed as "Display
>> as a Menu" but won't show up !!?? Kindof wierd?? My guess is some
>> line(s) in the Registry got erased somehow. Any help is greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robert

Bob,

Is this registry key present? If so, export and post the contents here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

--

> Thanks for the reply Ramesh,
>
> I tried it, but it didn't change anything.
>
> The most frustrating thing about this problem is that whenever I use the
> Down Arrow in a directory dialog, instead of landing in My Documents or
> somewhere in My Computer, I get a list of all folders under My Network
> Places (which in my case is a huge list).
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Robert,
>>
>> See if this command gets back the My Computer icon. Type in Start, Run:
>>
>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Bob" <whoopiea@whoopie.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I don't know how it happened, but "My Computer" has disappeared. I can
>>> get to it from a straight explorer, but it's gone from my Start Menu and
>>> any program now that opens a "Select Folder" type dialog opens My
>>> Network Places and My Computer cannot be accessed.
>>>
>>> Note I keep it off my desktop, but even if I try to re-enable it on the
>>> desktop (Display-->Desktop-->Customize Desktop, Select it, OK), it
>>> doesn't work. When I go to Customize Start Menu, It's Listed as
>>> "Display as a Menu" but won't show up !!?? Kindof wierd?? My guess is
>>> some line(s) in the Registry got erased somehow. Any help is greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Robert

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ramesh:

Yes, that key is present. I also tried SFC.EXE" & " /SCANNOW and no luck.

Any more ideas?

Thanks again Ramesh for your reply!
(Sorry, I accidentally sent this reply as email the 1st time)

Bob

> Bob,
>
> Is this registry key present? If so, export and post the contents here:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Bob" <whoopiea@whoopie.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the reply Ramesh,
>>
>> I tried it, but it didn't change anything.
>>
>> The most frustrating thing about this problem is that whenever I use the
>> Down Arrow in a directory dialog, instead of landing in My Documents or
>> somewhere in My Computer, I get a list of all folders under My Network
>> Places (which in my case is a huge list).
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> See if this command gets back the My Computer icon. Type in Start, Run:
>>>
>>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Bob" <whoopiea@whoopie.com> wrote in message

Bob,

There is a Policy setting that I know, but that hides the My Computer icon
in the Start Menu AND in the Desktop ( and the user can't enable it). As
you're telling that the My Computer icon displays find in the Desktop, I
don't think it's the Policy setting that I was talking about.

In the original post, you stated:

>> and any program now that opens a "Select Folder" type dialog opens My
>> Network Places and My Computer cannot be accessed.

Can you give me an example, the program name?

--

> Ramesh:
>
> Yes, that key is present. I also tried SFC.EXE" & " /SCANNOW and no luck.
>
> Any more ideas?
>
> Thanks again Ramesh for your reply!
> (Sorry, I accidentally sent this reply as email the 1st time)
>
> Bob
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Bob,
>>
>> Is this registry key present? If so, export and post the contents here:
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Bob" <whoopiea@whoopie.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the reply Ramesh,
>>>
>>> I tried it, but it didn't change anything.
>>>
>>> The most frustrating thing about this problem is that whenever I use the
>>> Down Arrow in a directory dialog, instead of landing in My Documents or
>>> somewhere in My Computer, I get a list of all folders under My Network
>>> Places (which in my case is a huge list).
>>>

>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ramesh,

It could be the Policy (possibly)... can you tell me how to access it (I'm
using XP Home SP2 - the Group Policy Editor gives me nothing).

As for an example: When I open Notepad, File-->Open, then click the Down
Arrow on top ("Look In") I get My Recent Documents -- Desktop -- My Network
Places -- Entire Network -- Then all root folders on the network. My
Computer is nowhere inbetween or anywhere to ne found.

Wierd, huh??

Thanks, Bob

> Bob,
>
> There is a Policy setting that I know, but that hides the My Computer icon
> in the Start Menu AND in the Desktop ( and the user can't enable it). As
> you're telling that the My Computer icon displays find in the Desktop, I
> don't think it's the Policy setting that I was talking about.
>
> In the original post, you stated:
>
>>> and any program now that opens a "Select Folder" type dialog opens My
>>> Network Places and My Computer cannot be accessed.
>
> Can you give me an example, the program name?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Bob" <whoopiea@whoopie.com> wrote in message
>> Ramesh:
>>
>> Yes, that key is present. I also tried SFC.EXE" & " /SCANNOW and no
>> luck.
>>
>> Any more ideas?
>>
>> Thanks again Ramesh for your reply!
>> (Sorry, I accidentally sent this reply as email the 1st time)
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Bob,
>>>
>>> Is this registry key present? If so, export and post the contents here:
>>>
>>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Bob" <whoopiea@whoopie.com> wrote in message

Bob,

1. Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
2. Backup the branch to REG file.
3. In the right-pane, delete the value
{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
4. Restart Windows

If that does not help, export the contents of this key: Post it here.